Garny999

T6 Guru
Hello, I was about to venture into fitting a diesel heater under my passenger seat. I had a sneak peek at the access from underneath (undertray)for mounting the unit and running the ducting. The question I ask is....does anyone know what this lot is and is this also on a T6. 20200330_123221.jpg
I am thinking that I may struggle to fit the heater under passenger and may need to now replace all my wiring for the leisure setup to be there and use the drivers side for the heater. Any help much appreciated.

That’s the ad blue tank. TheOEM location of the heater is on the drivers side. If you use the OEM ducts then you could keep the leisure electrics under the drivers seat.

That’s the ad blue tank. TheOEM location of the heater is on the drivers side. If you use the OEM ducts then you could keep the leisure electrics under the drivers seat.
Thanks a lot for clarifying @Deaky. So in your experience do you think I would struggle to get in there to fix / route the standard pipework that comes with the kit. I'm hoping i could mount inside the cabin under the passenger seat and have the outlet out the back of the seat base panel. Thanks for your help.

Thanks a lot for clarifying @Deaky. So in your experience do you think I would struggle to get in there to fix / route the standard pipework that comes with the kit. I'm hoping i could mount inside the cabin under the passenger seat and have the outlet out the back of the seat base panel. Thanks for your help.
I’m afraid I can’t offer any advice. My heater was factory fitted. Hopefully someone on here will know.

It may be possible to mount the heater in the seat base on the passenger side but the duct down to the step may be awkward with the adblue tank.

Is there a reason you can’t mount it in the factory position under the floor on the drivers side? Lots of advantages to that IMHO. The duct can come though the floor rather than through the base if it’s an issue.

It may be possible to mount the heater in the seat base on the passenger side but the duct down to the step may be awkward with the adblue tank.

Is there a reason you can’t mount it in the factory position under the floor on the drivers side? Lots of advantages to that IMHO. The duct can come though the floor rather than through the base if it’s an issue.
Thats a good suggestion @Jack T .My only concern is that it is a chinese clone so if I did mount externally, I would have to find some way of protecting it from the elements. I will take the whole cover off tomorrow and see what access I have for ducting. If impossible I may go down the route you suggested, many thanks.

Depending on the model the Chinese clones are often close copies of Eber/Webasto so mounting them underneath should be no different to the real thing (not criticism)

The plastic panels beneath protect it well and seems a no brainer to go there unless you have 4motion and planning some extreme off roading/wading.

I have this morning taken the undertray off the passenger side. As i see it I could mount the heater under the seat and run the exhaust pipe etc out underneath. It is tight due to the adblue tank but think it is do-able. This may seem a really daft question but could I not leave the air intake duct off if the heater intake side is facing forward towards the dash under the seat ( nothing restricting the front of the seat. This would save me trying to drill and fit the large intake ducting through the floor and to the step as this would be tight. Anyone done this, thank you.

My mistake, am I right in thinking that I dont need a duct on the fan side?. I am a bit confused with the vent in footstep that people fit?? Do i not need this with the chinese heater as it has a filter on the end of the pipe that goes under van from the smaller outlets of the heater. Will I just have the 2 inlets from below the heater (exhaust and inlet pipe). Sorry if I am being a bit numb. My only issue with mounting under passenger seat is that the exhaust would be covered with the under tray and way too hot for my liking.....or is there a way to do it.... If not I may have to go down @Jack T route.
Thanks in advance

My mistake, am I right in thinking that I dont need a duct on the fan side?. I am a bit confused with the vent in footstep that people fit?? Do i not need this with the chinese heater as it has a filter on the end of the pipe that goes under van from the smaller outlets of the heater. Will I just have the 2 inlets from below the heater (exhaust and inlet pipe). Sorry if I am being a bit numb. My only issue with mounting under passenger seat is that the exhaust would be covered with the under tray and way too hot for my liking.....or is there a way to do it.... If not I may have to go down @Jack T route.
Thanks in advance
The heating intake and output must be both inside the van. The burner side intake and exhaust must be outside. Normally the heater is mounted outside, this is why the intake is usually ducted through the step to the inside of the van. You don’t need to duct yours as the intake is already inside the van

You can extend the exhaust so it exits in a better place You are being redirected...
Many thanks again @Deaky . Looks like I am going down the external route and drill the step. Solves the exhaust issue. I may just have to send heating up through the floor behind the drivers seat rather than under it due to the battery being there.
Couldnt do it without the help from folk, thanks all :thumbsup:

Given in @Deaky , although it could be possible to do, I wasnt happy installing the Chinese heater. I've purchased the Eberspacher S2 and all going very well. A lot more than I wanted to spend on a heater but feel better in the long run.

Many thanks again @Deaky . Looks like I am going down the external route and drill the step. Solves the exhaust issue. I may just have to send heating up through the floor behind the drivers seat rather than under it due to the battery being there.
Couldnt do it without the help from folk, thanks all :thumbsup:
You could always run it to the rear of the van - plenty of room to run the ducting backwards underneath, I squeezed 90mm ducting back there so the 60mm will go with ease.
You don't have to take the air for heating from inside the van but the heater will run constantly at high output due to the air not being recirculated. ( The smaller heaters like the D2, Air Top 2000 will struggle in the depths of winter unlike my Air Top Evo40 4Kw one)

Back