Squeaky Tailgate

Might have to try that on mine , I've re altered my tailgate, stopped for a little while bit has now come back , driving me nuts

Might have to try that on mine , I've re altered my tailgate, stopped for a little while bit has now come back , driving me nuts
Same here, tail gate adjusted twice which worked for a couple of miles , all seals treated,get on a bad road that it rattles on, flick the open catch but don’t lift the door and drive with it like that , if it’s same cause as mine there will be no rattle

I did wrap insulating tape around the pin and it is quiet now but you shouldn't have to do that.
The T5 had two catches think that's where the problem arose making a cheaper latching system.

Just an update on my squeaky tailgate, called in at the dealers , met a lovely technician,apparently it’s becoming a common problem and I’m not the first to bring the van back in . He adjusted side clamps, greased , told me to go away as it makes some horrifying noises to get it lined up right ,,and did a few other adjustments on the tailgate with some more greaseing, 4 days on and it’s staying lovely and quiet !! Fingers crossed!

I did wrap insulating tape around the pin and it is quiet now but you shouldn't have to do that.
The T5 had two catches think that's where the problem arose making a cheaper latching system.
No we shouldn’t! On a £35k + van it’s a bad design, if it was a van with bulkhead and not Kombi you probably wouldn’t hear it

Did anyone’s noises get worse when it’s cold?
Mine has developed this horrific rattle from what I think is the passenger sliding door. I’ve tried silicon spray on the seals and checked the sidebars where tight. When I drove to work yesterday afternoon it was silent so I thought I’d cured it but coming home at 11pm it was loud as f#%k. Super annoying on a 800 mile old van. I’ve had the rear lined so bit worried vw would just say it’s that and palm me off.

Did anyone’s noises get worse when it’s cold?
Mine has developed this horrific rattle from what I think is the passenger sliding door. I’ve tried silicon spray on the seals and checked the sidebars where tight. When I drove to work yesterday afternoon it was silent so I thought I’d cured it but coming home at 11pm it was loud as f#%k. Super annoying on a 800 mile old van. I’ve had the rear lined so bit worried vw would just say it’s that and palm me off.

Mine is worse when it’s been raining or damp, squeaks and creaks like buggery!

My T6 has been in to the dealer no less than 4 times and had tailgate adjusted, but it still squeaks/creaks!
All they do is adjust the position of the pin. On the 3rd visit to the dealer they adjusted it so tight that I either had to slam the tailgate, or leave another door open while I closed the tailgate.
My opinion is that VW just don't care, they sell you the van and the aftercare is poor.

Well... I’m glad I have found this thread.
I have a few noises, sometimes it’s something in a cupboard and sometimes it’s the pop top! but what I thought was my tail gate latch has been driving me mad!!!! I have tried silicone spray / grease which should sort it but has not.
The electrical tape is next!!!

I had a squeak somewhere in the back of the van. A friend volunteered to lie in the back to locate it. He reckoned it was the tailgate latch. It looked very dry so I put some silicone grease out of my scuba kit on it and the squeak has gone.

Try spraying some grease on to the locking pin. Worked for me.

also, try checking all the bits are not rattling round inside the jack casing, ie the wheel spanner, etc

mine now has 10mm foam tape stuck to everywhere on the jack n tools, and that has cured the issue with that rattle

tailgate, ended up going down the leccy tape round the pin route, but need doing reasonably tidy, or it wears out very quick

ref the rattles in the side door, im genuinely fooked if i can figure that one out, had inner panel off, taped / strapped everything and anything that looked like it could make a noise, checked the window surrounds, checked the rubber stopper at the back of the inner side of the door, checked the plastic bottom slider cover, and checked the top slider wheel

gave up n turned the stereo up !!!

But, have found another that is / was driving me scatty, and that was the little plastic latch inside the fuel flap not connection fully with the slot it goes into, and the stopper in the flap requiring a wiggle , and another blob of 10mm foam!

just need to sort the rattle from the slider cover on the side now and hopefully i can be squeek free ( ish) for a week or 2 before it comes back from somewhere

My tailgate rattled at low speed from the nearside corner. I had someone sitting in the back to identify where the noise was coming from...pulling on the tailgate strap or pushing the tailgate and the noise stopped.
Had ut adjysted at the dealer and ut stopped...fir a fewmonths.
Last week i noticed it was rattling driving back from work when the temperature had risen. In the morning when it was cool it was quiet. The rattling is now horrendous and its going back to the dealer agsin this week.

My tailgate rattled at low speed from the nearside corner. I had someone sitting in the back to identify where the noise was coming from...pulling on the tailgate strap or pushing the tailgate and the noise stopped.
Had ut adjysted at the dealer and ut stopped...fir a fewmonths.
Last week i noticed it was rattling driving back from work when the temperature had risen. In the morning when it was cool it was quiet. The rattling is now horrendous and its going back to the dealer agsin this week.

Hi
I had squeaking noises from tailgate for 2 years before I sprayed some white grease on the lock and the steel bar it locks onto
Been fine since
I reckon wd4o or similar would do the job as well

Glad I found this thread, my tailgate was making odd noises. Adjusted the stops and popped a bit of electrical tape around the latching bar and Bob's your uncle!

Agree this shouldnt need to be done on vans this expensive though

Hi all....just thought I’d add this we had a squeak towards the back of the van.....turned out it was the spare wheel carrier..the hinge point just under rear axle is cheaply designed...but the noise seemed like it was coming from the boot area

Please could someone describe the sound?

Recently (this week) I've got a really prominent squeak / creaking noise and occasional clunking coming from somewhere at the rear of the van, its noticeable at lowish speeds (say up to 35 mph?) which occurs when driving over rough ground or when the weight shifts from side to side e.g. going round a roundabout...

Is this likely to be the tailgate or something else?...
I had a really bad creak and knock on mine, turns out one of the bolts through the saddle clamp holding the rear ARB to the chassis had gone AWOL and the other was nearly out, the ARB end was touching the suspension arm which caused the knock when going up kerbs especially onto my drive.
Where the bolt went I've no idea and they were all tightened when I fitted the ARB, a friend went over the bolts after I'd fitted everything and he remembers them all being tight.

Has anyone with a power latching tailgate suffered with the same squeaky issue? The striker plate that comes with the power latch appears to be a different design with a plastic/rubber covering which presumably would prevent any squeaks. I'm prepared to pay for the upgrade if it solves the problem but won't be happy if I fork out for nothing.

Back