Spare wheel carrier: Maximum spare wheel size?

nickg77

T6 Pro
Folks,

I have a 2018 t6 highline originally factory built on 16” rims.

I have upgraded the wheels to 20” and also the front discs and callipers to 340mm.I’ve been told the 16” spare will not fit now.

question does anyone know if the spare wheel carrier will accept a 17” rim shod with with a 215/60 or 220/55 tyre ?

Spare wheel carrier will accept a larger spare.

Where did you get you new spare from? I've 20" wheels and a 16" spare but I've just upgraded to 340mm discs so I need a larger spare.

I got a 235/60/17 for my spare for the same reasons as you (to match the 20", specifically 265/40/20), and it fits in the spare wheel carrier on its larger setting

do you need different wheel bolts for a steel wheel? I know my trailer has alloy wheels but different shorter bolts for the steel spare.

Just fitted Calibre Exile-R polished black alloys: 255/45/18s. Running with the factory standard spare: 205/65/16. Any comments on acceptable tolerance in wheel diameter? I notice lots of people run with smaller spares to alloys (perhaps due to space). The variance between the 18s and the spare is about 14mm. Could change tyre to 215/65 on the 16” steel to get it to within 1mm but is it worth it? Thoughts welcome. Appreciate this is not a new topic on here!! Cheers.

Just fitted Calibre Exile-R polished black alloys: 255/45/18s. Running with the factory standard spare: 205/65/16. Any comments on acceptable tolerance in wheel diameter? I notice lots of people run with smaller spares to alloys (perhaps due to space). The variance between the 18s and the spare is about 14mm. Could change tyre to 215/65 on the 16” steel to get it to within 1mm but is it worth it? Thoughts welcome. Appreciate this is not a new topic on here!! Cheers.
Depends if yours is 2wd or a 4mo. If 2wd, then no real need as you just need to make sure you swap a back to the front if you flat on the front, and the spare goes on the rear. That way you can maintain same rolling radius on the driving wheels regardless of what radius the spare is. But if it's a 4mo then i think 14mm difference is pretty borderline for the haldex system, and i would want to get it closer to the same rolling radius

Will a Desert Dueller 235 / 65 / 17 fit in the wheel carrier? Any advice would be appreciated.

I am looking to put some 255/55/18 BFG AT KO2's on my T6.1 4 Motion when it arrives and was wondering if this size of tyre will fit in the under slung spare wheel well/bracket without modification or spending a lot on a suitable replacement bracket. I need to carry the exact same rolling radius spare with it being a 4Mo. Thanks in advance !!

might need a modification to ensure you have same rolling circumference. However, I’m not sure if you need to ensure equal rolling for “limp home” driving, but do need it if you’re towing. Others who know better will be along soon, I hope!

I am looking to put some 255/55/18 BFG AT KO2's on my T6.1 4 Motion when it arrives and was wondering if this size of tyre will fit in the under slung spare wheel well/bracket without modification or spending a lot on a suitable replacement bracket. I need to carry the exact same rolling radius spare with it being a 4Mo. Thanks in advance !!
That will be really tight under there, if it will even fit . The width will squeeze…..just, it’s the diameter - it’s 40mm bigger across the circumstance than a 275/35/20 - which we do a modified bracket for, and is a real squeeze.

If you went for 235-55-18 that would work. This so the size we use for the lowered swamper look and is available for all weight ratings.

That will be really tight under there, if it will even fit . The width will squeeze…..just, it’s the diameter - it’s 40mm bigger across the circumstance than a 275/35/20 - which we do a modified bracket for, and is a real squeeze.

If you went for 235-55-18 that would work. This so the size we use for the lowered swamper look and is available for all weight ratings.
Thanks for the info. It is much appreciated. Back to the drawing board??

Hello, interesting thread, thanks. Needing a 103 load rating for a our campervan conversion LWB 4-motion T6, we seemed to have only one available option in Aust, BFG 225/65R17 (called a KO2) and they have been just great. You can work out the nominal diameter from those specs to compare with your 18 inch preference i guess.
For info - when brand new, the BFG 225/65R17 would ONLY fit in the underbody well when totally deflated. And it needed a bit of force, like a jack and strong repair-men. However after 15000km and a wheel rotation, one of these fitted in the spare well OK with 36psi pressure.
These might be a tyre good enough for your purposes. I have just changed them after 46000km but it has been a very rough life, lots of high-speed bitumen and possibly 50% gravel roads. I staked one side-wall on a nasty "track" (but I would blame myself and not the tyre).

