T6.1 Drivers external door handle issue

Hi, same with my July built , October delivered t6.1. Drivers door no dice this morning !. Thought I had snapped something!. Thawed out by 11.30 am , all good again ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Anyone here trying to defrost before trying to open or is it pointless as its internal?

I picked my van up sept 1st and I knew about this and asked if it had been fixed and they said it should've been done in factory.

Must be internal?.I knew nothing about this, couldn’t get in van this morning , popped on here for a look and low and behold it’s known problem!. Had a T5 and T5.1for last fifteen years, never had a problem with the drivers door , although the 5.1 sliding door sometimes played up.

I could get in the van this morning, result , only a Light frost . But the door then wouldn’t stay shut!. Eventually got it but damn What a
pain.

Add me to the list of broken door handles/latches after Sunday's snow. What an utterly rubbish design.

Update on my door handle. Went into the dealers and confirmed thats there's a recall on the bowden cable. They fixed it but still doesn't open easy in the icy conditions.
Next time it freezes its give it a yank and see what happens. Will the new cable cut the mustard. Strange its only the drivers door.

Last edited by a moderator:
Update on my door handle. Went into the dealers and confirmed thats there's a recall on the bosun cable. They fixed it but still doesn't open easy in the icy conditions.
Next time it freezes its give it a yank and see what happens. Will the new cable cut the mustard. Strange its only the drivers door.

Don’t pull it too hard when it is frozen. It’ll snap the plastic bracket the Bowden cable is secured to, then it won’t open at all.

Add me to the list of broken door handles/latches after Sunday's snow. What an utterly rubbish design.
I took my van (late 2020 build, delivered in January 2021) to the local dealer be fixed but parts are out-of-stock. Even the guy I spoke to had had the same problem with his van.

This isn't why I chose the no-bulkhead option but it could prove useful.

Oh no it’s going to be a old snap! Could be climbing in through the passenger door tomorrow morning !.

I'm all fixed from a new bosun cable point of view but the drivers door handle is still solid the 1st sign of a minus temperature. Passenger side fine.
Whats the answer here????
Some sort of spray???

If anyone has pics of the old vs new design, would be good to see what's potentially causing this and how to fix.

If anyone has pics of the old vs new design, would be good to see what's potentially causing this and how to fix.
Next time I do one, I’ll get a photo of the issue. Or what it is that causes the issue at least.

Add me to the list VWT6.1 manufactured Nov 20 - Both front doors not working in sub zero , once warmed up , drivers worked , but passenger perm not working . Went into dealership last week , cable adjusted , but next day minus2 and pass door not working again , at all even once warmed up. Back to dealership tomorrow.

• Sad
Reactions: CAB
My new to me 2018 Cali is with VW for fixing a snag list from my purchase last week, and they gave me a 2020 plate Kombi as replacement, so with minus numbers last night, came to it this morning and the door handle had a bit of resistance - having owned a T5.1 for 5 years, in cold conditions the handles sometimes freeze shut, but with a gentle working, they free up and work ok, I assumed the same for this T6.1 so went to open the door and there was a bit of resistance so I worked it a little... and with very little effort there was a slight pop and a tinkle tinkle inside the door - I'm guess this was the breaking of the bowden cable anchor point... ouch what a pants design, glad I've got a T6 waiting to be delivered back to me ;)
Passenger and sliding door no problem!

Be really gentle with your T6.1 drivers doors...

Yeah I was in through the passenger door again this morning, by mid morning it works again but what a joke !.

Thanks Phil. Would that be a door card removal at the dealer?
I had the cable replaced a few weeks ago. The van has a hard frost the other morning and door handle wouldn’t move so I left it and got in via passenger door. Later that day it defrosted and not been a problem since. Looks like the handle needs frost protection
I have two new t6.1 picked up at xmas having the same problem on both, one went in a couple of weeks ago all day to be told couldn't find any fault ?? both booked in on 16 & 18th March hoping sorting them.
Also is anyone having issues with a rattling coming from door pillars ?

Spoke at length with the dealer this week about this, there is a TPI out this week with a fix for this. In the meantime they are suggesting to cup the handle prior to opening it to warm the handle, and defrost it (I think a bit of luke warm water would be easier)

Back