Tailgate rattle/squeak

RobFlynn

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Any T6/6.1 Cali owners experiencing the annoying rattle/squeak from their tailgate latch? Seems common in the equivalent vans so looking for differences and commonalities between Cali and vans in a hope to sort mine once and for all. Parts department insist all the parts are the same across the different van/Cali/Caravelle variants but I find it hard to believe VW would get away with such an annoyance on people carriers and campers. Perhaps there is a correlation between manual latching with squeaks and power latching without squeaks? Keen to hear your experiences.

Thanks

Welcome to squake club :laugh:, maybe this can help you.

I've read that and I think every thread/post about squeaky tailgates! None seem o have a definitive solution. The bump stop solution invariable seems to be only a temporary fix. If you have a look at the striker on a power latch (Van Parts Direct VW Transporter 2010 Onwards Tailgate Striker Plate with Motor for Power Latch 7E0827511A - Genuine VW Commercial Parts) you'll see the striker has a hard plastic shroud on it which isn't present on the regular striker. I'd have thought this would prevent the catch squeaking on the striker.

I had a squeek/ rattle coming from the back and it was one of the folding seats rubbing against the polystyrene holder..maybe that helps..

It’s definitely the tailgate latch and striker. A piece of card wrapped around the striker has proved a very effective albeit temporary fix.

It’s definitely the tailgate latch and striker. A piece of card wrapped around the striker has proved a very effective albeit temporary fix.
I found that mine was from the little wedge guide things (not sure what the technical name is!) half way up each side of the tailgate. A bit of PTFE spray solves it. Putting card on the striker would effectively hold the tailgate open a fraction which could stop these or other culprits squeaking.

No squeak when I got the van until the thin layer of masking tape around the striker wore through, then it squeaked like hell and increasingly so. Card now in place is about 0.5mm thick so can’t see it making much adjustment to how the tailgate sits when shut. I’d have thought that depending on how the striker was adjusted the card would be as likely to hold the door in a fraction more as it is likely to pad it out. Good tip Re. the guide things - I’ll keep in mind for when a new squeak appears!

I had our van back in at the dealers for investigation as was convinced that the squeaking and/or creaking was suspension related, they couldn’t find anything wrong. After reading some of the forum posts I sprayed WD40 white lithium grease on the plastic guides and immediate silence, now repeat every few months and no noises since…

Hi, so my T6 has developed the dreaded tailgate power latch issue… here’s where I need some advise / previous experience… I have VW extended warranty, however my local Van Centre want me to commit to a £288 bill to find the issue, once found they will confirm with VW warranty whether it’s covered or not… being the cynic I am, my fear is they know full well it’s not covered and will look to sting me for the £288 finders fee and then the fix on top…

anyone successfully got this fixed under warranty?

PS: I have tried all of the tricks in the multiple threads to fix myself, with zero success.

Cheers

Dave

You can take it to any VW van centre, try offering to take your money elsewhere.

I had a creak or squeak from tailgate when going over bump or turning corners.
It turned out to be an adjustment needed on the small round black stoppers on the sides of the inside of the tailgate.
I could make the tailgate squeak by pushing hard on the outside of tailgate near the tail light.
If yours does that after testing, this adjustment may help. Cheers.

Hi, so my T6 has developed the dreaded tailgate power latch issue… here’s where I need some advise / previous experience… I have VW extended warranty, however my local Van Centre want me to commit to a £288 bill to find the issue, once found they will confirm with VW warranty whether it’s covered or not… being the cynic I am, my fear is they know full well it’s not covered and will look to sting me for the £288 finders fee and then the fix on top…

anyone successfully got this fixed under warranty?

PS: I have tried all of the tricks in the multiple threads to fix myself, with zero success.

Cheers

Dave
Hi i am having the same issue do you know where the fuse is for the power latch

Back