Squeaky Tailgate

Mojo

Photographer
T6 Guru
The van has been to West Yorkshire VW this morning to sort out the squeaking from the tailgate while driving over any surface that was driving me mad... The nice bloke from the service dept. said he has adjusted loads of T6 tailgates for the same thing...Apparently VW changed the locator design after the T5. He adjusted the locators on the tailgate and body and also adjusted the pin-lock mechanism slightly.
He also sorted out the rattling from the passenger A pillar, again he said he has done plenty of them!
Anyway, nice quiet van now!

Last edited:
What's the crack with the A pillar, mines doing my head in.
Apparently @DaveBos it's where the bottom of the trim and the end of the dash meet, he said they have a roll of sticky back VW felt 10mm wide for such instances...It worked anyway,
in fact you almost get used to noises and don't realise how noisey they were until they have gone. :)

Squeaks are annoying I've got one on my steering wheel when turning it's in the same place everytime

Squeaks are annoying I've got one on my steering wheel when turning it's in the same place everytime
I agree @andythom188 very annoying, especially when you consider what these vans cost, I would encourage anyone that has more than they consider acceptable to go back to the dealer for them to be rectified, at the end of the day the labour costs will go back to VW to pick up and this will encourage them to make a better product...

I agree @andythom188 very annoying, especially when you consider what these vans cost, I would encourage anyone that has more than they consider acceptable to go back to the dealer for them to be rectified, at the end of the day the labour costs will go back to VW to pick up and this will encourage them to make a better product...

I couldn't agree with you more I've got two and they're driving me absolutely mad the VW seem to think it doesn't matter it's a van and it will rattle but not when you pay this kind of money mine has been back twice now and it will be going back again.

I had a noise like that on my previous car, Volvo, never did get to the bottom of it 6 years of intermittenttwisting !
Sounded like a leather belt being twisted.

sorry for the simplistic suggestion but our Caravelle had a squeak which my daughter pinned down to the rear tailgate, i used a light grease on both part of the tailgate release and problem solved, bit suprised it worked!

My annoying noise is on the drivers side sliding door I keep telling the VW technicians it's just dry door seals but they seem to disagree that's why I've still got the annoying squeak I did sort it myself but obviously I need something a bit more longer lasting perhaps I should try some massage oil :cool: if anybody's got any suggestions what I can put on the door seals that would be great :thumbsup:

My annoying noise is on the drivers side sliding door I keep telling the VW technicians it's just dry door seals but they seem to disagree that's why I've still got the annoying squeak I did sort it myself but obviously I need something a bit more longer lasting perhaps I should try some massage oil :cool: if anybody's got any suggestions what I can put on the door seals that would be great :thumbsup:
Silicone spray normally works and lasts a fair while

Agreed silicone spray is what have used in the past, works well and doesnt dry out so lasts a while

The van has been to West Yorkshire VW this morning to sort out the squeaking from the tailgate while driving over any surface that was driving me mad... The nice bloke from the service dept. said he has adjusted loads of T6 tailgates for the same thing...Apparently VW changed the locator design after the T5. He adjusted the locators on the tailgate and body and also adjusted the pin-lock mechanism slightly.
He also sorted out the rattling from the passenger A pillar, again he said he has done plenty of them!
Anyway, nice quiet van now!
I have the exact same problem, but the VW dealership that I got mine from said they did what has been done to yours and its still not fixed.

sorry for the simplistic suggestion but our Caravelle had a squeak which my daughter pinned down to the rear tailgate, i used a light grease on both part of the tailgate release and problem solved, bit suprised it worked!
Had the same on the passenger door and done exactly the same as you, grease on the locking release, squeaking stopped! I think it'd because its metal on metal and there should be some sort of covering on one part?

I have the exact same problem, but the VW dealership that I got mine from said they did what has been done to yours and its still not fixed.
Funny you should say that, mines slowly started to get noisier again over time...Can't wait to get the whole van sound proofed, it will stop small rattles being transmitted round the bodywork..

Even with a full lining you still get rattles! I'm gradually working through them - silicon spray on all the locks gat rid of a few.

Best tweak last night was a piece of foam in the tailgate strap covering the metal screws - much better, pleased with that !

Please could someone describe the sound?

Recently (this week) I've got a really prominent squeak / creaking noise and occasional clunking coming from somewhere at the rear of the van, its noticeable at lowish speeds (say up to 35 mph?) which occurs when driving over rough ground or when the weight shifts from side to side e.g. going round a roundabout...

Is this likely to be the tailgate or something else?...

I'd go with some silicon spray on both parts of the tailgate lock. Then stick some foam in the tailgate strap mounting - that makes a noise over bumpy surfaces.

I make my son jump in the back and find the squeaks (child labour) his young ears are pretty good at finding the noises.

I've got the same problem with my T6 highline.
It's driving me mad I've adjusted the stops out and it reduced a great deal but I'm not happy with it at all.
A lot of cash spent on a rattle box.

This cured my rattle believe it or not!!! I’ve been putting loads of different stuff on the seals and it wasent them at all .
I’ve replaced the plastic with a couple of lengths of electrical tape around the lock pin , quite as a mouse

27AE0AEE-881B-4D94-969F-11FA61C0644D.jpeg

Back