VW T5.1 2012 Tail Light and Side Lights Not Working. Fuses Fine. Bulbs Fine.

Lc21

Hello,

I have a strange issue with my left side rear tail lights and front left side light. They have both stopped working. The bulbs are fine and the fuses are fine. I had it looked over very briefly by an automotive electrician who said there was a break in the cable somewhere (he was going on holiday the day after and rather then pulling my van apart, advised me to have a look myself while he's away, and if I still cant find it bring it back). He thought the issue could be the standard corroded connection.

Using the wiring diagrams found on this forum, I identified the cable as the grey / black. This cable comes out of the BCM (J519), I've checked at this point and there is 12V. I've then removed the passenger seats and found the light green 10-pin connector (T10o) and there is no voltage (side note - the connections are fine, no corrosion). I decided to start removing panels to trace the cable in-between these two sections. I've not been able to visually identify anything obvious from the very limited areas I can see. So, out of interest, I spliced into the grey / black cable just below the gear stick and ran a floating test cable from the 12V located at the BCM. This turned the side light on and turned off the warning light on the dash but the tail light still didn't work. I then decided to use the floating test cable directly at the light green connector 10-pin connector which turned the tail light on but not the side light and the warning light on the dash stayed on.

I've noted on the wiring diagrams there is something in-between these two points called "B144 - positive connection (58L), in interior wiring harness". What is this and could the fault be located here?

I should also note that a few months ago I added LED side repeaters and LED barn door break lights. I don't think they will be related but thought it best to include.

Any ideas / tips / advice would be welcomed. I've spent more time trying to resolve this than I would like to admit!

1681767176736.png

Hello again,

As is the way with these things, I posted to this forum, went outside to investigate again and immediately found the fault after struggling all winter.

I decided to rip up the matting and trace the cable back from the light green connector. When doing so I had to remove the black plastic cover which protects the wiring loom and the airbag module in the middle of the cab. Once I got under this cover and peeled back some automotive tape, I noticed that there appeared to be a cluster of the grey / black wires, one in and out and also one returning up the wiring loom towards the dash (this turns out to be feeding the side light). So, three wires in total. When I undid the tape I found the connection completely corroded and it fell apart in my hands. Im assuming they were just twisted together but it may have been a soldered joint. I did some temporary connections to make sure this was the issue and everything is working how it should be. Thankfully!!

I will now crimp all the joints back together which will hopefully ensure this doesn’t happen again.

Not sure if this issue is due to some type of retrofit - I can’t imagine it left the factory like that. Maybe the positive had been borrowed to repair an earlier issue with the side light?

Anyway - happy ending after much frustration.

Thanks

IMG_2685.jpeg

IMG_2684.jpeg

Back