Starter Battery Wiring - VW Disagreement

Can I sort of resurrect this thread for some help please. Sterling 1230 b2b on a euro 6 stop/start.

What would happen if the positive in to the b2b (from starter battery) to positive out (to leisure battery) were transposed?

TIA

Not much I'd assume....

the charger would try to work the other way round.... IE the leisure battery would try to to charge the starter battery.

Which most likely wouldn't happen as the starter battery voltage would normally be higher than the leisure battery.

Folks

I know this is a old post from 2020
However the original OP describes my problem down to a T

VW T5 converted by CamperKing in 2013
Previous owner said it needed starting every week.

Changed the Starter battery which Halfords said had 33% usage
However the starting issues still continue

As can be seen from the first photo it looks like the B2B charger is indeed been connected to the negative battery terminal.
Going off various posts in this thread , I am correct the two wires currently attached to the negative terminal should in fact be attached to the body earth

Thanks

Matt

20230222_162537.jpg

20230222_162542.jpg

20230222_162554.jpg

20230222_162649.jpg

Folks

As can be seen from the first photo it looks like the B2B charger is indeed been connected to the negative battery terminal.
Going off various posts in this thread , I am correct the two wires currently attached to the negative terminal should in fact be attached to the body earth

Thanks

Matt

View attachment 189387

View attachment 189388

View attachment 189389

View attachment 189390
Yes, correct. They are bypassing the VW battery monitor so can cause a drain that the van doesn’t know about.

Folks

Thanks

Matt

View attachment 189387

View attachment 189388

View attachment 189389

View attachment 189390
Not in a problem in a T5, it doesn’t have a smart alternator so it doesn’t matter

The previous comments relate to T6 vehicles that all have smart alternators and start stop systems installed

Your vehicle does not have a negative shunt fitted so it wont have a smart alternator or start/stop system so you are fine to connect direct to the battery

Thanks , looks like I need to find a suitable body ground point

Then give it a few weeks to see if the issue goes away.
No you don’t. Please read the rest of the replies.

Thanks , looks like I need to find a suitable body ground point

Then give it a few weeks to see if the issue goes away.
No, my first reply was incorrect. Others have corrected me. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks folks for the explanation

Looks like I will have to keep looking as to why my T5 battery is getting drained over 5 / 7 days

Thanks folks for the explanation

Looks like I will have to keep looking as to why my T5 battery is getting drained over 5 / 7 days

I suggest you start a new thread. In that thread tell us what all those wires on the positive terminal are connected to.
Also, you will need a clamp meter to measure current in each wire.

Pete

Back