4Motion - Dual Purpose Vehicle?

Samro

VIP Member
T6 Legend
I know that this has been covered before on this forum, but I remain confused on speed restrictions that apply to 4Motion vans.

From reading previous posts, it is clear that there is agreement that if a vehicle falls into the scope of "Dual Purpose" then the legal speed that it may drive increases from 50 - 60 MPH. (On A roads where the national speed limit applies.) It has not ever been satisfactorily concluded whether or not a VW transporter (Kombi or converted 4Motion Panel Van) fall into the "Dual purpose" category.

I found the The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 and as far as I can see any SWB 4Motion panel van is on the edge of being classed as "Dual Purpose".

The legislation states:
a vehicle constructed or adapted for the carriage both of passengers and of goods or burden of any description, being a vehicle of which the unladen weight does not exceed 2040 kg

The sticking point is the "Unladen weight" and the bit that states carriage of "both passengers and of goods" - it doesn't state how many passengers. IE - Does a regular 4Motion panel van fall into the scope as it can carry passengers and goods... just not many passengers!

So I think that to be safe to say that all 4Motion Kombi's and converted vans fall into the scope of this legislation if they have a unladen weight of less than 2040kg.

The legislation (linked to above) defines unladen vehicle weight as:
the weight of a vehicle or trailer inclusive of the body and all parts (the heavier being taken where alternative bodies or parts are used) which are necessary to or ordinarily used with the vehicle or trailer when working on a road, but exclusive of the weight of water, fuel or accumulators used for the purpose of the supply of power for the propulsion of the vehicle or, as the case may be, of any vehicle by which the trailer is drawn, and of loose tools and loose equipment.

VW publish the "Vehicle and driver weight" of a SWB 6.1, 4Motion panel van as 2121kg. The published vehicle and driver weight of 2121 kg includes the driver - I have no idea how that works? How heavy is a driver? (I weigh 97 kg and so if I continue to avoid salad and carry some scales around will this satisfy the nice police man?) :p

Can anyone vouch for the accuracy of the kerb weight published by ultimate specs? They state a kerb weight for a 4Motion 199 SWB of 2036kg.

The legislation (linked to above) defines kerbside weight as:
The weight of a vehicle when it carries—
(a) in the case of a motor vehicle,
(i) no person; and
(ii)
a full supply of fuel in its tank, an adequate supply of other liquids incidental to its propulsion and no load other than the loose tools and equipment with which it is normally equipped;

I think that I am correct is saying that if the Kerbside weight of 2036kg is correct, then the unladen weight will be 2036kg, less the weight of the fuel/AdBlue potentially making all 4Motion vans a "Dual Purpose Vehicle" and legal to drive within the speed limits of a standard car? It remains ambiguous whether this would apply irrespective of whether or not rear seats and windows are fitted.

Any thoughts?

I think the consensus is that most 4Motions are too heavy to qualify as dual purpose vehicles.

As stated above it is all in there.
I've read through the "Van Speed Limit?" discussion and not been able to establish a definitive answer on the unladen weights.

On the "Van Speed Limit?" discussion there's load of talk about Mass In Service, but not unladen weight. There is also loads of talk about classification of the vehicle from the V5 and my understanding is that for 4 motion owners the whole subject hinges on the weight of the vehicle.

There must be official published unladen weights for the variants of 4Motion vans? I have a SWB 199 4Motion T32 panel van arriving shortly (So I am told!) and am completely green about all of this stuff.

DaveD is right in that the general consensus is that most 4motions are too heavy to qualify as dual purpose" but I am dying to know the unladen weight of this new van.... It is going to be very close to the 2040kg figure.

All I really want to know is what VW include in their vehicle weight. Do they include fuel and how heavy to they assume a driver to be? With this info I can take a view on if I drive it within van or car speed limits.

OK, I can not answer you specifically because mine is an Executive 4Motion and is classed as a Car so those rules apply to mine. Someone here will be able to answer your specific question but they are most likely at work or sleeping off last nights hangover over on the beer thread!:cool::laugh:.

If I see your post pushed too far down when the other real experts arrive, I am only a phony expert an apprentice in all things T6 I shall bring it back to the top by asking a question. Sometimes The experts come on late and if there has been lots of posts then things that may have been answered get lost if you know what I mean. So you may have little wait, possibly.

Last edited:
DaveD is right in that the general consensus is that most 4motions are too heavy to qualify as dual purpose" but I am dying to know the unladen weight of this new van.... It is going to be very close to the 2040kg figure.

