Team Banded Brothers.

I’ve made a ‘school boy error’.
The wheels were powder coated 3 times due to issues at the painters. Result is the paint is thicker than it should be, but at least they shouldn’t rust quickly…

The issue is with the centre bore. Tight. You can see where I’m going with this!

I used wheel bolts to pull wheel onto centre bore thinking it would push out excessive paint. It did to a point. I needed a big lever to get one wheel off. Not tried other 3 yet.

So, I need to remove wheels and clean out the centre bore of paint. I was thinking a Stanley knife run around the CB.

Anyone had this issue and can offer some other potential solutions? I think I need to clear the bolt seats as well, but will look tomorrow.
Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks
I had to do the same with the first set I bought I couldn't get them to fit properly, a little bit of emery cloth to the centers and a little smidge of copper slip soon sorted it and the subsequent 3other sets:whistle:

To get them off if you thrash the side wall on the face off the wheel (N S E W )with a rubber mallet they will pop off easier, I know it sounds a bit brutal but it's easier then trying to knock them off from underneath.
Just speaking from experience

I had to do the same with the first set I bought I couldn't get them to fit properly, a little bit of emery cloth to the centers and a little smidge of copper slip soon sorted it and the subsequent 3other sets:whistle:

To get them off if you thrash the side wall on the face off the wheel (N S E W )with a rubber mallet they will pop off easier, I know it sounds a bit brutal but it's easier then trying to knock them off from underneath.
Just speaking from experience
No chance. These were on solid.
I tried a 2.4m lever with strap around top of tyre.
Bit of wood on inner rim and smacking it with a lump hammer.

Then found my solution. If anyone is as daft as me in the future and other methods above fail, then drill out the small 7.5mm hole on the PCD of the wheel bolts to 9mm and M10 tap it. You can then use an M10 bolt with some lube on the tread to ‘Jack the wheel off’!

The Stanley blade method on the CB then works a treat.

All sorted now

No chance. These were on solid.
I tried a 2.4m lever with strap around top of tyre.
Bit of wood on inner rim and smacking it with a lump hammer.

Then found my solution. If anyone is as daft as me in the future and other methods above fail, then drill out the small 7.5mm hole on the PCD of the wheel bolts to 9mm and M10 tap it. You can then use an M10 bolt with some lube on the tread to ‘Jack the wheel off’!

The Stanley blade method on the CB then works a treat.

All sorted now
Clean out the bolt holes too, not good to have the paint against the wheel bolt taper :thumbsup:

Morning all.
May be a strange question but has anyone put all terrain / SUV tyres on banded steels?
I’ve been using michelin latitude cross on my standard wheels over the winter and with all the pot holes around and camping i have been doing was thinking of putting some on my steels.
Any pics would be good as well.
Cheers
I use the suv crossclimate 2s on mine, absolutely great tyre, couldn't recommend enough. They are M+S and threepeak certified too etc

Hi all I’m a newbie on here but I’ve had t5’s for the last 10 years or so and I was hoping someone could help me, I’ve read through most of this thread trying to find confirmation before I click the button, I have banded 17” gp’s on my caravelle/multivan 9’s on the front and 9.5 rears rolling on 235/55/17 Dunlop sport max on the rear and 225/55/17 Dunlop sm on the front,
I’m wanting to lower the van and was considering the Bilstein b14 Komforts but don’t like the idea of them being on the lowest setting I’ve also been looking at So lows (which I’d prefer) and having them on the highest setting, I’ve found a couple of messages on here stating they run on similar set ups,
As anybody got this set up on a caravelle?
Will it rub because of the weight?
The door cards only just miss the wheels when open but will this cause an issue if lowering 100mm?

Thank you
Rob.

Hi all I’m a newbie on here but I’ve had t5’s for the last 10 years or so and I was hoping someone could help me, I’ve read through most of this thread trying to find confirmation before I click the button, I have banded 17” gp’s on my caravelle/multivan 9’s on the front and 9.5 rears rolling on 235/55/17 Dunlop sport max on the rear and 225/55/17 Dunlop sm on the front,
I’m wanting to lower the van and was considering the Bilstein b14 Komforts but don’t like the idea of them being on the lowest setting I’ve also been looking at So lows (which I’d prefer) and having them on the highest setting, I’ve found a couple of messages on here stating they run on similar set ups,
As anybody got this set up on a caravelle?
Will it rub because of the weight?
The door cards only just miss the wheels when open but will this cause an issue if lowering 100mm?

Thank you
Rob.
Are you lowered at all now? When you drop the wheels tuck more so you gain sliding door clearance.

Ref the coilovers, give Steve at CRS a call he'll go through some options with you.

I'm lowered 100mm from stock kombi height and I get no rubbing, 255s all round on 8.5s and 9s

Thank you
It’s running on standard shocks and springs atm (looks ridiculous with the banded wheels with the arch gap)
I’m happy that they tuck in on lowering for the door clearance
I’ve looked all over the forum for answers and done quite a bit of research I think I’m going to press the button on these so lows and the hr arb

Love the look of banded wheels in some of the pics in this thread. How much does it cost roughly to band a set of RR’s and who can do them?

Thank you
It’s running on standard shocks and springs atm (looks ridiculous with the banded wheels with the arch gap)
I’m happy that they tuck in on lowering for the door clearance
I’ve looked all over the forum for answers and done quite a bit of research I think I’m going to press the button on these so lows and the hr arb
As well as looking much better the drive with some decent coilovers and the arb combination is night and day, you won't regret it :thumbsup:

Love the look of banded wheels in some of the pics in this thread. How much does it cost roughly to band a set of RR’s and who can do them?
Check out bandedsteelwheels.co.uk

I don't know if they do the RRs but Duchy no longer selling

Gents, anyone ever weighed a set of Amaroks? 8.5 and 9in?
Not sure if this helps but I checked some old notes when I got my Banded Amaroks from Duchy.

Falken FK510 255/45 18" 103 Load rating

Weight 28.5KG

17" GP OEM wheels with 215/60 Contivan Contact 107-109 load rating

Weight 27.20KG

I'd go silver or chrome personally, I feel you loose a lot of detail in the darker colours, they don't pop as much:cool:

Back