DC to DC MPPT Charger - Brand Choices

doodahoops

VIP Member
Hi, As it’s Black Friday week I thought I would take advantage and buy a 30A ~ 60A DCDC / MMPT charger.

Looking at Renogy (possible the Revo), Victron, Sterling, ECO Worthy

Have done lots of research on each but still can’t see any obvious benefits of one over the other.

I already have a CTEK 20A (small form factor) in my 4X4 and want something with a bit more oompah for the camper.

Not tied to a combined charger / MPPT unit. Will be installed under a single seat. Will likely have a 250W solar panel max.

Thanks

I have Renogy 50A DC-DC MPPT and 100W panel. Fits under the seat and still working fine so far after a year.

Around these parts the 50A Renogy DC-DC paired with a Victron MPPT is a popular combination.

If you have a combined unit you save some space but you have more things in one basket should things go wrong. You also tend to compromise one of the functions a little.

Dual chargers tend to either limit the DC-DC side when the solar is active or have lower solar input limits that may preclude a high wattage panel. Check the specs carefully.

Over 30A charging cables and fuses move into more serious territory as does thermal management. Be sure you need to have those high current loads as a lower charge rate is easier to cable, manage and nicer to the battery.

Start with the basics:
What loads do you want in the van?
How often do you want to be off grid?

None of the brands you mention are terrible choices in general (though ECO Worthy are perhaps more newcomers - folks seem to have thier LiFePo batteries but don't recall anyone having a DCDC) but what's the right choice for you depends on how you want to use it.

Start with the basics:
What loads do you want in the van?
How often do you want to be off grid?

None of the brands you mention are terrible choices in general (though ECO Worthy are perhaps more newcomers - folks seem to have thier LiFePo batteries but don't recall anyone having a DCDC) but what's the right choice for you depends on how you want to use it.
The van will be primarily running a fridge, lights and charging phone / tablets. A water pump for cold water only and then a diesel heater if needed in winter. I will have a 120Ah AGM battery max.

I doubt we will be stationary off grid for more than a couple of days at a time. It’s Park4nighting round Europe in between campsites and shore power. And the odd festival. The van has run lock installed so if I need to use the engine as a generator (180A or 200A alternator installed) to top up solar its really not a problem…

Back