I managed to find a new GTI polo steering wheel with DSG paddles and air bag. I wanted the red stitching and the red illumination on the switches to match the rest of the dash, so following the fine work and advice from @RattyMcClelland i new what steering wheel i needed to achieve this. The only problem i encountered was i could see the wiring loom on the GTI airbag was different to the T6 wheel. I installed the wheel and bag as it was wired just to see if it worked . It did.... apart from no horn or cruise control :confused:.... So i swapped the T6 wiring loom onto the gti air bag and result it all worked perfectly paddles and all :). So i think thats all the steering wheels covered for what ever type and version you would like, @T6 dork has done his conversion to paddles and flat bottom wheel with the standard airbag.
so if anyone else wishes to do a steering wheel mod you know what to do now and what works :thumbsup:

20170202_141657.jpg 20170202_141641.jpg 20170202_200646.jpg

I managed to find a new GTI polo steering wheel with DSG paddles and air bag. I wanted the red stitching and the red illumination on the switches to match the rest of the dash, so following the fine work and advice from @RattyMcClelland i new what steering wheel i needed to achieve this. The only problem i encountered was i could see the wiring loom on the GTI airbag was different to the T6 wheel. I installed the wheel and bag as it was wired just to see if it worked . It did.... apart from no horn or cruise control :confused:.... So i swapped the T6 wiring loom onto the gti air bag and result it all worked perfectly paddles and all :). So i think thats all the steering wheels covered for what ever type and version you would like, @T6 dork has done his conversion to paddles and flat bottom wheel with the standard airbag.
so if anyone else wishes to do a steering wheel mod you know what to do now and what works :thumbsup:

View attachment 4587 View attachment 4588 View attachment 4589
That's a nice looking wheel @StudleyGlass ,so the mods have started now

That's a nice looking wheel @StudleyGlass ,so the mods have started now

Well it seems to be all working fine after a few miles and 3 months old so i thought i treat myself :)

Next up finish sportsline kit (front end) then bilsteins and rims. I think that will do this year , interior next year if all is still well ;)

Last edited:
Tried the paddles out today, they work really well. You can just jump on them any time, good fast shift when you need full control of the box ,then just hold the right one in for a second and back to auto drive.

Right the wheel is here!

Just gone back through this thread but can't find any destructions, anyone able to point me in the right direction after the battery is disconnected please?

You can remove the airbag with a small short slot screwdriver. It is a bit fiddly as you are working blind on the back of the wheel but it does work. They are spring clips you need to catch with the end of the screwdriver and the bag will pop forward. Have a look at the gti one you have and you will see from that. When the air bag is free gently pull out and unclip the plugs on the back (2 plugs) . The bolt that holds the wheel on is a 12mm spline/hex bolt type i think , not sure what there called sorry :unsure:. The wiring loom on the bag may be the same as your T6 so no need to change, if not you can swap them over they are just push connectors and a push clip holding it on.

Sorted.

Just swapped it over and road tested it and its all good!
Hardest part is flicking the airbag retainers off while working blind.
Really pleased with it though!
View attachment 4896

Has anyone had any joy selling their standard Highline MFSW?
Where are you all getting these flat bottomed wheels from? I look on the internet and the one's I find are all minus a fairly major component in my book - the airbag (and cover).

eBay! Mine was from Portugal for £300 all in.

If you can buy half a one at a sensiable price then see what a new air bag is from TPS it might be worth doing.

eBay! Mine was from Portugal for £300 all in.

If you can buy half a one at a sensiable price then see what a new air bag is from TPS it might be worth doing.
Cheers will take a look at that.

Back