Steel Smoothies

I get asked this constantly and I do drive like a racing driver sometimes and I can categorically state that my van, a heavy T32 driven normally 90% of the time and like I've stolen it 10% of the time, feels no different from any set of wheel to the next, including every size of banded steel made, alloys and the wheels below.

The only difference I do notice from wheel to wheel is the general pickup on acceleration. Not a huge amount, but you can feel that some wheel and tyre combinations will pick up faster than others, but braking, no difference.

View attachment 137089
This looks fab. Have you had to do any front arch plastic bending? What size are the wheels and what tyres are you running. The set I have a 20x9 et 35. About to order solows but really struggling to work out what tyre size. Been told 225 or 255/35/20. But can only find super budget ones that are load rated.

View attachment 137106Thanks, that’s good to know seeing as I’ve just had some 20x9 eBay specials powder coated. I hadn’t really given the cooling much thought until the garage that are fitting the coilovers mentioned it. They’re pretty heavy though!
Glad you think they are heavy to . I was quite surprised when I picked one up. I look forward to seeing yours fitted.

This looks fab. Have you had to do any front arch plastic bending? What size are the wheels and what tyres are you running. The set I have a 20x9 et 35. About to order solows but really struggling to work out what tyre size. Been told 225 or 255/35/20. But can only find super budget ones that are load rated.

My plastic inner arches have worn away over time, so nothing really rubs anymore.
Mine are the staggered 20" versions running 255 35 rear and 235 35 fronts. If I was running a 9" like yours, I'd personally run 235s because they sit lovely on my front 8.5s

My plastic inner arches have worn away over time, so nothing really rubs anymore.
Mine are the staggered 20" versions running 255 35 rear and 235 35 fronts. If I was running a 9" like yours, I'd personally run 235s because they sit lovely on my front 8.5s
Am I right in thinking your a t32 on solows ? If so how wound up or down are you and did you have to shorten the rear bump stops? If running at full height could I get away with not chopping them?

Am I right in thinking your a t32 on solows ? If so how wound up or down are you and did you have to shorten the rear bump stops? If running at full height could I get away with not chopping them?

Yes T32 on Solows, around half way down, but with the modified front top mount. Yes we cut the bump stops down. I'm not sure if you will on full height. @fezza68 or @RedUn might be able to answer that one.

dont need to mod the bumpstops on solow full height. i did it and moved the abs cable just in case
Thanks guys I may just move the abs and see how I get on. Solows , top mount kit and tyres ordered this morning. Shame I have to wait for my insurance to run out to fit them in January as my policy won’t allow non factory option modifications. But Adrian flux will and £200 a year cheaper.

I’m tempted by a set of these in bronze!
Had a few sets of 20” bronze alloys on my black van and love the colour combo but fancy a change.
Fitted my winter wheels/tyres yesterday (Velare 08’s) so maybe a summer thing!

I wasn’t sure about the yellow when you posted them earlier but they look great on the van

View attachment 138429View attachment 138430

Got the Projekt monotube lows on along with the wheels.

20x9 smoothies, et35

T32 running 104 rated 265/40/20 Goodyears.

Had to take the screw out the front arch and tuck the liner up as recommended on here and now it doesn’t rub at all.
Hey, don’t suppose you have touched your front wheels after a drive? Done 5000 miles on mine with no problems. My brother randomly touched one after a drive and they and the bolts were pretty damn hot

Back