Diesel Night-heater hot air outlet

AlR

Hi,
I have a 2018 T6 and I’m installing a diesel heater externally, under the drivers seat area.
With a leisure battery (& chargers etc.) installed under the drivers seat, where should I have the hot air from the heater coming in the van?
I’ve seen some conversions with the hot air vent coming through the floor, just behind the drivers seat - has anyone got any drawings or photos showing where to cut the hole in the floor and how the ducting runs under the floor?
Thanks

Hi,
I have a 2018 T6 and I’m installing a diesel heater externally, under the drivers seat area.
With a leisure battery (& chargers etc.) installed under the drivers seat, where should I have the hot air from the heater coming in the van?
I’ve seen some conversions with the hot air vent coming through the floor, just behind the drivers seat - has anyone got any drawings or photos showing where to cut the hole in the floor and how the ducting runs under the floor?
Thanks

My heat outlet comes up under the seat. I think there would still be space for a leisure battery there Although mine is in a cupboard at the back of the van. I guess that did not help you :)

20230905_171632.jpg

My heat outlet comes up under the seat. I think there would still be space for a leisure battery there Although mine is in a cupboard at the back of the van. I guess that did not help you :)

View attachment 213428
Thanks for the input, but the leisure battery takes up the total width across the back on the seat base unit, so there isn't room for any air ducting.

My drivers seat is the heat outlet, inlet in the footwell. My leisure battery sits under the passenger seat.

Has anyone got any photos of the hot air vent coming through the van floor somewhere behind the parking brake? Ideally from both inside the van and from underneath.
thanks

Has anyone got any photos of the hot air vent coming through the van floor somewhere behind the parking brake? Ideally from both inside the van and from underneath.
thanks
Hi Air, did you get any further with your installation ? I have the same issue since my leisure battery fills the full width of the space beneath my drivers seat.

Hi Jim,
I’ve installed the heater, but haven’t yet cut the hole.
I’m currently planning on bringing the heater outlet through the floor behind the drivers seat. I’m going to cut the hole after I’ve insulated and fitted the new floor - and can mark out the exact position of the kitchen unit & fridge.

Hi Jim,
I’ve installed the heater, but haven’t yet cut the hole.
I’m currently planning on bringing the heater outlet through the floor behind the drivers seat. I’m going to cut the hole after I’ve insulated and fitted the new floor - and can mark out the exact position of the kitchen unit & fridge.
Thanks for the reply. Have you looked to see if there is enough room below for the ducting hole at rear of drivers seat that won’t foul any cross members etc ?

thanks
I did exactly this...my outlet comes out directly behind the handbrake, as i have a pod behind the drivers seat there were limited options. I installed it a few years back, so racking my brains... i think the only thing was it was pretty tight to heatsheild under the van, but just fitted.

10 points if you can guess what's going on in the rest of the pic
Screenshot_2023-11-16-17-32-05-10_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. Have you looked to see if there is enough room below for the ducting hole at rear of drivers seat that won’t foul any cross members etc ?
I’ve not measured anything, but have been told by a couple of guys, that it is tight, but does fit ok.

I’ve not measured anything, but have been told by a couple of guys, that it is tight, but does fit ok.
Thanks again. Look forward to seeing how it goes

I did exactly this...my outlet comes out directly behind the handbrake, as i have a pod behind the drivers seat there were limited options. I installed it a few years back, so racking my brains... i think the only thing was it was pretty tight to heatsheild under the van, but just fitted.

10 points if you can guess what's going on in the rest of the pic
View attachment 220115
Interesting, any concerns over closeness to handbrake mounts re mot etc ?

Mine comes up behind the driver’s seat through the floor. I’m not in the country at the moment so can’t get any photos from underneath, but I think @Skyliner33 took some when he was planning his. So if he sees this he might be able to help.

Mine comes up behind the driver’s seat through the floor. I’m not in the country at the moment so can’t get any photos from underneath, but I think @Skyliner33 took some when he was planning his. So if he sees this he might be able to help.
Thanks Bigsidavies, I’ve had a look this afternoon and due to the size of my leisure battery there’s no way I can turn it sideways so I measured up a position behind the drivers seat like you probably have. There appears to be an area just behind the cross member that runs across where the bulkhead would have sat on. I will need to adjust the side of the heat shield to try to fit in the ductwork. It’s just beside the factory made hole in the heat shield for the heater exhaust.

Thanks Bigsidavies, I’ve had a look this afternoon and due to the size of my leisure battery there’s no way I can turn it sideways so I measured up a position behind the drivers seat like you probably have. There appears to be an area just behind the cross member that runs across where the bulkhead would have sat on. I will need to adjust the side of the heat shield to try to fit in the ductwork. It’s just beside the factory made hole in the heat shield for the heater exhaust.
Found this on my phone which shows where it is looking in through the drivers side sliding door.
Might give you an idea.

IMG_5615.png

It was fitted by Cosmic Campers. I’ll take a pic from underneath when I get home on the 25th. The underbody plastic is off at the mo as it’s cracked so it’s easy to take the pic.

Back