T6.1 Android Auto - no audio [Resolved]

I had the same issue on a '20 plate T6.1. Had to have 2 software updates apparently and is now working. One quirk I have noticed though. I have the base head unit (can't remember the name but it's the touch screen without built in satnav) and if the phone is connected via Bluetooth then I do still get issues, but if I just plug directly into Android Auto and start driving, Spotify and Google Podcasts etc all work fine. Bit odd but just happy it's working now. Had a Tiguan before this and had literally no issues even though it was a much older model, so shame it was just something odd on the van version.

Has anyone got anything more official from VW or a software version they applied to fix this? I've got my van booked in for its first service on the 1st and mentioned this issue asking them to update the head unit but not 100% confident they will given some of the responses above. It would be good to tell them to do XYZ or point them to their own reference.

Android auto support answer - A member of the android auto team seems to have listed the version number that contains the fix - SW 0743 for Entry2 GP2

Hi all, I'm having this same issue. My van is a 2020 van that I just purchased. I emailed VW, but that was a waste of time. They just told me to go to a garage for a diagnostics. How much will that cost me?

Hi all, I'm having this same issue. My van is a 2020 van that I just purchased. I emailed VW, but that was a waste of time. They just told me to go to a garage for a diagnostics. How much will that cost me?
The Android Auto update should be free under warranty so even though they might quote ~£130 for diagnostic if it's not warranty related, I have never paid. Software updates are free as long as you're under warranty.

So after the service and asking for any updates to be installed it doesn't look like the garage has done anything, it's due back in on the 4th anyway so will have another go:

Nov 2020
IMG_20201115_123325.jpg

Today:
PXL_20210921_163620232.jpg

Can someone who has it fixed confirm what software version is shown on the head unit?

So, is there a specific way to get audio playing when using android in the van?

Dropped the van off again for an oil leak but noticed it's still not working despite having the same software version above. Doubling checking with the garage they did apply the latest update as it wasn't in the job sheet despite asking.

So at the moment, I get Google maps directions which plays over the top of the radio. When I try to play Spotify or anything else it's just looks like it's playing but the radio is still on.

So, is there a specific way to get audio playing when using android in the van?

Dropped the van off again for an oil leak but noticed it's still not working despite having the same software version above. Doubling checking with the garage they did apply the latest update as it wasn't in the job sheet despite asking.

So at the moment, I get Google maps directions which plays over the top of the radio. When I try to play Spotify or anything else it's just looks like it's playing but the radio is still on.
Mine was fixed in droitwich, there a workaround if you play a long track on an SD card in the meantime

Mine was fixed in droitwich, there a workaround if you play a long track on an SD card in the meantime

Thanks, I guess what i'm asking is if there is something specific you need to do to switch to android auto audio? When i press play on spotify/tunedin/youtube music, etc, does the unit just switch from the Radio to the audio from whatever app is playing?

I don't really understand what software is being updated. The pictured "working" head units above are showing 0740 when there is talk on google support saying its fixed in 0743.

Waiting on the callback from the dealer about the oil leak and i'll ask again about if the head unit was updated and if so, to what version. simlarly, if it hasn't been updated then i'll ask what version number is the latest.

Fraser

Thanks, I guess what i'm asking is if there is something specific you need to do to switch to android auto audio? When i press play on spotify/tunedin/youtube music, etc, does the unit just switch from the Radio to the audio from whatever app is playing?

I don't really understand what software is being updated. The pictured "working" head units above are showing 0740 when there is talk on google support saying its fixed in 0743.

Waiting on the callback from the dealer about the oil leak and i'll ask again about if the head unit was updated and if so, to what version. simlarly, if it hasn't been updated then i'll ask what version number is the latest.

Fraser
There is a workaround if you're interested..

You need...
1 x SD card
1 x Long mp3 file (i use an 8h rain track, link below)

Put the Mp3 file onto the SD card, put the SD card into the stereo.

1. With the phone unplugged goto 'Media' and play the mp3 file.
2. Plug the phone into the van.
3. Select Spotify and play!

Link to 8h mp3 file - Audio – Google Drive

• Wow
Reactions: mmi
Thanks, i've seen the workaround posted before. At the moment i'm just trying to pin down what the actual fix for this is past "a software update" as the software version numbers don't seem to tie up.

My van is up on the ramp at the moment and the master technician is apparently going to look into it after he does the oil and door recall.

Fraser
you shoud press app on the console then select spotify and play. It is straight forward and intuitive, I'd point them to this thread (I had to raise a complaint with customer relations and point to this thread. Might be easier for you to ask them to contact droitwich?)

you shoud press app on the console then select spotify and play. It is straight forward and intuitive, I'd point them to this thread (I had to raise a complaint with customer relations and point to this thread. Might be easier for you to ask them to contact droitwich?)
Cheers, thats what i've been doing but just checking in case VW did apply the update and its something daft i'm not doing.

Still waiting on a callback from yesterday as they had to add another 4 hour job relating to recall for the doors in cold weather. Will see how this technician got on checking the software versions like I asked.

Got the van back and they applied the software update to the head unit. It now shows as 0743 which is the version Google say contains the fix and it's now working for me. The Android version itself still shows as 0740 which is weird.

In any case, if you want VW to fix it and they are being weird, then ask for the specific software version

PXL_20211013_111521330.jpg

Just finally had my system updated to 0743.

I asked for the stero to be update, they told me there wasn't an update... I spoke to the guy who actually does the work in the workshop at VW, he got the van plugged into the system again and showed me, it definitely said the system was current and there wasn't an update. When we checked the van the version had changed to 0743 and it now all works perfectly! He said it may have been automated as he didn't actually have to do anything.

Last edited:
Back