An aftermarket swinging towbar carrier for a 6th tyre from Mirack in Perth, has been wonderful. Needed a custom mod to cope with the low rear-hatch edge of the T6, no extra charge.
Regards, Tim.

Hello, interesting thread, thanks. Needing a 103 load rating for a our campervan conversion LWB 4-motion T6, we seemed to have only one available option in Aust, BFG 225/65R17 (called a KO2) and they have been just great. You can work out the nominal diameter from those specs to compare with your 18 inch preference i guess.
For info - when brand new, the BFG 225/65R17 would ONLY fit in the underbody well when totally deflated. And it needed a bit of force, like a jack and strong repair-men. However after 15000km and a wheel rotation, one of these fitted in the spare well OK with 36psi pressure.
These might be a tyre good enough for your purposes. I have just changed them after 46000km but it has been a very rough life, lots of high-speed bitumen and possibly 50% gravel roads. I staked one side-wall on a nasty "track" (but I would blame myself and not the tyre).

An aftermarket swinging towbar carrier for a 6th tyre from Mirack in Perth, has been wonderful. Needed a custom mod to cope with the low rear-hatch edge of the T6, no extra charge.
Regards, Tim.
Thanks for the info Tim !! That is exactly what I need to know.

2020 plate T6.1 originally with 16" wheels, I changed to 17" swampers. I have just fitted a 235/55/17 steel wheel on my spare wheel carrier. Firstly I had to drop the front end of the carrier to it's lowest setting. I then found that the original retaining bolts were not long enough to reach the threaded bracket and allow me to bolt up the carrier brace. I got a longer bolt (90mm) that came with a spare wheel security kit, fitted it and tightened it onto the carrier brace. I then found that the carrier brace was compressing the side wall of the spare tyre causing it to depress inwards. If I backed the bolt off so as not to depress the tyre wall the bolt was too loose and would vibrate and fall out eventually. I now need to sort some steel tube spacers, cut to the correct length so as to put them onto the security bolt and tighten the bolt up fully, nipping the spacers tight, but not compressing the tyre wall. Ideally I should chop and refabricate the end of the carrier brace at the bolt holes end to make it deeper to accept the bigger tyre, but I will see how get on doing it with spacers first. I hope this makes sense and saves someone a struggle.

2020 plate T6.1 originally with 16" wheels, I changed to 17" swampers. I have just fitted a 235/55/17 steel wheel on my spare wheel carrier. Firstly I had to drop the front end of the carrier to it's lowest setting. I then found that the original retaining bolts were not long enough to reach the threaded bracket and allow me to bolt up the carrier brace. I got a longer bolt (90mm) that came with a spare wheel security kit, fitted it and tightened it onto the carrier brace. I then found that the carrier brace was compressing the side wall of the spare tyre causing it to depress inwards. If I backed the bolt off so as not to depress the tyre wall the bolt was too loose and would vibrate and fall out eventually. I now need to sort some steel tube spacers, cut to the correct length so as to put them onto the security bolt and tighten the bolt up fully, nipping the spacers tight, but not compressing the tyre wall. Ideally I should chop and refabricate the end of the carrier brace at the bolt holes end to make it deeper to accept the bigger tyre, but I will see how get on doing it with spacers first. I hope this makes sense and saves someone a struggle.
Following on - I cut 2 short lengths of SS pipe at 450mm long. Lowered the carrier and located the anti-theft device onto the carrier and around the SS pipe. Greased the threads of both bolts then inserted the 90mm security bolt through the carrier, then through the ant-theft device, then through the SS pipe and engaged it in the threads on the carrier bracket. Once the 90mm bolt had gone into place a short way I put the second shorter bolt through the carrier, then through the SS pipe and entered it into the threads on the carrier bracket. I tightened each bolt evenly until each respective section of SS pipe was clamped and sandwiched tight between the carrier and the carrier bracket at the same time shrouding and protecting the exposed length of the 2 threaded carrier bolts. The carrier is now bolted up tight to the carrier bracket without compressing the side walls of the 17" spare tyre. I will in due course change the shorter bolt for another 90mm bolt which will make life easier when accessing the spare.

20220507_174335(0).jpg

20220507_174418.jpg

20220507_174400.jpg

20220507_174225.jpg

20220507_174335.jpg

Back