T6.1 new order delays

I have had the email (ashford van center) build week confirmed week 4 pure grey 150 dsg etc,etc
Any ideas how long it takes to build and ship just wondering if it will stretch to a 22 plate ?

I have had the email (ashford van center) build week confirmed week 4 pure grey 150 dsg etc,etc
Any ideas how long it takes to build and ship just wondering if it will stretch to a 22 plate ?
What date did you order the van?

Just had this email from my dealer if this helps anyone, i ordered April 21 ..

'Again sorry for the delay in coming back to you. I did just try and call. I was waiting for an update from VW. We had a meeting today and they are running a production exercise from 27th-29th so I am hoping that this will provide me more info regarding your order.

The last time I checked it was estimating March, but at the moment, they are looking at things month on month, so our updates are very last min. I am hoping that once the production exercise has been completed I should be able to tell you more accurately if it’s still March or not.'

New LWB van gets delivered to the Dealer tomorrow.... Whoop!

Converters can't fit me in until the end of March as I've missed several conversion slots. (They have kind of given up with me as I was supposed to have received this van in December 2020 for conversion in January 2021.)

After my initial order for both vans was placed in August 2020 with a third party, I was badly let down in February 2021 and was quite cross! (Post #520!)

I know I wasn't alone and I'd be interested to know how others got on following VW pulling all orders from all fleet suppliers?

I re-ordered 2 vans in Feb 2021 from Bognor Motors and one came in October, so quite a gap between the two vehicles which were ordered at the same time. The only differences between the two vans was that the first was SWB and had a rear heater.

I am amazed that VW couldn't (and still can't) provide better estimates on the delivery dates once a vehicle was in production!

The one thing that has come out of all of this is that @BognorMotors are great to deal with. I think I would have walked away from all things VW if it wasn't for Oli and his team.

I was fortunate enough having been given two provisional build dates previously to get a locked in build for the 10th January, well I say fortunate, it hasn't really mounted to anything in as much as nothing's happened ! The dealer confirmed it had gone to status-20 back in December for a locked in build commencing the 10th Jan.

Having spoken to the dealers today hoping for a update, over 2 weeks and it's still in status-20
Looking at some of the previous posts maybe it will just land at the dealers out the blue at some point in Feb, if not what's the point of a locked in build date if it amounts to nothing more than another prov build date..

Mine was build week 2. Same spec as yours also from Ashford. It’s on its way to the dealer now. Not picking up until the 21 Feb.

Wouldn't normally bother me but bought a 22 dub plate from dvla in November so needs to be 1st of March at the Earliest

Re an electric tailgate - what are the "issues with weight limitations" and why does your neighbour regret having one?

Ouch! That's gotta rankle.

I guess there is this to consider... Had you not made the change and had your van been delivered after the end of March, the price increase would have kicked-in anyway and you'd have been paying EVEN MORE for a tailgate option you didn't even want.
Regarding the tailgate..

It was a conclusion I came to after a great deal of consideration, research and multiple discussions (including many with neighbour). All things considered, swapping it from an Electric Tailgate to a Power Latching Tailgate was the better option for me.

A bit more detail..

My neighbour has a 2021 plate T6.1 SWB DSG. All the bells and whistles. On the whole he's happy with it but he's had terrible issues with the E-Tailgate. On a good day it's pretty naff at opening when there's anything remotely close to it (proximity sensors) and on a bad day it has a habit of either opening by itself or not at all. Once he was at Tesco, parked up, did his shopping and came back to it wide open.
He took it back to VW and they assured him there was nothing wrong. As you can imagine his trust in it was gone after that.

After hearing his issues with it I did some digging and heard from more than a couple of people who weren't impressed.

Me and my girlfriend rented a T5.1 from a camper company back in summer. The guy there has 2 new T6.1 conversions both with electric tailgate and he says they have been nothing but trouble. He's had lots of operation issues when the weight is adjusted, specially bike racks.

He said they're brilliant in principle but as soon as you start adjusting/modifying then you're going to start having issues. His words - not mine. But he seemed to know what he was talking about.

Lastly, a week or so later, I spoke to my conversion guy about it. At the time I had just ordered the van (July 2021) but was still in the early stages of deciding what I wanted from the build. I mentioned my concerns with the electric tailgate and he basically said to me "if you can without loosing your position in the queue (VW), get rid of it".

He explained to me that if I had an electric tailgate he would struggle to insulate AND install a vanshades pod. He reasoned that it would be simply too heavy and even if the struts were able to handle the weight initially, he didn't think they would last. Again his words, not mine.

Given the negative feedback I'd had about the electric tailgate working at the best of times, I didn't want to run the risk.

So, despite the frustration of 'paying to downgrade' I figured it would be better to pay and cry about that now than regret a potentially dodgy optional extra down the line.

For the record I've not had any real first hand experience with the electric tailgate, this is all entirely what I've been advised and it's the advice I chose to act on.

I'm sure there are plenty of happy electric tailgate customers out there, but after learning what I did it helped me made an informed decision that it was something best avoided.

Hence why I'm rabbiting on so much in this one message haha! - because I wish I had known, what I know now, if I was ordering my T6.1 again.

Reactions: CAB
Regarding the tailgate..

It was a conclusion I came to after a great deal of consideration, research and multiple discussions (including many with neighbour). All things considered, swapping it from an Electric Tailgate to a Power Latching Tailgate was the better option for me.