All I really want to know is what VW include in their vehicle weight. Do they include fuel and how heavy to they assume a driver to be? With this info I can take a view on if I drive it within van or car speed limits.

Head to a weigh station then, that would solve the issue, and if it's under 2040 you'll have a print out as evidence too

My local weigh station charges £15, I had my bus weighed in the summer, fully loaded with camping gear but without anybody onboard it was 2780kg’s.

I keep meaning to go back and check it fully unladen.

(T32, LWB, 4-Motion with a HiLo roof)

The weigh bridge suggestion is a very good plan. (I'd do this as soon as i get it, as it will put on a small amount of weight after insulating, carpet lining, etc.)

I had a look at this using the VW Configurator tool and the "weight of the van and driver" does alter as options are added/taken away. According to VW configurator my new 4Motion van will weigh 2108 kg including the driver.

Before I rush off to the weigh bridge on arrival of my new van, I still don't know how much VW assume a driver to weigh, or if the legislation dictates that the driver is supposed to be included to obtain the "unladen weight" figure? As mentioned above, the legislation states the weight of a vehicle or trailer inclusive of the body and all parts - Does this include me? Can anyone shed any light on this?

A question for "Insert Coin" - Were you require to be in the van when they weighed it at 2780kg? Or was this the weight without people?

If unladen weight is supposed to include the driver, I'm stuck at 50 MPH!

If the VW configurator is reasonably accurate, it is close enough to attempt £15 on a weigh bridge. It would be worth the effort to get a bonafide weight certificate.

I had no idea that this wasn't an expensive thing to do. Thanks guys.

The weight of new vehicle is theoretically as below:

Weights.JPG

I believe it’s no driver

you might also want to take the rear seats out!

Edit: ah, it’s a panel van!

As DaveD stated, most of the 4Motion duel purpose vehicles are over the weight. It may be that a vehicle may be changed in such a way to take it under the maximum weight but that may have to be done in a legal recognised way. What can be taken off or lightened in some way. Then does it become not legal as soon as it is over or does one just attain the weight and have it re-registered. Is it a case of once registered at a certain weight that is it for ever?
Just a start

What can be lightened.
Exhaust Replace with SS
Wheels light weight
change battery to lithium?
Carbon Fibre Bonnet
Carbon Fibre Rear door or doors
Seat Box Carbon Fibre
Front Seats, sports buckets
Rear Seats change to lighter version or strip and lighten
Fill Vehicle with Helium Bags :p
Fill Tyres with Helium:laugh:

What can be removed.
Spare wheel
Tools
Most of the fuel
Most of screen wash
Radio

As DaveD stated, most of the 4Motion duel purpose vehicles are over the weight. It may be that a vehicle may be changed in such a way to take it under the maximum weight but that may have to be done in a legal recognised way. What can be taken off or lightened in some way. Then does it become not legal as soon as it is over or does one just attain the weight and have it re-registered. Is it a case of once registered at a certain weight that is it for ever?
Just a start

What can be lightened.
Exhaust Replace with SS
Wheels light weight
change battery to lithium?
Carbon Fibre Bonnet
Carbon Fibre Rear door or doors
Seat Box Carbon Fibre
Front Seats, sports buckets
Rear Seats change to lighter version or strip and lighten
Fill Vehicle with Helium Bags :p
Fill Tyres with Helium:laugh:

What can be removed.
Spare wheel
Tools
Most of the fuel
Most of screen wash
Radio
I get that, but it seems that I can do this legally and legitimately.
According to the VW configuration, the build weight of my van will be 2108 kg, which includes the driver. I have no idea how heavy VW think the driver should be, but if we assume a really light 75kg then I’m left with a weight of 2033, so it should be fine if the unladen weight excludes driver.

Question is:
Is unladen weight taken excluding driver?

(“Village” indicated he thinks it’s taken excluding driver, but would be good to confirm with anyone that Is 100% sure.)

I get that, but it seems that I can do this legally and legitimately.
According to the VW configuration, the build weight of my van will be 2108 kg, which includes the driver. I have no idea how heavy VW think the driver should be, but if we assume a really light 75kg then I’m left with a weight of 2033, so it should be fine if the unladen weight excludes driver.

Question is:
Is unladen weight taken excluding driver?

