Fuel Additives

JasonW

VCDS User
T6 Legend
I've red lots of debate and posts regarding which fuel people use.... but i've not come across much information regarding which if any of the fuel additives are worth using to help maintain a healthy dpf....

I've come across this one from the redex brand.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Redex-RADD...ocphy=1007118&hvtargid=pla-453257034396&psc=1

And the Millers one looks to have a good rep and is designed for Euro VI engines..

Millers Oils Diesel Power EcoMax

Would be interested to hear which ones, if any that are recommended....

When I had a LR Defender 2.4 diesel engine I used Millers with standard diesel especially when abroad and it did make quite a difference, less so when I had the later 2.2 engine.

Not tried either in the 68plate Caravelle yet, I usually use premium so no need. Later this year I will be driving quite a bit around Europe I will pack a bottle of Millers just in case any local fuel is not so good, ie, French supermarket fuel in my experience can be hit or miss!!

Used Redex for some time, but then changed over to shell power. Don't notice any difference in drive but think that is is keeping the engine healthy and so happy with that.

I use miller on most fill ups and it helps at low revs especially with weight in the van. It all so cuts down on regens so keeps my average mpg up 2 or 3 mpg. I think it works out about £14.00 for 500 l of fuel so if used with cheap supermarket fuel makes it good value and top grade fuel .

Quoted from another thread....

...Something to consider though. The difference in a 70 litre tank between filling with standard diesel and premium diesel is about £4.20. (6p per litre, roughly)

Redex fuel additive regularly appears on offer at supermarkets for £2 for a 250ml bottle. If you use 1 bottle a tank, (double dosing) it displaces 250 ml of fuel. About 30p worth. So the Redex then costs the equivalent of £1.70 a bottle.

So adding your own Redex to standard diesel is £2.50(ish) a tank cheaper than using premuim diesel.

been using diesel rhino for about 6 years.....in conjunction with shell v power. probably over the top but there you go....it makes me feel better.

Thanks for the info guys, appreciated :thumbsup:

Think i'll start off with the millers...

I don't think there would be any benefit in running much more. Basically it improves combustion by raising the cetane level. From my POV there is a finite result from the cetene improver; once that has been reached I very much doubt that any further gain can be obtained.

There is very much a snake oil effect here, Redex et al have been coining in on it for years, but testing has shown that the cetene rating CAN be improved by these things. I definitely get a return from it. They do it in small bottles if you just want to give it a punt?

Thanks, I'll keep it in mind @widu13

I'll give the millers a go first... recommended dosage for that one is one ml of millers per litre of diesel.

Seems like a good starting point...

Im looking for some solid tech advice here if I may.

I've read a number of posts and reviews relating to diesel additives and their benefits, but Im uncertain whether they work for 2019/2020 t6 engines.

Would I be correct in saying that if I was to fill up with a premium brand fuel rather than a supermarket fuel then there is no need for an additive - Im assuming that might be the case but Id rather take the forums advice on this.

Thank you once again for your help

This comes up frequently, it's either snake oil or it's a placebo or you feel better knowing you're looking after your engine. Pick whichever suits you best.

Personally, I own my van outright, I have no plans to sell it so I use premium fuel and a shot of Millers on every fill-up.

I would say that with my regime the dpf doesn't block as frequently as it used to when I used cheap fuel for a week and ran out of additive.

Back