A bit more detail..

My neighbour has a 2021 plate T6.1 SWB DSG. All the bells and whistles. On the whole he's happy with it but he's had terrible issues with the E-Tailgate. On a good day it's pretty naff at opening when there's anything remotely close to it (proximity sensors) and on a bad day it has a habit of either opening by itself or not at all. Once he was at Tesco, parked up, did his shopping and came back to it wide open.
He took it back to VW and they assured him there was nothing wrong. As you can imagine his trust in it was gone after that.

After hearing his issues with it I did some digging and heard from more than a couple of people who weren't impressed.

Me and my girlfriend rented a T5.1 from a camper company back in summer. The guy there has 2 new T6.1 conversions both with electric tailgate and he says they have been nothing but trouble. He's had lots of operation issues when the weight is adjusted, specially bike racks.

He said they're brilliant in principle but as soon as you start adjusting/modifying then you're going to start having issues. His words - not mine. But he seemed to know what he was talking about.

Lastly, a week or so later, I spoke to my conversion guy about it. At the time I had just ordered the van (July 2021) but was still in the early stages of deciding what I wanted from the build. I mentioned my concerns with the electric tailgate and he basically said to me "if you can without loosing your position in the queue (VW), get rid of it".

He explained to me that if I had an electric tailgate he would struggle to insulate AND install a vanshades pod. He reasoned that it would be simply too heavy and even if the struts were able to handle the weight initially, he didn't think they would last. Again his words, not mine.

Given the negative feedback I'd had about the electric tailgate working at the best of times, I didn't want to run the risk.

So, despite the frustration of 'paying to downgrade' I figured it would be better to pay and cry about that now than regret a potentially dodgy optional extra down the line.

For the record I've not had any real first hand experience with the electric tailgate, this is all entirely what I've been advised and it's the advice I chose to act on.

I'm sure there are plenty of happy electric tailgate customers out there, but after learning what I did it helped me made an informed decision that it was something best avoided.

Hence why I'm rabbiting on so much in this one message haha! - because I wish I had known, what I know now, if I was ordering my T6.1 again.
Hmm interesting - I've opted for an electric tailgate and my convertor didn't raised any concerns. I'm planning on a tow-bar-mounted bike rack, so that won't be an issue for me, but I'll certainly be adding insulation and a window blind. I'd probably best check with them as soon as.

I must admit that on a number of occasions the boot-release on my car has been inadvertently activated due to my keys being stuffed in my jeans pocket :whistle:. Could it be possible something similar happened to your neighbour when in the Tesco carpark? IMO this would be a more plausible explanation than an untraceable gremlin in the mechanism - just a suggestion.

Hmm interesting - I've opted for an electric tailgate and my convertor didn't raised any concerns. I'm planning on a tow-bar-mounted bike rack, so that won't be an issue for me, but I'll certainly be adding insulation and a window blind. I'd probably best check with them as soon as.

I must admit that on a number of occasions the boot-release on my car has been inadvertently activated due to my keys being stuffed in my jeans pocket :whistle:. Could it be possible something similar happened to your neighbour when in the Tesco carpark? IMO this would be a more plausible explanation than an untraceable gremlin in the mechanism - just a suggestion.
Yeah it's totally possible it was down to a keys in jeans fumble, he's agonised over every possibility as you can imagine haha! It's happened to him a couple of times though now, that was the worst incident.

For my money, even the simple possibility of that happening (key fumble or gremlin) was enough to make me doubt my choice of electric tailgate.

I would absolutely check with your conversion company re the weight issues. It may be something not everyone agrees on? What blind are you going to have?
I'm going for Vabshades pods which I understand are particularly heavy compared to some others.
I'm only going on what converter said but he's been a mind of information and absolutely right on everything I've asked him so far so I personally didn't have any reason to doubt him.

So, you're saying that your dealer offered you a contract with Ts & Cs that differ from those in a standard VW UK contract? Never heard of that before.
I’m in Australia , they have tightened up consumer laws here a lot to stop company just been stupid greedy

Yeah it's totally possible it was down to a keys in jeans fumble, he's agonised over every possibility as you can imagine haha! It's happened to him a couple of times though now, that was the worst incident.

For my money, even the simple possibility of that happening (key fumble or gremlin) was enough to make me doubt my choice of electric tailgate.

I would absolutely check with your conversion company re the weight issues. It may be something not everyone agrees on? What blind are you going to have?
I'm going for Vabshades pods which I understand are particularly heavy compared to some others.
I'm only going on what converter said but he's been a mind of information and absolutely right on everything I've asked him so far so I personally didn't have any reason to doubt him.
I totally get that it's disconcerting to arrive back at your vehicle to find it unlocked and that it's a even more of a concern when a wide-open tailgate is advertising that fact!

I have no cause to doubt your convertor, as the bike-rack weight issue is deffo something I've heard of previously - I'm just surprised that insulation and blinds caused the same issue. My blinds will be Vanshades, but not sure about the "pod" bit - is that just the name they give all their blinds, or is that a specific model of blind?

I'll be checking with my converter, but it will be "interesting" for me if he agrees there could be an issue. As true, die-hard Yorkshireman, it's not in my nature to pay for a downgrade (short arms/ deep pockets and all that!):fast rofl:

Back