Steel Smoothies

Hey, don’t suppose you have touched your front wheels after a drive? Done 5000 miles on mine with no problems. My brother randomly touched one after a drive and they and the bolts were pretty damn hot
His brakes aren’t binding are they?

Rather than create a new thread I thought I’d add to this. I bought some JBW smoothies last week. The finish of them was absolutely appalling, needless to say they’ve gone back. There was no explanation as to why they were so bad, I just told them they were going back and they collected them so I assume they’re used to it.

Here’s a couple of the issues and bear in mind these are just the defects on one of the wheels . . . The photos also don’t show that it is literally just the fronts of the wheels that are painted, the back of the front lips aren’t even finished.

With hindsight I should have bought the unpainted ones and had them refinished elsewhere.

C32B1CF2-0F8F-4A5A-AC72-ABDFC005F3B0.jpeg

800EAE71-6662-4209-83A5-61ADCF6F0813.jpeg

24A9AED3-A729-4D96-84B6-3850323D7D20.jpeg

Last edited:
I wouldn't of minded if they said that the paint was likely to be crap, I would have bought the bare ones or seconds and factored in the cost of having them refinished.

I have be looking at these wheels myself, this might have changed my mind.
Out of curiosity what centre caps fit directly onto these?

They look great. Did you fit 255/35/20 tyres ?
Yeah had a couple sets of powertrac city racing tyres. Cheap but have the right load rating. Only get about 10k miles out of a set on the rear but cheap enough I don’t mind and had no issues

I’ve just bought a set of 20” hoolies from John brown wheels. 8” front and 9” rear. They've come with 275 35 20 ‘s fitted. I’m going to swap the fonts to 255 35 20 I think as the 275’s are a bit to bulged out for me. I’m also not sure on them being black. I’m thinking silver chrome or bronze as I’ve taken bronze cells off. I’m just not sure.

4C280196-9F14-47A7-AAFF-F151DA2A2115.jpeg

24C3D6DC-DEB4-4EDA-A413-7CD8F76050E9.jpeg

0AFEF37A-1581-4225-86DF-90F13AFD3FEB.jpeg

I’ve just bought a set of 20” hoolies from John brown wheels. 8” front and 9” rear. They've come with 275 35 20 ‘s fitted. I’m going to swap the fonts to 255 35 20 I think as the 275’s are a bit to bulged out for me. I’m also not sure on them being black. I’m thinking silver chrome or bronze as I’ve taken bronze cells off. I’m just not sure.

View attachment 209995

View attachment 209996

View attachment 209997
Oops sorry I just realised this thread is for smoothies.

First time I've had chance to have a clean van today after fitting my second hand Steel Smoothies purchased from another forum member.
1705849233073.jpeg

Really pleased with the ride and fact that they just fitted without the need for spacers. No rubbing and oh so comfy!

Loving the Falken 255/55r18s:
1705849723048.jpeg

I am planning a wheel colour change to silver, but unsure of the sort of cost I should expect. Anyone know what sort of money I should budget for this?

Also, is it possible to obtain a Shadow Chrome finish on steel wheels? If anyone has this finish on steel wheels, some pics would be appreciated.

I am also planning of painting the mat centre caps gloss black. Has anyone any tips on what to use to minimise the paint coming away from the plastic.

First time I've had chance to have a clean van today after fitting my second hand Steel Smoothies purchased from another forum member.
View attachment 226390

Really pleased with the ride and fact that they just fitted without the need for spacers. No rubbing and oh so comfy!

View attachment 226396

I am planning a wheel colour change to silver, but unsure of the sort of cost I should expect. Anyone know what sort of money I should budget for this?

Also, is it possible to obtain a Shadow Chrome finish on steel wheels? If anyone has this finish on steel wheels, some pics would be appreciated.

I am also planning of painting the mat centre caps gloss black. Has anyone any tips on what to use to minimise the paint coming away from the plastic.
View attachment 226390

View attachment 226396

Hi you can definitely get the shadow chrome effect your after. I’ve had many steel parts powdered in that colour. I’ve recently had 20” steels powdered in bronze , the cost was £250. Yours should be slightly less as they look smaller. The centre caps I rubbed down in scotch bright. I then painted them in Halfords plastic primer. Then gloss black , then acrylic laquer as it gives a stronger finish. So far so good. I’ve jetwashed them a few times and they’ve been fine.

C33822D9-F5E3-4398-B4EF-2A755BE93848.png

DCCC544C-8331-4754-AB6A-4D131C71897B.png

Hi you can definitely get the shadow chrome effect your after. I’ve had many steel parts powdered in that colour. I’ve recently had 20” steels powdered in bronze , the cost was £250. Yours should be slightly less as they look smaller. The centre caps I rubbed down in scotch bright. I then painted them in Halfords plastic primer. Then gloss black , then acrylic laquer as it gives a stronger finish. So far so good. I’ve jetwashed them a few times and they’ve been fine.

View attachment 226785

View attachment 226786
Thanks for this. Those bronze wheels look fantastic.

I'm definitely going to get the wheels powder coated in shadow chrome when I swap back to my summer wheels.

Back