SWB vs LWB: Pros and cons

I'm looking at getting a new van with a camper conversion in the near future. One question I keep asking is SWB or LWB? Apart from the obvious pros and cons that the extra length gives what else do I need to think about? Does it impact on insurance, ferry prices or anything else?
Please let me know your experiences if you have had both.
Thanks
Gosh, the old ones keeping coming back!

Thread merged

Hi All

Looking for opinions on having a Long Wheel Base as a daily drive compared with the short wheel base, before I spend my cash.

Wondered about parking especially in car parks as see swb seem to fit in the space fine. Does anyone have issues in car parks with getting parking tickets as the too long for the space.

Any other cons to having a LWB

Thanks

i drive mine every day and no real issues. If parking in the town, i might have to park out of the way and walk a bit further than if i was in the car but good exercise. I'm well under the 2m height but i dont chance multi storey carparks as they are a bit tight for turns etc. at the supermarket, i have always parked in the far corner anyhow so no issues there as you do need a bit more space than the standard bay. go for it

i drive mine every day and no real issues. If parking in the town, i might have to park out of the way and walk a bit further than if i was in the car but good exercise. I'm well under the 2m height but i dont chance multi storey carparks as they are a bit tight for turns etc. at the supermarket, i have always parked in the far corner anyhow so no issues there as you do need a bit more space than the standard bay. go for it

What he said :)

I contemplated between swb and lwb for my kombi. I just use it for bikes in the back and I’m pleased I got the lwb so the bikes go straight in without having to take any wheels out.

You have to be a bit more picky with where you park and a 3 point turn might turn into a 5 point turn when it’s a bit narrow between rows of spaces but other than that it’s been fine so far.

I have a LWB T5 (still on the waiting list…) and never had any bother parking it. I can get a least three MTBs in the back (camper conversion) wheels on, so LWB every time for me.

Hi All

Looking for opinions on having a Long Wheel Base as a daily drive compared with the short wheel base, before I spend my cash.

Wondered about parking especially in car parks as see swb seem to fit in the space fine. Does anyone have issues in car parks with getting parking tickets as the too long for the space.

Any other cons to having a LWB

Thanks
If you have room to park/ garage a LWB at home, get a LWB. If you don't, move! :rofl:

Seriously though, all other "issues" associated with a LWB are non-issues.

I always park in supermarket bays, 2 in line, then have about 1/2 metre into the rear. Small cars could come behind ok. The other reason, on a normal bay, opening the tail gate, you are well onto the path of passing, parking motors.
As for 3 point turns, into 5, wow, never thought of that as an issue for choosing SWB over LWB. How many tight reverse turns does a driver make in a year?
LWB much more versatile, no worries about lengthy boards, timber etc. Less bounce than a SWB, feels steadier on motorways as well. You may gain 2-3 MPG with the less weight. But more than compensates with the extra length and, leg room etc. Can't see how how 800mm will make a huge difference, to once or twice a year ferry crossings. IMO.

I always park in supermarket bays, 2 in line, then have about 1/2 metre into the rear. Small cars could come behind ok. The other reason, on a normal bay, opening the tail gate, you are well onto the path of passing, parking motors.
As for 3 point turns, into 5, wow, never thought of that as an issue for choosing SWB over LWB. How many tight reverse turns does a driver make in a year?
LWB much more versatile, no worries about lengthy boards, timber etc. Less bounce than a SWB, feels steadier on motorways as well. You may gain 2-3 MPG with the less weight. But more than compensates with the extra length and, leg room etc. Can't see how how 800mm will make a huge difference, to once or twice a year ferry crossings. IMO.
It’s only 400mm difference

One slight disadvantage of a LWB is that the Kerb Weight is marginally higher than the equivalent SWB, which means you have marginally less payload available.

Firstly I apologise in advance if this had been asked already.

I’ve joined today and have a couple of questions.

I’m in the market for a T6 Kombi. I’m new to these and was wondering what the best options are. Is it best to look at the SWB or the LWB? Do the prices vary according to the wheel base?

Does the LWB version struggle more when comes to paring?

I want to use the van for a bit of work at the moment, but being semi retired I am looking at converting it more towards a camper in the next couple of years. I’m very naive at the moment, but looking forward to getting on board.

any info on best places to look to buy a used Kombi would be hugely appreciate. It’s a bloody minefield out there Budget is circa 25k - 30k

Thanks

Nigel

Threads merged

Hello, have a go on the Search function, top right corner of the screen.
Here’s one search result for starters;

I had the same budget but have no real intention of converting so wanted a SWB as It fits my needs better, I wanted DSG and tailgate as a must so had even less pickings, I picked one up Saturday for right at the top of my budget from on here.

What Fuzz? Have travelled Norwich - Glasgow x 2 this year and just done 550 round trip Norwich -Crawley, Ringwood Harlow and Norwich. Didn't see one Police Car or Highways in nearly 1500 miles.

Back