Spare wheel 255/45/18

Hi,

Just wondering if the T5 / T6 can accommodate a 255 45 18 OEM alloy, or does it have yo be the pressed steel?

Thanks

Apparently there are two settings for the cradle. I have a steel wheel but a recent post was asking about this thing and someone mentioned being able to lower the cradle at the rear, towards the front of the vehicle to accommodate a larger wheel.

I have the standard steel as the spare on my MY21 Caravelle - when I needed it after the pothole incident it was fine but very rusty on the surface.

I wouldn't put anything that cost decent money on there, it's purely to get you on the road so for me standard steel and a decent but not premium tyre. I'd also give the outer surface (that will face the road so you can access the valve to check tyre pressure) a good preemptive coat of something - I used silver hammerite.

Apparently there are two settings for the cradle. I have a steel wheel but a recent post was asking about this thing and someone mentioned being able to lower the cradle at the rear, towards the front of the vehicle to accommodate a larger wheel.
This is true -.you can pull out a pin thing in the carrier hinge, and move it to a different hole. Very easy to do.

Hi,

Just wondering if the T5 / T6 can accommodate a 255 45 18 OEM alloy, or does it have yo be the pressed steel?

Thanks
My mechanic did a rough measure of the space under the spare wheel bracket and told me 28.5" x 8", however I knew you could pull the pin (12) and get a bit more space.

I bought a tyre for my 17" alloy spare - 225/65 R17 (28.5" x 8.9") and it just fits.

This is a very close match for the 20" wheels I have on the campervan.
1000019439.png

Your tyre size might be a bit too wide. - use the link below - it is 10" wide.

Look for a 16" wheel maybe and get a tyre to match your 18" wheel (like a space saver wheel)

1000019440.png

Suppose it would only end up ruined by road grot anyway TBH?
There's no reason why the spare can't be put in a suitable bag.

Look for a 16" wheel maybe and get a tyre to match your 18" wheel (like a space saver wheel)
Just be careful of potential clearance issues if you have the larger 340mm front brakes. You could obviously swap a front and rear wheel over if you had to fix a front puncture. However, changing a wheel in an emergency is never likely to be in a place where you'd want to spend too much time faffing.

There's no reason why the spare can't be put in a suitable bag.
I did think about that but decided not to for two reasons

Water and crap gets in everywhere anyway, so creating a damp enclosed space is likely to make it worse - at least in the open it drains.

It makes getting to the valve much harder meaning when you need it it's not ready to go. Not so bad if it's just a bit under pressure and you have a pump, but if it's so flat it's not well on the rim.

For the record I'm on 18" wheels but have a standard 17" steel and it was fine for the limited miles until I sorted the blown tyre. VW Assist just advised to treat it like a space saver and limit the miles and keep the speed down. I wouldn't do that on a 4Motion though as AWD systems can have stress with uneven wheel sizes.

If you end up with a spare matching alloy because it's chipped or something so it's essentially free I can get using it as a spare if you've not got one. If you're sourcing a new wheel because you don't have one at all I'm not sure why you'd buy a matching alloy and then hang it under the van open to theft, the elements and road debris and probably never have to get it out anyway.

Water and crap gets in everywhere anyway, so creating a damp enclosed space is likely to make it worse - at least in the open it drains.

It makes getting to the valve much harder meaning when you need it it's not ready to go. Not so bad if it's just a bit under pressure and you have a pump, but if it's so flat it's not well on the rim.
I did say a suitable bag but cover would be more appropriate. Something to keep the worst off but still allow ventilation.

Last edited:
Problem is with any container the air inside gets warm in the day and then cold at night. This generally means that air will push out during the day and then suck in damp warm air overnight that then condenses inside the container.

This is what kills most electronics in even apparently watertight containers and enclosures. The air action pumps in damp air and the water then has nowhere to go. It's also why almost all car electrics are potted.

There is so much duplication on this site. Search, read and digest..
if you want to invest in an 18” spare wheel (Steel or alloy) then it’s a 235/50/18 tyre as factory fitted. Drop the front of the carriers to the lower setting and fit spacer to the read securing bolts. Security ones if you want to keep it safe. Securing my spare wheel
Does it fit / work? Yes, done it.

Back