T6.1 Drivers external door handle issue

It’s most likely that the cable tension on the outer cable hasn’t been adjusted properly. They aren’t as easily adjusted as they were on the T6.
If they are right, then there is no reason for them to freeze up again.
Thanks Phil. Would that be a door card removal at the dealer?

Yeah, door card and the window reg carrier. Realistically looking at around 1 to 1.5 hours.

I've had this same issue with mine. Christmas morning went to get in and the handle stopped working. Got it into the dealers on Wednesday this week and all sorted. However, I've now noticed a couple of new issues that have arisen post fix.

I have to pull the handle at least 2 times to open the door, and my mirrors no longer fold in when locking the van!

Not at all happy considering the van is just 1 month old and has done about 500 miles! It'll be going back in ASAP to get sorted, again!

I Just had the same issue with the driver door over the festive period. She had the Bowden cable replaced during PDI check. Waiting to hear back from the dealer on tomorrow.

I had the cable replaced a few weeks ago. The van has a hard frost the other morning and door handle wouldn’t move so I left it and got in via passenger door. Later that day it defrosted and not been a problem since. Looks like the handle needs frost protection

I had the same, but it was the handle, not the cable, I sprayed it with some turtle wax hydrophobic polish and its been fine since.

I've got a similar problem with my new T6.1, Nov/Dec 20 build.... cannot get front doors to open when cold. Happened second day of ownership. Never had a problem with my old T6

Mine too today....drivers side won't open but passenger side is fine.
Built January 20
Booked in for leaking side doors and tailgate won't open using the fob so they'll sort this too.

We had two T6.1s on our fleet do this with the heavy frost the other day- both of them brand new. The door opened then the handle stuck and would not hold close, just on the first latch. A bit of usage and the handle started working again on both of them.

I Just had the same issue with the driver door over the festive period. She had the Bowden cable replaced during PDI check. Waiting to hear back from the dealer on tomorrow.

Bowden cables are needing to be replaced again. Dealer can't give me a date for the parts but indicated that waiting time for the parts are 5-10 days for the cables.

Mine went back into VW today to get my handle fixed for a second time. Seems to be OK so far, but only time will tell.

Well thats the passengers door not opening on the second T6.1. Slight frost but didn't look too bad. Haven't had a chance to get the 1st one in yet due to Covid. I think I'll request passengers and drivers door on all 3 vehicles.

VW dealer has had van all day, on dropping it of I mentioned the Bowden cable recall and he said my van wasn’t effected.
Had a call this evening saying new cable required and will be fitted Monday when they get it. Hopefully mines an isolated case.
Sorry I also have the same problem - delivered Nov/Dec 2000. VW Road Side Assistance pin pointed the issue to the recall but the dealer won’t accept that. To date they’ve had it twice and to satisfy me finally said it had been ‘adjusted’. Still the same this morning

Sorry I also have the same problem - delivered Nov/Dec 2000. VW Road Side Assistance pin pointed the issue to the recall but the dealer won’t accept that. To date they’ve had it twice and to satisfy me finally said it had been ‘adjusted’. Still the same this morning

The issue with the recall, is that it doesn’t really fix the issue. Basically its a small silicone grommet that fits over the Bowden cable (inner cable) that is meant to sit against the outer cable when the handle is released, in theory, stopping the inner and outer cables freezing together.

The issue we are seeing, is that the grommet basically moves / walks along the inner Bowden cable through use of the outer handle. When it does that, its as though it’s not even fitted. Which then causes the issue to be as it was before the recall (campaign)

The handle really needs some for of tubing, or rubber covering over the whole of the outer cable to stop this from happening.

The trouble with pointing the blame at the dealer here, is that the recall is being carried out as per the vw information, but more that the fix isn’t fixing the vehicles due to the design. Rather than how the work is being completed.

My Dec 2020 build T6.1 is in VW dealership with the same problem and they have said the cables stretched in a week, yes van a week old, and need replaced, along with two other door lock components. I get van back tomorrow hopefully.

Time VW woke up. The T6 was great, why change design and parts on T6.1

My Dec 2020 build T6.1 is in VW dealership with the same problem and they have said the cables stretched in a week, yes van a week old, and need replaced, along with two other door lock components. I get van back tomorrow hopefully.

Time VW woke up. The T6 was great, why change design and parts on T6.1

They won’t have stretched after a week, in that case, they probably haven’t set the cables up correctly.
They cable tension design is completely different from any previous transporter, the tensioning is done by fitting the outer door handle in place and turning the lock unit it to create tension in the cable assembly.

Stretch after a week would be incorrect cable adjustment.

My T6.1 was at the dealers a week ago for the cable recall to be done. This weekend and today unable to open drivers door due to frozen cable.
Just called them to book it back in..... Next date available 25th Feb.

Back