T6.1 Android Auto - no audio [Resolved]

Has anyone had any luck getting this to work. I've just a T6.1 and android auto was one of the reasons in buying it. Spent a few days trying to get this sorted with no luck.

In the T6.1 it uses Bluetooth for calls/directions etc, and send music audio via USB, but the van won't recognise the USB input when using Android Auto. So no music apps can be used (no Spotify, no podcasts, no internet radio, nothing).
In this case, you can play music from inserted SD card (T6.1) but EQ wont work.

SOLVED!

VW Commercial Vehicles still deny there's an issue and aren't even looking for a fix.

However, VW Passenger Cars have acknowledged the problem and released new software to rectify it. My dealer has loaded the Passenger Cars software onto my head unit and now everything is working fine. I have full access to Spotify, Google Play Music etc. whilst using Android Auto.

The only anomaly is that all the logos of the van (reversing camera, menus etc) are now of a Golf!

Hopefully this will make VW Commercial Vehicles finally admit there's an issue and also update their software, but in the meantime, at least there's now a solution.

So I'm loving having Google Maps on the main screen in the van, but has anyone else had the following issue:

One the van is connected to the phone, I'm then unable to play any audio from the phone - Google Music, Spotify etc., say they're playing, but there's no actual audio. I can still play the radio, but as Android Auto also hijacks Bluetooth (not sure why, it's connected via USB), it's not possible to send the audio that way.

I can, however, hear instructions from Google Maps.

Anyone found a solution? I like to listen to LBC on catch-up via my phone, and I can't work out how to have both Android Auto and audio from the phone.
It would appear that your not the only one with this problem. Very same thing is happening to me.... VW 6.1. Apparently it's an issue with the van and not the phone. No issues at all when I use it in my wifes car and there lots of reports on Android Auto forum. Ill be going back to the dealer to get it sorted.

It would appear that your not the only one with this problem. Very same thing is happening to me.... VW 6.1. Apparently it's an issue with the van and not the phone. No issues at all when I use it in my wifes car and there lots of reports on Android Auto forum. Ill be going back to the dealer to get it sorted.
Read the post immediately before yours - it is the van and there's now a software update that solves it.

SOLVED!

VW Commercial Vehicles still deny there's an issue and aren't even looking for a fix.

However, VW Passenger Cars have acknowledged the problem and released new software to rectify it. My dealer has loaded the Passenger Cars software onto my head unit and now everything is working fine. I have full access to Spotify, Google Play Music etc. whilst using Android Auto.

The only anomaly is that all the logos of the van (reversing camera, menus etc) are now of a Golf!

Hopefully this will make VW Commercial Vehicles finally admit there's an issue and also update their software, but in the meantime, at least there's now a solution.

Strange that VW won't acknowledge the problem. California Chris mentioned that issue in one of his vids (below), so at least 1 VW dealer is aware of the issue.

go to 30 seconds to skip the intro...

Dealers are clearly aware of the issue, but VW Commercial's Technical dept. in Germany are, according to my dealer, saying the problem isn't the vehicle and must be the customer's phone/cable/OS etc. so aren't currently looking for a solution.

I suggested that surely Passenger Cars would send the info of the fault/fix over to Commercial Vehicles and his answer was that VW just doesn't work like that.

Dealers are clearly aware of the issue, but VW Commercial's Technical dept. in Germany are, according to my dealer, saying the problem isn't the vehicle and must be the customer's phone/cable/OS etc. so aren't currently looking for a solution.

I suggested that surely Passenger Cars would send the info of the fault/fix over to Commercial Vehicles and his answer was that VW just doesn't work like that.

How VW works : postpone loads of new builds, then give official build dates, then wait 4 weeks after that build date to begin the build, then take more than a week (and counting) for it to be "in production"... just how long is that production line in Hannover?

