Tail lights and side lights not working mystery (T5.1) [Resolved]

TheDumbOx

Hi all so I'm hoping someone can help before I rip out the interior and call in the infamously grumpy auto-electrician*.

Also, I know this is the T6 forum and mine is a T5.1 but I couldn't see the electric forum on the T5 section. Feel free to shift to more appropriate place.

So, neither my rear tail lights nor front sidelights are working. Indicators, brakes and fogs work fine, same with front heads, running lights and indicators. The bulbs are not bust and every fuse has been checked in the cab and in the engine bay. There is current getting to the rear sockets, but it's super-weak. My electrician pal said he couldn't see what was up and suggested getting the codes checked. The garage guy ran a diagnostic and nothing came up except the interior lights not working (they are disconnected). Bulbs are all standard save for the running lights which are aftermarket LED fitted by the previous owner who runs the local independent VW garage.

Both said to get the aforementioned auto electrician out, but suggested I explore all other possibilities first, like a loosened connection somewhere because the dude may not actually bother to come and is guaranteed to be horrible to me if he does.

Following @Deaky 's advice Here, I've identified the wires and the connector under the passenger seat.
3E9F2EEF-D5D3-4B82-9579-07DE542A8BA0.jpeg
This next photo shows with seat and leisure battery removed, so no connections there...
5C3EDAF7-A302-49B7-8893-2514C162A689.jpeg

I can see it runs up the B pillar and along the roof and those wires seem to be ok. I'm assuming (ha!) there must be some kind of split or connector near the back? In rummaging around I saw this cluster of wires with foam wrapped round some kind of connector. These wires are white and don't run along the roof and the foam wrapped connector (again, assuming - could be a control unit or something) is pretty big.
44E36788-DC79-4FB5-B5FB-098C2BB3E8E7.jpeg

I really don't want to rip the whole of the interior out if I can avoid it, because it was hard work putting it together (so glad I carpeted the panels and didn't do it like a curtain!) but I will if need be, so if anyone has any suggestions on what to do before I resort to the auto-electrician (who apparently may not even bother anyway) I'd really appreciate it.

TIA
*I've not met the dude btw, it might be he's fine with me, but he does have a fearsome rep.

Hi all so I'm hoping someone can help before I rip out the interior and call in the infamously grumpy auto-electrician*.

Also, I know this is the T6 forum and mine is a T5.1 but I couldn't see the electric forum on the T5 section. Feel free to shift to more appropriate place.

So, neither my rear tail lights nor front sidelights are working. Indicators, brakes and fogs work fine, same with front heads, running lights and indicators. The bulbs are not bust and every fuse has been checked in the cab and in the engine bay. There is current getting to the rear sockets, but it's super-weak. My electrician pal said he couldn't see what was up and suggested getting the codes checked. The garage guy ran a diagnostic and nothing came up except the interior lights not working (they are disconnected). Bulbs are all standard save for the running lights which are aftermarket LED fitted by the previous owner who runs the local independent VW garage.

Both said to get the aforementioned auto electrician out, but suggested I explore all other possibilities first, like a loosened connection somewhere because the dude may not actually bother to come and is guaranteed to be horrible to me if he does.

Following @Deaky 's advice Here, I've identified the wires and the connector under the passenger seat.
View attachment 126478
This next photo shows with seat and leisure battery removed, so no connections there...
View attachment 126481

I can see it runs up the B pillar and along the roof and those wires seem to be ok. I'm assuming (ha!) there must be some kind of split or connector near the back? In rummaging around I saw this cluster of wires with foam wrapped round some kind of connector. These wires are white and don't run along the roof and the foam wrapped connector (again, assuming - could be a control unit or something) is pretty big.
View attachment 126482

I really don't want to rip the whole of the interior out if I can avoid it, because it was hard work putting it together (so glad I carpeted the panels and didn't do it like a curtain!) but I will if need be, so if anyone has any suggestions on what to do before I resort to the auto-electrician (who apparently may not even bother anyway) I'd really appreciate it.

TIA
*I've not met the dude btw, it might be he's fine with me, but he does have a fearsome rep.
I’ve had taillamps go when I shorted an interior light. Check all fuses (on the cabin fusebox under the dash, not the one in the engine bay) and see if any have gone (I say any, as variations seem evident, so the location the fuse was supposed to be in wasn’t true). I’ll try and dig out the thread, incase it is one and the same, and gives you an easy fix.

Oh and welcome to the forum :thumbsup:

I’ll try and dig out the thread

I’ve had taillamps go when I shorted an interior light. Check all fuses (on the cabin fusebox under the dash, not the one in the engine bay) and see if any have gone (I say any, as variations seem evident, so the location the fuse was supposed to be in wasn’t true). I’ll try and dig out the thread, incase it is one and the same, and gives you an easy fix.

Oh and welcome to the forum :thumbsup:
Hi thanks, I'm a short time poster but long time lurker!

Yes, all the fuses cabin AND engine bay are fine (checked the EB because all the cab fuses were fine).

With the interior lights, I just have the light fittings disconnected, I didn't cut them off or anything like that. Would that result in shorting the tails?

Hi thanks, I'm a short time poster but long time lurker!

Yes, all the fuses cabin AND engine bay are fine (checked the EB because all the cab fuses were fine).

With the interior lights, I just have the light fittings disconnected, I didn't cut them off or anything like that. Would that result in shorting the tails?
I don’t think it would. I’ll let someone with actual knowledge of electrics answer you, in that instance. Good luck

So an update with a happy ending.

Literally no one would look at it, not grumpy guy, no one. I eventually rang the last option, a guy whose page was all in Polish. Luckily he spoke perfect English, agreed it was the body control module and fixed it. Loose connections apparently, so was pleased not to have to fork out for a new one. Happy to be able to finally drive at night so winter camps out are back on the menu.

Literally no one would look at it, not grumpy guy, no one. I eventually rang the last option, a guy whose page was all in Polish. Luckily he spoke perfect English, agreed it was the body control module and fixed it. Loose connections apparently, so was pleased not to have to fork out for a new one. Happy to be able to finally drive at night so winter camps out are back on the menu.
Excellent result

Great stuff. Glad to hear it wasn’t terminal.

Leave some feedback for him here:

I think I have similar issue to yours. 2010 2.0 t5.1 after swapping the side light bulb on my rear passenger side light "blew a fuse" it seems. Front and rear passenger side lights out. Interior lights also out.

Tested *ALL* fuses visually and with multimeter using both continuity and resistance. All are ok.

Passenger side indicator and brake work and Right side lights work.

If anyone can shed any "light" (pardon the pun) it would be very helpful

Hi guys, and thanks for all this useful info. Unfortunately I set off on a 2 1/2 week trip across Europe. Turn on the way down to the ferry. My bulb warning light came on and I have exactly the same problem – no tail lights and cabin lights above the dashboard. I have briefly checked the fuses but will re-check them, but looking at the feed above… What and where is a body control module? It sounds like that’s going to be the case with me. I’ve had no work done on the van and the only thing I did was loaded up with lots of clothes and kids stuff so assumed that somewhere at some connection may have just been disrupted. Any suggestions appreciated though I realise this thread was a while ago as again, I can’t drive at night and haven’t got the time, patience, or French language skills to be ripped off by a French electrician… Aaargh!

Back