Starter Battery Wiring - VW Disagreement

It will catch up and after a couple of runs, it will be fully charged again.

It will catch up and after a couple of runs, it will be fully charged again.
@Loz do you think that my led auxiliary lights (which have been used lots when the van is used) could resulted in my battery drain as negative was connected to the negative clamp on the battery. Battery is fully charged now with the charger. So hopefully my battery will regularise itself now?

I doubt it, they are wired through a relay so only on when the van is running and no chance of residual draw really.

I doubt it, they are wired through a relay so only on when the van is running and no chance of residual draw really.

Hmmmm, wondering why my battery voltage then dropped to 12.1-12.2v. I don't use the van much at all. once a week now. Charged now so will see. On another thread I noticed that other members are saying that their vans are also in similar range around 12.2v as apparently battery needs to have some extra room for regenerative charge capacity, hence it's never fully charged?

Correct, and also with the cold weather batteries will suffer a bit plus you are using more consumers like light and heaters more etc and short journeys might not see the battery fully charged back up.

Reactions: EdH
Correct, and also with the cold weather batteries will suffer a bit plus you are using more consumers like light and heaters more etc and short journeys might not see the battery fully charged back up.
@Loz I will not trouble you any more, thank you very much for your input really appreciated, beer will be waiting for your if traveling this way. I would be more than pleased to show you my new van.

Amazes me how many converters are making this mistake. Its not like Euro6 is a new thing, right.

@Loz quick observation on my van. Took off the charge yesterday morning. Multimeter indicated 12.9v, today its showing 12.6v.

The only thing that I have plugged in is a dashcam but via usb C plug inlet to the side of cigarette lighter plug (there are 2 of these ports on t6.1). Camera goes off when the engine is turned off which would indicate that these usb C plugs power down, hence camera stays off. Could this still draw current despite camera being off?

12.6/7 is normal as the system will keep the battery at 80% to allow headroom for the regenerative braking. Regarding the USB sockets, you need to test if the socket is really off as the camera may shutdown when it seels the voltage drop after you switch off the engine.

Aha, ok. Being really simple here, how do I check if those usb ports are really off?

Aha, ok. Being really simple here, how do I check if those usb ports are really off?
do you have a new iPhone/iPad? they come with a USB C charging cable.

Sorry no. I have noted that those ports become alive when I unlock the van as the dash cam comes on (chimes), and camera shuts off when I lock. I used the usb d - to usb c adapter to plug it in as the cigarette lighter plug is always live, so dash cam would be on all the time, which I don't want.

IMG_20201209_144610287.jpg

IMG_20201209_144641035.jpg

Sounds like they are off then when the van BCU has shut down.

P
Sounds like they are off then when the van BCU has shut down.
Probably, as I have checked on few occasions to make sure that the camera is off and it's definitely off. I will keep an eye on the battery. Like you said yesterday it's probably due to the lack of use, and then not to have expectations that it's fully charged anyway due to the storage space. Just out of interest, how often one should charge/maintain their campervan battery like in my circumstances. Does it harm having it plugged in during the week and then use the van just over the weekend?

Most of us have battery monitors that can be read by a Bluetooth app on the phone.

Back