T6.1 Direct Tpms, Two Sets Of Wheels

AK06FR

VIP Member
T6 Guru
My T6.1 Direct TPMS. I'm planning on buying another set of wheels (with TPMS valves) so I have a dedicated summer and winter setup. Does anyone know the process for swapping wheel sets and pairing different sets of TPMS valves? Will this require a visit to the VW dealer ? I've ploughed through the internet but can't find a clear answers. And sorry if someone has already posted about this issue.

Cheers Adam.

They don't need to be pared. They switch on when the wheels start rotating and are picked up by the TPMS receiver. Just make sure you fit the correct ones.

Thanks Deaky for the quick reply.

Am I right in assuming that the TPMS receiver can detect which position a wheel is fitted? i.e. if you swap the wheels around the receiver can detect this?

Can you recommend make / type of valve to fit ?

Yes, the receiver is at the back of the van. The stronger signal is rear and weaker is front. It also knows which is rotating clockwise and which is anti clockwise. From this info it knows where each sensor is placed.

You'd need to find out what the part number of your sensors are. PM @Pauly with your VIN number and he'll be able to tell you.

On a side note. If you fit wheels without sensors, after a few miles of driving, you'll get a "TPMS turned off" message, then won't hear from it again until you re-fit the wheels that have the sensors in, when it will tell you it's turned back on.

On a side note. If you fit wheels without sensors, after a few miles of driving, you'll get a "TPMS turned off" message, then won't hear from it again until you re-fit the wheels that have the sensors in, when it will tell you it's turned back on.
With my T6.1, I had the direct TPMS option fitted. I have normal valves in the new alloys and I have the warning light on which cannot be turned off. I am therefore having to swap out the valves from the Claytons to the new wheels next week.

and the (ludicrous) prices to go with them, the strange thing here is No6 is a complete unit but it looks like if you buy 3 & 4 they would make a complete unit at a significantly lower price, unless 6 is for a set of 4 which isnt clear ??

Capture.PNG

With my T6.1, I had the direct TPMS option fitted. I have normal valves in the new alloys and I have the warning light on which cannot be turned off. I am therefore having to swap out the valves from the Claytons to the new wheels next week.

I stand corrected then. My experience with older VWs was different.

Can the TPMS not just be un-ticked using VCDS?

You could remove the module from the installed list.

I did wonder how you'd sorted that problem.

Naa..tried my best but cannot fathom it. I am hoping that the reset shows itself once i fit the sensors back in. Fingers crossed.

I'll report back should it work :thumbsup:
So, as promised, an update. As I had the T6.1 option of TPMS I ended up with sensors fitted in my Clayton alloys. I changed the wheels for 18" with normal valves. The warning light illuminated and there was no way to reset or disable. I have today had the sensors taken out of the Claytons and fitted to the 18's ( each sensor in no particular order). After driving a short distance the pressures in each tyre are now detected and the warning light has gone off. Simple answer once you know but I hope this helps anyone with similar issues.

So, as promised, an update. As I had the T6.1 option of TPMS I ended up with sensors fitted in my Clayton alloys. I changed the wheels for 18" with normal valves. The warning light illuminated and there was no way to reset or disable. I have today had the sensors taken out of the Claytons and fitted to the 18's ( each sensor in no particular order). After driving a short distance the pressures in each tyre are now detected and the warning light has gone off. Simple answer once you know but I hope this helps anyone with similar issues.
Hi there,
I’m swapping my wheels over tomorrow when I have my suspension work done at CRS :)
Are the valves easy enough to swap over or do I need to go to a tyre place to have it done? Can they be done on the vehicle or do they need to be off and put onto a machine. Thanks!

Hi there,
I’m swapping my wheels over tomorrow when I have my suspension work done at CRS :)
Are the valves easy enough to swap over or do I need to go to a tyre place to have it done? Can they be done on the vehicle or do they need to be off and put onto a machine. Thanks!
I would get them done by a trusted garage. Apparently the valves can be damaged easily when removing the tyre. Yes, each wheel comes off and goes on the tyre machine. Didnt take that long to do at the garage to be honest. Cost....I would say around £50 ish.

I would get them done by a trusted garage. Apparently the valves can be damaged easily when removing the tyre. Yes, each wheel comes off and goes on the tyre machine. Didnt take that long to do at the garage to be honest. Cost....I would say around £50 ish.
Great. Thank you

Great thread, it’s hard to find any information on Direct TPMS. Recently bought some 20s from Leighton Vans. After reading this thread was excited about just having my TPMS valves from my Devonports moved to new wheels. However, the new wheels arrived and have angled valves towards the rear of the wheel. My local garage advised that the valves will not fit. So I’m looking for angled TPMS valves. Appreciate any ideas on this.
C1733A65-842C-486E-9926-D34AE7B642F6.jpeg

Back