I'm shocked at how little VW have moved on in the last decade... I stopped buying VW products when my 2006 Passat developed a serious injector problem that VW refused to accept was their problem, despite a national recall in the US for the same issue and a massive VOSA case here in the UK. Long story short, they eventually repaired my fault but wouldn't replace the 3 other injectors and said I'd have to wait for them to fail as well. Oh, and when they fail, the engine stops (no matter what speed you're doing!), and you lose power to the steering and brakes. I'd just bought the Passat as a family vehicle when my son was born so the idea of driving around waiting for it all to pack in was ridiculous. I sold that car within a couple of weeks and never looked at VW again. That is until last year when my wife bought a new Polo and I started looking at the T6 (which I'd been a fan of for years). "They must've improved reliability and customer care since back then" (or words to that effect) I said to my wife. Doesn't look like that's the case at all.

I've been waiting for a van to be built since early March. Covid or not that's a mighty long time between order and delivery. It's looking like I won't get to see it until at least October now... 8 months. Shocking. Getting information from VW... difficult. Accuracy of information from VW... very low. I've been seriously toying with the idea of binning off my order and going to Mercedes who say they can sort me out a v-class or Marco Polo variant within a few weeks. It's a shame I have my heart set on a T6.

How VW works : postpone loads of new builds, then give official build dates, then wait 4 weeks after that build date to begin the build, then take more than a week (and counting) for it to be "in production"... just how long is that production line in Hannover?

It's as if there's a global pandemic going on.

picked up my van yesterday and yep android auto isn't working properly.

No sound on spotify and podcasts but does have sound on maps. Press the steering wheel volume button and it doesn't go up but will go down.

Hope VW sort this soon

Madness!! so what got you talking to VW passenger car division.

So glad I've read this. Got my new 70 plate transporter 2 weeks ago and have been pulling my hair out with this, changing every setting, installing, reinstalling. Van has to go back into dealers as has a problem with the SOS button or something:cautious:. Was also missing the T and R from transporter, so am currently driving an ansporter. Bit of a shambles really, will be asking them to slap that software update on:thumbsup:

• Haha
Reactions: CAB
So glad I've read this. Got my new 70 plate transporter 2 weeks ago and have been pulling my hair out with this, changing every setting, installing, reinstalling. Van has to go back into dealers as has a problem with the SOS button or something:cautious:. Was also missing the T and R from transporter, so am currently driving an ansporter. Bit of a shambles really, will be asking them to slap that software update on:thumbsup:
Holy crap letters missing that's a joke. Must admit while I've been ply lining my panel Van I've noticed how shocking the sealant is they've put on the panels. Looks like a blind man with a broom did it lol. Not the usual German quality

Has anyone had any luck getting this to work. I've just a T6.1 and android auto was one of the reasons in buying it. Spent a few days trying to get this sorted with no luck.

Hi to everyone! SOLVED!
Just made this video with this great tip to solve this issue with AA.

Here´s the link to the video where step by step is explained.

I hope it works to you as well!

Excellent find well done

Tried this and it works :) its still a little buggy and annoying we have to do this in a brand new van but hopefully VW will pull their finger out and fix it properly.

Thanks

I picked up my new T6.1 on Saturday and Android Auto appears to be working correctly... volume works as it should and no issue with playing music. I can even leave AA connected and still play Bluetooth audio from my phone. The dealer didn't do anything with the software, so it must've come out of the factory like that.

I picked up my new T6.1 on Saturday and Android Auto appears to be working correctly... volume works as it should and no issue with playing music. I can even leave AA connected and still play Bluetooth audio from my phone. The dealer didn't do anything with the software, so it must've come out of the factory like that.

That's good to hear so they've obviously fixed it now. I'm waiting to hear from VW I emailed again Saturday as I still haven't had a call back from my dealer after 3 weeks.

That's good to hear so they've obviously fixed it now. I'm waiting to hear from VW I emailed again Saturday as I still haven't had a call back from my dealer after 3 weeks.

Sound like you need to turn up on their forecourt and refuse to leave!

Might have to.

Just looking round the van and there's a few bits I'm not happy with.

Just noticed the front number plate isn't even central , it's 1/4" to one side , perhaps they did that to match the bumper protector on the back that's not central either. Also there were a few scratches I noticed on collection which they polished but I've found more since.

Back