Squeaky Tailgate

Has anyone with a power latching tailgate suffered with the same squeaky issue? The striker plate that comes with the power latch appears to be a different design with a plastic/rubber covering which presumably would prevent any squeaks. I'm prepared to pay for the upgrade if it solves the problem but won't be happy if I fork out for nothing.
I'm guessing mine has the powerlatch as it is opened electrically. I have a squeak coming from my tailgate and it drives me up the wall. Goinr to try insulation tape and keep my fingers crossed.

I've also got a power tailgate that squeaks.
If I apply Gummi Pflege to the seal it stops, but the next time I drive it it's squeaking again.

I did try silicone spray on the seal first, but that seemed to make it a little better for a few miles and then it got worse.

Interesting to hear people with power latches have squeaks too. I guess if you’ve temporarily made it go away with silicone spray then you know the source of it. Mine definitely sounds like metal on metal and that it comes from the striker (could still be proved wrong). The striker on the power latch has a plastic shroud around it that isn’t on the basic version. My thoughts were that this may prevent the noise and seems to be confirmed by my sliver of card fixing my issue. Perhaps there’s two common sources of squeaks. I’m going to attempt to shroud my striker with something more akin to the power latch and go from there. Will see what the gaps are like around the hatch before and after to check that I’m not just eliminating noise by removing contact elsewhere. I’ll update on here what I find.

Last edited:
Put a couple of wraps of tape around my striker last night and it seems to have solved the problem.
No more squeaky back door. :)

The tape will wear through and the squeak will be back. I hope my more permanent fix will work

Back