T32 204 DSG fuel consumption

@Phil Blackburn yeah 25 for general driving doesn’t seem right at all....i will chuck a tank of the good stuff in today and see what happens over this next tank. I will use it for commute a bit more which is 80 mile round trip on the M5 and see if it goes up....instead of my missus pottering around town!
What remap do you have? It is something i wonder whether i will get.....more power is always going to p***k my ears up but then i need to remind myself we have bought a van for family vehicle.....not for me to have silly fun in like my last few cars. I know it can improve fuel economy though

@Tourershine and @BognorMotors great info thanks. One thing i do worry with remaps is possible ‘side effects’ on the engine,gearbox etc.
It is something i have considered on previous cars but either warranty has put me off, the worry of something going wrong to the car or the fact I've changed them so Frequently that i never got round to it.
If i said to my missus that i want it mapped shed go mental....i already gave her the shpeel that the higher powered van will be better on fuel so if i now go on about a remap....i will never hear the end of it

Remaps help as have been pointed out it but won’t transform your mpg.

I know why you've been conservative here, but I for once, disagree with you Oli. I genuinely see around 50-100 miles more out of a tank of fuel in mine since the Revo and TVS. If you think of the mileage I do up and down the country every day, it wouldn't take that long until both maps are paid for, without doing the exact calculations. Plus factor in the fun factor and the overall much better drivability of the Transporter and I think the cost of these maps are actually very good value.

That’s great news @toureshine, we alway point out there may be improvements in mpg but never use it as the main selling point, as a lot of people just drive their vehicles harder, so never see an improvement.

I’m pleased it’s working for you though, and ultimately you have a van thats a better drive and will eventually pay for the maps and save you money. Maybe you can save enough money to buy some more wheels :cool:

@Tourershine and @BognorMotorsOne thing i do worry with remaps is possible ‘side effects’ on the engine,gearbox etc.
It is something i have considered on previous cars but either warranty has put me off, the worry of something going wrong to the car or the fact I've changed them so Frequently that i never got round to it.

You could use the warranty argument when fitting none standard wheels, or none standard suspension, or upgrading the brakes. All reasons VW could reject a warranty claim if they really wanted to, but most of us do it.

As for side effects. Throughout the years i've been messing about with vehicles, things like maps have moved on leaps. Gone are the days of maxing out perimeters and blowing up turbos and gearboxes. Good mapping companies will get the best out of an engine and box, without compromising the safety of your components, but I understand it's all personal choice.

@VanDamMan i have heard of that before actually but never needed to do it. You recommend it yeah? Whats the cost of that sort of thing if you know?
It has been on quite a few pottering about trips round town by the wife....
I have had it on a few motorway stretches at around 70 mile per hour and i felt like i was just watching the fuel gauge go down!
It is decieving though as the gauge is big so it will show movement more than a smaller gauge but still feels like im just tipping my wallet out the window as it goes down
Hi @T6Micky88 ..just started using the fuel additive (archoil) but not used the other products yet as mines a clean engine but this link

may help...... on previous posts it’s been mentioned that for some owners VW dealers are using such products to clean(ish) the internals working on the basis if the injectors are clean and alike the engine runs better...but it’s like having a performance engine and expecting it to perform just on short journeys ...it does it no good at all....as said before using good fuel and giving it a good run helps
but the overall idea is to get the engine to a point you know it’s clean/ healthy and go from there......back in the day after buying a used vehicle I’d get a full service carried out so I new it had a good start.. Happy motoring :thumbsup:

Last edited:
There are people commenting here with far more knowledge and experience than me. However, my own (limited) experience with a 204 DSG 4motion T32 is a that the biggest influence on economy is journey type. If I do a couple of weeks of just short runs, round town, I'm lucky to average 25mpg. On nice long gentle runs mid 30s are possible. Overall though, my average is around 27mpg but that does include a couple of long runs with the caravan in tow. I experimented with 4 consecutive full tanks of premium fuel but gave up, as in my experience it made no difference to economy whatsoever (but accept it may have had other benefits for the engine).

Hi
I have T32 204 BiTurbo DSG LWB 4M Kombi.
I find short journeys give a consumption of 30mph.
If I do a long motorway journey it goes to mid 40s mph. That is because the big turbo starts working and engine is more efficient. Above 1800-2000rpm.
hard to get big turbo on line when you are doing van speed limits on small roads and then it is a heavy lump to get back up to speed after roundabouts.

204 dsg 4motion euro multivan with a pendle remap and easy get 35-38mpg with summer tyres and on motorway runs with cruise set to 80mph

@Phil Blackburn yeah 25 for general driving doesn’t seem right at all....i will chuck a tank of the good stuff in today and see what happens over this next tank. I will use it for commute a bit more which is 80 mile round trip on the M5 and see if it goes up....instead of my missus pottering around town!
What remap do you have? It is something i wonder whether i will get.....more power is always going to p***k my ears up but then i need to remind myself we have bought a van for family vehicle.....not for me to have silly fun in like my last few cars. I know it can improve fuel economy though
I'm actually running a DTUK one at the moment with their pedal box and TCU gearbox flash, only went down this route while it was under warranty.

My T32 65 plate 140 DSG on my last tank did 32.8 , it’s got 60 k and mostly short mixed motorway and a road driving

I have a T32 204 manual, and ironically i was told I had a heavy right foot,,,,,, by the main dealer when i queried it, now I know i dont, and I used to get 38mpg, then 36 then 34 see the pattern, now 28 and the NOX sensor failure.... As wel as EGR, My response if your in warrenty get it checked as there are 2 NOX sensors and 497 plus VAT

I've got a 199DSG 6.1 and the calculated average for first fuel up was 36.72 mpg - this included a longish run down to Wiltshire from Liverpool. Last fill up which is more representative of daily driving around town and worked out at 31.59 mpg. This is covering over 500miles on around 60l of fuel, so still a quarter tank left... I really like having the 80l fuel tank. I've only stopped for fuel twice since new and covered just under 1100 miles.

Like @Tourershine I also had both Revo and TVS done by @BognorMotors on our 150 caravelle and now average well over 600 miles per tank compared to 550 before, regular Shell diesel and Wynns gold additive every 4th tank, I think its the improved torque spread matched to more intelligent gear changes that make the difference

On a BITDI there isn’t a stage 2 available out of the box. Would be full a full custom setup.
Not something we have done. Stage 1 is just so well balanced.

On a BITDI there isn’t a stage 2 available out of the box. Would be full a full custom setup.
Not something we have done. Stage 1 is just so well balanced.
Ok cheers Oli, I didn't realise the 150 was BiTDI, thought it was only the 204

Sorry I thought we am were talking BITDI (not paying attention) same applies to both engines. Stage 2 is a big step and custom tuning.

Back