Battery Under Drivers Seat Or Rear Of Lwb?

Discussion in 'Electrics, Lighting, ICE, Security' started by OllieGBR, 3 Dec 2019 at 19:22.

1. OllieGBR

OllieGBR Member VIP Member T6 Pro

I'm trying to understand the pros/ cons of fitting the leisure battery and associated paraphernalia under the drivers seat vs a bespoke locker at the rear of my LWB.

Driver seat pros;
    • short cable run from starter battery
    • can be a neat solution
    • put a socket directly on the rear of the seat base
    Driver seat cons;
    • DC-DC charger, battery (lithium or AGM TBC), consumer unit etc - it's a lot of kit in a small space
    • weight distribution?
    • I was planning to have the heater venting in this area
    Having the battery at the rear possibly means I can add an additional battery at some point, mount the hardware on some ply, making it easier for fault finding.
    I worry about the potential for voltage drop with such a long run from the front of the van....?

Has anyone placed their leisure battery outside of the normal driver/ passenger seat location? I want to upgrade the passenger seat at some point in the future, from the double to a single captains swivel so without the base I think that's out too.

Once again, thanks all!
    (Still more questions than answers)

2. Ads_Essex

Ads_Essex Local lowlife VIP Member T6 Legend

Map
    How about an underslung mount?

3. Ads_Essex

Ads_Essex Local lowlife VIP Member T6 Legend

Map
  4. Long tall John

Long tall John Member VIP Member

Would it freeze quicker under there?... it probably would, but would that be an issue?

5. oldiebut goodie

oldiebut goodie Senior Member VIP Member T6 Guru

Lorries always used to have them outside,

6. Bryn23

Bryn23 Senior Member VIP Member T6 Guru

I’d personally look at putting it in the rear, if you can fit a larger battery.

voltage drop isn’t an issue with a DC-DC charger with the correct sized cable.

access is easier than taking the seat and swivel out if you do have a fault, although if it’s wired up right, the battery should be fine for quite a while.

OllieGBR likes this.
  7. OllieGBR

OllieGBR Member VIP Member T6 Pro

Thanks Bryn, after thinking this through last night that's what I'm going to do. I can't mount under the van as contemplating Lithium.