(“Village” indicated he thinks it’s taken excluding driver, but would be good to confirm with anyone that Is 100% sure.)
I have seen a figure on this forum somewhere for a driver. I would in the meantime guess as you have 75KG. That will be an EU standard probably nothing to do with VW. You could look up the EU statement on this.

Man..... These EU van drivers are light eh?
Maybe VW will increase this after a couple of Lockdowns. You can’t shut people away for very long and expect them to be 75kg!

The driver is assumed to be 75kg, it’s written on the spec sheet I think, the mass in service includes a 75kg driver and 75% fuel capacity so you can take of around 130kg from the vw spec weight depending on tank size (85% of the fuel volume in ltr is the weight of that volume of fuel)

go to gov.uk and search mass is service.

The driver is assumed to be 75kg, it’s written on the spec sheet I think, the mass in service includes a 75kg driver and 75% fuel capacity so you can take of around 130kg from the vw spec weight depending on tank size (85% of the fuel volume in ltr is the weight of that volume of fuel)

go to gov.uk and search mass is service.
Excellent. Thank you. This is great news.

Edit to my earlier post, the vw brochure states their unladen weights include 75kg for driver and 90% fuel whereas uk gov states it does not contain fuel or driver

243F7DD2-78E7-4585-A849-B00533D9C526.png0918ADC7-E570-4264-AE1B-40EC27086941.png

Edit to my earlier post, the vw brochure states their unladen weights include 75kg for driver and 90% fuel whereas uk gov states it does not contain fuel or driver

View attachment 92111View attachment 92112
Darn it! It was clear in my mind to that it was possible to get the unladen weight to under 2040kg!

You're correct in that the government website doesn't state no driver, but only states "not carrying passengers".

So according to VW my van will be 2108kg (with an anorexic midget and 63 litres of diesel and this is with the no spare wheel option).

With the fuel removed, it would still weigh 2055kg, so I guess that is the end of it.........T6.1 Highline T32 SWB 199 4Motion cannot be classed as "Dual Purpose" no matter how configured. :(

The end!

Darn it! It was clear in my mind to that it was possible to get the unladen weight to under 2040kg!

You're correct in that the government website doesn't state no driver, but only states "not carrying passengers".

So according to VW my van will be 2108kg (with an anorexic midget and 63 litres of diesel and this is with the no spare wheel option).

With the fuel removed, it would still weigh 2055kg, so I guess that is the end of it.........T6.1 Highline T32 SWB 199 4Motion cannot be classed as "Dual Purpose" no matter how configured. :(

The end!
Just to clarify, is your van we are talking about a Kombi, with rear seats or is it a panel van?
If it is a panel van with no rear seats then the discussion ends there as to be a Dual Purpose vehicle it has to have fixed rear seats, there are also stipulations about how big the sizes are but off the top of my head I cant remember.

Edit on finding the information below as long as it is 4 wheel drive it seems it doesn't need rear seats but must be below the magic 2040kg.

Just looked up the conditions that have to be met to be classed as a DPV:

dual-purpose vehiclea vehicle constructed or adapted for the carriage both of passengers and of goods or burden of any description, being a vehicle of which the unladen weight does not exceed 2040 kg, and which either—
(i)
is so constructed or adapted that the driving power of the engine is, or by the appropriate use of the controls of the vehicle can be, transmitted to all the wheels of the vehicle; or
(ii)
satisfies the following conditions as to construction, namely—
(a)
the vehicle must be permanently fitted with a rigid roof, with or without a sliding panel;
(b)
the area of the vehicle to the rear of the driver's seat must—
(i)
be permanently fitted with at least one row of transverse seats (fixed or folding) for two or more passengers and those seats must be properly sprung or cushioned and provided with upholstered back-rests, attached either to the seats or to a side or the floor of the vehicle; and
(ii)
be lit on each side and at the rear by a window or windows of glass or other transparent material having an area or aggregate area of not less than 1850 square centimetres on each side and not less than 770 square centimetres at the rear; and
(c)
the distance between the rearmost part of the steering wheel and the back-rests of the row of transverse seats satisfying the requirements specified in head (i) of sub-paragraph (b) (or, if there is more than one such row of seats, the distance between the rearmost part of the steering wheel and the back-rests of the rearmost such row) must, when the seats are ready for use, be not less than one-third of the distance between the rearmost part of the steering wheel and the rearmost part of the floor of the vehicle.

This may sound daft...but the weight limit is 2040kg as DPV....

so how does a Rolls Royce Cullinan with kerb weight 2660kg get away with it if you apply the same rules :rolleyes:

Back