Too Many OBDii Faults For My Liking!

I think the van in question is a T5.
However, my T6 has two reversing lights and two rear fogs :) (LHD). I think these configuration differences between countries are "caused" by national VW HQ's setting up their preferences of "baseline" for vehicles.
Yes it is T5 2014 and is a Highline, not sure if this makes a difference. Is the only way to check if a bulb is out to take out the light? Is it easy?

Last edited:
Thanks. Yes, they all open ok.

Interestingly Engine Live Data is actually missing almost all live data. However, there seem to be a few long term statistics remaining.

Especially I was expecting to see e.g. on lines 96-103, 143-148, 1069-1087 meaningful data. However, elsewhere seems to be some random data - not sure if they are only leftovers in testers memory, e.g line 518. Fuel level = 47 liters. Actually I'm expecting to see all the fields (1-1823) populated.

Also Central Electrics Live Data is missing a lot of data e.g. door status data - lines 17-23. However, not sure if you have cruise control as its data is empty.

So, hard to tell if all the above that is missing is just a shortcoming of Autel or real CANBUS communication issue.

I don't think the start/stop -thing gives us any more information. The battery management reports excellent charge level so it doesn't inhibit start/stop to kick in.
Recently I have re-set the cache on the device, I wonder if unplugging temporarily will make a difference! These results were got with the engine running, as like with the battery live data this seemed to populate more data than with engine off. I presume there is no benefit to driving the van too?

I don't think the start/stop -thing gives us any more information. The battery management reports excellent charge level so it doesn't inhibit start/stop to kick in.
To clarify, my point was that if the battery is being charged by the alternator fine, what's the problem? Or can other problems be caused?

RHD T3s had an empty holder for a nearside rear foglight and a populated one for offside. I assumed that this standard cheapskate lighting continues throughout all VWs offerings. UK law only requires one on the offside so VW were quids in.
I also assumed that I had no reversing light at all as I could see f**k all behind! ( better led bar being prepared at present)

Reactions: mmi
To clarify, my point was that if the battery is being charged by the alternator fine, what's the problem? Or can other problems be caused?
I do agree - no need for actions. Perhaps if you could in a month/two do another check for fault codes.

RHD T3s had an empty holder for a nearside rear foglight and a populated one for offside. I assumed that this standard cheapskate lighting continues throughout all VWs offerings. UK law only requires one on the offside so VW were quids in.
I also assumed that I had no reversing light at all as I could see f**k all behind! ( better led bar being prepared at present)
So are you saying you also only have one reversing light? As I definitely have two of those!

I do agree - no need for actions. Perhaps if you could in a month/two do another check for fault codes.
Many thanks. I will read all of the provided info with interest in any case and see where it gets me.

Hello all,

Some VCDS help required please.

The company which sold me the Autel MaxiAp AP200 have now accepted it will not do what I need (even though they advised it would) so are offering a refund.

If I was to invest in the correct VCDS please advise the best price anyone is away of. I have found the one below but wonder if it is possible to get it for less.

Ross-Tech VCDS HEX-V2 USB package for VW, Audi, Seat, Skoda cars (1996 on, 3 VIN limit)

EDIT: Can you also confirm VCDS only be used for VW/Audi?

Hello all,

Some VCDS help required please.

The company which sold me the Autel MaxiAp AP200 have now accepted it will not do what I need (even though they advised it would) so are offering a refund.

If I was to invest in the correct VCDS please advise the best price anyone is away of. I have found the one below but wonder if it is possible to get it for less.

Ross-Tech VCDS HEX-V2 USB package for VW, Audi, Seat, Skoda cars (1996 on, 3 VIN limit)

EDIT: Can you also confirm VCDS only be used for VW/Audi?
£225 is the standard price for that one
Ross-Tech VCDS

Thanks both of you.

I guess there's not going to be a way of arming myself with the proper VCDS for less money than this?! Presumably nobody does a one vehicle version?

Another couple of questions if you don't mind:
  • Is there generally enough cable to use a laptop from the passenger seat or will I need to get a USB extension?
  • Is there an option of a download rather than a software disk? As I only have MacBook not windows laptop and this doesn't have CD/DVD drive.

thanks Grim reaper

Looks like I might be able to instal boot camp windows on my Mac so I'll look into that but have access to an old laptop if I'm desperate.

I got the impression that even running a windows environment would not work..
Ah, no Intel processors seem OK

Seems that way from 1.8 on the link you sent. Do you think this will be for all devices they make?

I run mine on a mac book pro on windows 7 vm on fusion

One last question about this if you would be so kind.

I assume this isn't a one time only install, and that I can install it say on a windows laptop later if I decide I don't want it on the Mac anymore? Currently I still can't make up my mind as the bootcamp software takes a lot of space on the Mac.There is apparently a way to do this on a removable drive but it looks a bit involved.

Thanks

The license is within the VCDS cable so number of computers/installs used with the cable is not limited.

Thanks mmi. Will get one ordered and be back for help on how I code the battery properly and to see if I can find more out about the fault I still have.

Reactions: mmi
Back