Stumped by 'simple' clips.

Skyliner33

VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Its been so difficult to find someone to fit the floor rails for my California bed I decided to fit them myself. So after buying brackets and all the kit and after much procrastinating, putting off the job, I decided it was time to get it done.

SO after about 1.5hours under the van removing bolts, clips etc to get the aluminium heat guards off from over the exhaust I am stumped.

Firstly I came upon this, holding the handbrake cable, there is no way the black plastic bit slides out of the metal bracket, which is held to the chassis with a rivet:

Screenshot 2022-06-02 at 10.34.47.png

So I decided if I could drop more of the plastics then I might get some wriggle room to get it off another way.

Trying to get the plastic trim off under the driver seat I can across another of VW's little traps to make things difficult.

This little bugger. I cant get a grip on it with anything to 'unscrew it', or bend the little tabs that grip the thread:

Screenshot 2022-06-02 at 10.35.16.png

Why the French connection UK have VW made things so awkward. Im sure converters must just break bits to remove the trim from underneath the van, but I'm not happy with that.

Well I guess its another couple of hours to put it all back on.

&^*^&)%&£@$

Just venting frustration.

Last edited:
Clicky linky
I'm sure if you shop around you'll find a cheaper one , I don't think mine was as expensive as that. As for the handbrake cable , the rubber grommet definitely comes out of the bracket with some gentle persuasion .

Make sure the handbrake is off, or it won't come out.

The other round clip are a pain. I break them off and replace with new ones.

The handbrake cable rubber does pop out. Use a strong screwdriver and wiggle it behind the rubber part to leaver it out. If it's not budging put some washing liquid on it.

Clicky linky
I'm sure if you shop around you'll find a cheaper one , I don't think mine was as expensive as that. As for the handbrake cable , the rubber grommet definitely comes out of the bracket with some gentle persuasion .
Thanks, that tool wouldn’t go on the one i photoed. The plastic would block it.
Make sure the handbrake is off, or it won't come out.

The other round clip are a pain. I break them off and replace with new ones.

The handbrake cable rubber does pop out. Use a strong screwdriver and wiggle it behind the rubber part to leaver it out. If it's not budging put some washing liquid on it.
Thanks for the suggestions. The handbrake thing is plastic not rubber.
There is ni way i could pull that out ( cable was disconnected further back.

Re the guard clips - couple of round head nails in the end of a bit of wood?
I got them all off except the one in the photo. It can’t be unscrewed due to the 3 plastic tabs. It must have been pushed on, but obviously they are designed not to pull off. :/

Looking at the photo above I'd try to get a small screwy under the clip where you have marked the plastic tab to try and get the clip past it. The tab may break but once the clip is past that tab you'll have 2/3rds of the clip free which may allow it to wiggle away. I can't make out how long the thread is so if that's more than a few mm then this may not work.

As for the handbrake guide, they got it on so it must come off. Can you get an adjustable spanner round it then use a small hammer to nudge it out?

Looking at the photo above I'd try to get a small screwy under the clip where you have marked the plastic tab to try and get the clip past it. The tab may break but once the clip is past that tab you'll have 2/3rds of the clip free which may allow it to wiggle away. I can't make out how long the thread is so if that's more than a few mm then this may not work.

As for the handbrake guide, they got it on so it must come off. Can you get an adjustable spanner round it then use a small hammer to nudge it out?
The thread that star clip is on is at least 20mm. And it’s recessed the full height of the plastics. (20 - 25 cm at a guess so really hard to get any access at it.
I agree, that guide went on, so that’s one if the reasons I puzzled that it’s proved so difficult. I really don’t want to break it.

It looks to me that the plastic tabs are to stop the circular clip falling out as the shield is put in position. Are they stopping the clip rotating or just hindering the tool locating correctly?

It looks to me that the plastic tabs are to stop the circular clip falling out as the shield is put in position. Are they stopping the clip rotating or just hindering the tool locating correctly?
Hi, they would prevent to tool locating. I am not sure how tight they are to stop the clip rotating as, due to the lack of accessibility, i cant get anything on the clip properly to grt enough purchase to unscrew it.

I think when I took mine off, with all of the other fixings removed, it pulled down with a couple of sharp tugs.
The handbrake cable fixing I just drifted across with a block of wood and a hammer.

I think when I took mine off, with all of the other fixings removed, it pulled down with a couple of sharp tugs.
The handbrake cable fixing I just drifted across with a block of wood and a hammer.
Thanks. I might have another look next weekend.

The plastic handbrake piece does remove but is extremely tight! Plenty of lubricant and it will come...
The underbody clips are an absolute nightmare. Sometimes if they are very stubborn it can be easier to cut them and replace. I have lots in stock so you're welcome to one if it makes life a bit easier for you! :thumbsup:

Back