Tailgate not aligned!

Seapig

Hi all,

Bought a T6 6 months ago, been well looked after full history etc, mega happy with it until i noticed this and now can not unsee it, the tailgate isn’t centrally aligned to the van, I've taken it to a mechanic to have a look and he said there is not much they can do. Im not convinced. Has anyone seen this/experienced this or know how to fix? I could live with it however its causing the door not to seal properly and im getting day light as i look from the inside out on the bottom side resulting in unpleasant drafts in the winter.

I feel like loosening the bolts on the hinges and moving it a couple mm to the right will solve but thought id ask here first incase there is no room for adjustment on those fixing points.

Any input will be much appreciated!

IMG_4024.jpeg

IMG_4025.jpeg

IMG_4026.jpeg

Yeah defo looks like its shifted over a couple mm, always tricky to get things like that realigned
I would say it looks more of a twist clockwise than a lateral movement so maybe something has knocked the tailgate while its been opened and tweaked it slightly, a couple mm down low will equate to a tiny movement up the top but anything is possible, the only thing is you wont know of the hinges have moved or been tweaked (bent) out of original position, guess you will just have to try and see if you can get it aligned better

Only thing i would say is get a mate to help as will be very tricky on your own and make sure you dont allow the tailgate to drop as if it moves down a couple mm it will foul the bumper when shutting and paint damage could ensue

There is some adjustment in the hinge mounts according to other threads I’ve read. I’ve never done the adjustment but at least it looks parallel from the photos.
You would need to use a packing piece to prevent it dropping on the bumper and probably some protected plastic wedges to get the lateral movement.

@Seapig I feel your pain....

I had a replacement tailgate fitted after been rear ended. Its never been right since, misaligned and the daylight coming through the seal (bottom on one corner). I gave up on the insurance / body repair shop after their 3rd attempt at fixing it. I have it fitting ok(ish) now and I added a second seal on the tailgate.

As mentioned above be careful playing, the paint on bottom edge of my tailgate is trashed. I'm having the tailgate resprayed, mainly as the body shop made such a mess - another story!!

I've attached a document I found online that details how to remove / refit / align the tailgate. Hopefully this will help if you have a go.

Attachments

• Rear_Lid_Removal_&_Replacement.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 28
Thanks for your help guys, much appreciated, when i get round to doing it ill post and let you know how it goes

I had a replacement tailgate fitted after been rear ended. Its never been right since, misaligned and the daylight coming through the seal (bottom on one corner). I gave up on the insurance / body repair shop after their 3rd attempt at fixing it. I have it fitting ok(ish) now and I added a second seal on the tailgate.

As mentioned above be careful playing, the paint on bottom edge of my tailgate is trashed. I'm having the tailgate resprayed, mainly as the body shop made such a mess - another story!!

I've attached a document I found online that details how to remove / refit / align the tailgate. Hopefully this will help if you have a go.
This sounds just like mine mate, appreciate the attachment!

I feel like loosening the bolts on the hinges and moving it a couple mm to the right will solve but thought id ask here first incase there is no room for adjustment on those fixing points…
Your timing is impeccable -

Just came across your post, thanks for sharing the official info

This is my issue, hoping to rectify it?

20240106_170835.jpg

20240106_170845.jpg

Back