T6.1 Drivers external door handle issue

I don’t believe the lock is the problem as when I got in from the passenger side, I could open the driver’s door from the inside and slam it shut from the outside.
The problem is the cable attached to the the handle pull.

I’ve just replied via DM. There has been the odd case of it failing twice so needs to go back and be redone. The thermal foil is part of the recall.

Hi @The Bean, so it looks like our vans will need a second visit to fix the problem.
Which dealership did the Bowden cables previously?

Mine did it yesterday and today on passenger side . Door opens and just bounces when I try and close it Had to take the car to site as the van was not secure to drive. NOT GOOD

I have found a temporary way to get in until the dealership does the job again.
Unlock the door with the key and hold key position to let window down, open door from inside catch and once inside, door will close and latch.
I found that once the outside handle has been pulled, it won’t go back on the spring so the cable won’t release tension on the lock.

Well my 3 month old van did this 2 nights ago passenger side rock solid, I thought it would have been sorted during build this year.

What's the best way to approach/say to the dealer with this

Well I spoke too soon, took the van to Motus Stoke to day, a hour later phone call to say “the technician can’t replicate the fault”
Of course he can’t it’s not bloody freezing cold !

Then next gem
“can you bring it back when the fault occurs ”

“yes I can, but I will have to defrost it with a hair dryer, and then it won’t be jammed will it so the technician won’t see the fault”

“Oh”

“VW have recalled nearly a quarter of a million vans with this very fault”

“Yes but yours is not on the list”

“ I work 26 miles from home and after a 12 hour night shift I don’t want to struggle to get into a frozen van because believe it or not I don’t have access to a hairdryer to try and defrost the door handles”

“Can you do a video of it “

“ I certainly can but by time I drive all the way here the door will have thawed out and guess what the technician won’t be able to recreate the fault will he ? “

“oh”

“See you on the next frozen morning”

Took mine to dealer yesterday as first recall hasn’t fixed the problem.
They have been notified by vw to order all the parts to replace door handles, locks, lock barrels and all cables etc to replace everything.

Well I spoke too soon, took the van to Motus Stoke to day, a hour later phone call to say “the technician can’t replicate the fault”
Of course he can’t it’s not bloody freezing cold !

Then next gem
“can you bring it back when the fault occurs ”

“yes I can, but I will have to defrost it with a hair dryer, and then it won’t be jammed will it so the technician won’t see the fault”

“Oh”

“VW have recalled nearly a quarter of a million vans with this very fault”

“Yes but yours is not on the list”

“ I work 26 miles from home and after a 12 hour night shift I don’t want to struggle to get into a frozen van because believe it or not I don’t have access to a hairdryer to try and defrost the door handles”

“Can you do a video of it “

“ I certainly can but by time I drive all the way here the door will have thawed out and guess what the technician won’t be able to recreate the fault will he ? “

“oh”

“See you on the next frozen morning”
That’s so Frustrating !

Well obviously vw know that is going to be the only permanent fix so I am happy that the issue has been taken seriously.

Replacing all the parts with the same parts won't fix the issue.

This is a poor design issue, rather than just an issue with a couple of parts.

So I had this today too. 2021 T6.1. It was -5°c last night and struggled to open drivers door. Eventually did after a a good pull. Then the door would not stay shut. Just bouncing open when slammed.

A few hours later once the weather warmed all was back to normal and seams fine now.

It will be cold again tonight so if it feels tight in the morning I’ll try to remote open the windows and try the inside handle.

Back