Spare Wheel - do I need to change it from 16” if I’ve gone bigger?

id say your probably doing more than some would by getting the rolling radius matched.

There must be plenty of people running with 19" wheels, so what do they use as a spare...?

Seems like an incorrect sized 17" OEM or a modified carrier with another 19" alloy...?

This thread is quite timely for me also.

I travelled all across France last year with my van, literally, packed to the gunnels.

If I'd of had to change a wheel for the spare, I would have made sure it went on the rear axle, (swap rear to front first if front puncture), as this wouldn't cause any problems due the spare being much smaller than the 19,s I have fitted.

I realise now, that there was no way the punctured 19" wheel and tyre would have fitted back in the spare wheel carrier, and I physically could not have squeezed it inside the van.

I now have 2 options if I get a puncture this year. (if there is any European travelling this year).

1. Leave enough space inside the van to take a punctured of 19" wheel. (I tried to see if it would go in the spare wheel space, but with 265/45r19 tyres, the circumference is too big).

2. Buy a set of roof cross bars which take up minimal space inside the van, (could even fit them to roof rails both at the rear), and then strap the punctured 19" wheel to them untill it can be repaired.

What do others consider in this situation?.

I have asked my convertor what he suggests and if he has a solution for this issue.... I'll report back when i get a reply.

It seems that the carrier can be modified with a bit of metal work to accomodate the correct size spare..

If you are near to Oli at Bognor Motors then drop him a line, as he has a solution.

Just for information having done this over the last couple of days a 215/65 tyre fitted to the spare oem 17" steel does actually fit into the existing carrier.

The hinged side of the carrier has two positions, to take the 215/65 it needs to be moved down a slot, this is easy enough by pulling the pin out and re-positioning the carrier hinge side then re-insert the pin. This then allows the carrier to take the wider profile tyre.

So I feel a little bit better now matching my rolling radius of my spare to my main 19" wheels. Probably more so being a 4M.

Randomly discovered this thread. I have a spare wheel (and it is still there haha).

What was a shock was the under elements of the van seemed to have more rust (or rust coloured) for a van that was new in March 2019 and less than 1K miles on it (hardly any when I bought it).

I don't look under cars much so it may well be normal. I guess I just expected less ranges of times but I have literally nothing to compare it to.

And yes, the van is definite the age it is says it is

Hi I have the wrong spare it’s brand new as fas as I can see with un used tread .. but wrong size for me .
This ones a 205/65R16
And I’m looking for a 215/60R17.

I don't like not having a spare wheel to match my 19" alloys (with 255/45/19 tyres). I'm thinking of replacing the standard spare tyre with a 215/65/17 which has the same overall diameter as the 19s. Has anyone done this and will this wheel / tyre combination fit in to the spare holder ok?

Yes, I've done this... the spare wheel holder has a lower position which you will need to pull the pin and drop it down to.. then the new spare on the 17" will fit...

Consider upgrading the jack as well as its pretty useless as I only found out after a blow out.. :thumbsup:

Great, thanks for the reply.

Any recommendations for the jack? I have a trolley jack in the garage but don't fancy dragging that around with me!

Bargain. More kit to buy ....

First I need to get my tape measure out and see if that will fit under the van. Is your van dropped ?

Hi everyone! I’ve found someone selling 5 x 18” Amarok wheels and I was wondering if the 5th wheel could serve as a spare and could fit in the T6.1 T30 (I’ve yet to receive my van, my order is arriving estimated Feb).

The specs I can gather are the following:

Wheels I’m planning to install:
18/7.5 45mm offset

Tyre:
255/45/18

The guy is selling quite cheap and I’m thinking of buying the set in advance just because it’s a good deal and rare to find a set of 5

Will the 5th wheel and tyre fit in the spare compartment? Thanks!

Back