Split-Charger or DC-DC Charger?

turtle2121

I've been educating myself with all the great information on this site and am looking to fit an alternator charging system. I've bought a Renology 30a dcdc/mppt.

Looking at @Dellmassive's ignition live thread I've noticed that on the factory 2 battery system VW themselves use a relay on engine run/rpm.

So I\m curious why we are spending £200 on dcdc chargers when a five quid relay is ok for VW?

Do I send the charger back :) ?

Hi all, not sure how to post a new thread...this is more on dcdc questions, but am hoping someone can help. I've looked at tge downloads, and am ready to install the ign cable needed dlfor a smart alternator ( 2017t6). I have a renogy 50 a mppt dcdc charger. I can't find any switched live points ( cig lighters permanently on) so am about to piggy back a fuse ( centre row). I don't have much choice as the top 2 physically won't fit so I'm left with the following options. Any advice as to which to use? These seem to be the only available switched fuses ( highlighted ones are those that are installed in my van). Hope this makes sense.

Screenshot_20221227-183825_PDF Reader~3.jpg

Screenshot_20221227-184017_PDF Reader~2.jpg

There are also empty fuse spots which appear to be live when switched. Would it be better to just put a new fuse ( attached to ign cable?) And I'd so what size fuse?

Ah I wasn't educated enough. I've just seen this. Factory Fit Split-charge System Issues

For those seeking a fast answer : The VW split charge is an inefficient and cheap solution that will shorten battery life.
Sorry to disagree, but my 2018 VW factory fitted leisure battery still working well.
Both batteries still strong and leisure battery gets fully charged., but I am in Australia , so VW might have a different set up for us.
Cheers.

Reactions: mmi
You can add a fuse way to the box if you have the access and the time to do it (I did mine while the interior was out for sound deadening and added a half dozen long tails off the box to various places inside the van)
You can use pre made tails as in this article or make your own using terminals 1.5£ 14% OFF|50 Pcs Car Splices Wire Crimp Terminal Electrical Auto Connectors Female Pins Non-insulated G126 929939-3 964286-1 - Terminals - AliExpress or 1.09£ 14% OFF|20 Pcs 6.3mm Series Automotive Car Splices Wire Terminal 926965-1 Non-insulated Female Crimp Terminals Dj6218b-e6.3b - Terminals - AliExpress depending on where in the fusebox you want to put them, the larger type is for the larger fuse.
Research terminal part codes as I have just thrown this reply together in a few minutes.

A post I made earlier

Back