T6.1 Drivers external door handle issue

DarrenTT

T6 Pro
Hi all, first serious frost this morning a d unable to open drivers side door with external door handle. Able to access via passenger side and open from inside. Waited till this afternoon for vehicle to fully defrost and door handle still doesn’t open door.
Van booked in at dealer on Friday. Has anyone else had this issue?

Sorry yes, T6.1 new October. Thought I’d put it in the title but hadn’t.
Has it been in for the recall on the Bowden cables? There’s an outstanding recall on some vans because of the very problem you describe

No, no recall at present. Hopefully they will rectify Friday. Looking at the recall I’d thought it would have been rectified at factory. But no doubt another victim of covid

Last edited:
This is the second one I've heard of today, with the colder weather, and one last week.

As @RayF has said there is a recall on the T6.1 because of this - We've had quite a few done already.

I hope you get it sorted quickly

Has it been in for the recall on the Bowden cables? There’s an outstanding recall on some vans because of the very problem you describe
I think that was sorted in the factory for us, I asked the dealer about that exact problem, in September when I collected mine. They said if there was any recall on it they couldn't release the van until it's done

I think that was sorted in the factory for us, I asked the dealer about that exact problem, in September when I collected mine. They said if there was any recall on it they couldn't release the van until it's done
This recall affects vans built 04/11/2019 – 27/02/2020 so if yours was built after that it should be okay

I’ll update on Friday. In the meantime I’ll access the drivers seat from the passenger side

VW dealer has had van all day, on dropping it of I mentioned the Bowden cable recall and he said my van wasn’t effected.
Had a call this evening saying new cable required and will be fitted Monday when they get it. Hopefully mines an isolated case.

New cable fitted. New window regulator ordered as window kept closing then opening again. Great service from vw robinsons of Peterborough.

My drivers door wont open this morning. Works from the inside. There was a frost overnight. This is a Sept/Oct 2020 build. Looks like there's an issue here

I’ve had the cable replaced but this morning the door handle froze again and I was unable to open the drivers door. I didn’t force the issue and used the passenger side. Later on the door handle had defrosted and was able to open again. I think if I had forced the handle I would have been back to square one

Never had any issues with the T6's. Wonder why they've changed to a different system. Living in areas where there are regular frosts it could prove to be a real pain

When the dealer fitted the cable they said I’ll need a new regulator. I’ll get them to redo the door handle when they do the window

It’s most likely that the cable tension on the outer cable hasn’t been adjusted properly. They aren’t as easily adjusted as they were on the T6.
If they are right, then there is no reason for them to freeze up again.

Back