Spare Wheel - do I need to change it from 16” if I’ve gone bigger?

The 20" rolling circumference is much greater than the 16". Thats my concern.

20" 275.40.20 rolling dia 728mm
16" 205.65.16 rolling dia 673mm

Is your van a 4motion? If not the spare you have should work. look at the size of a space saver on a Golf for instance compared to the OEM wheels. Running it temporarily in emergency shouldn’t do any harm.

Mine isn't a 4motion. I wish it was.

I tow my cars on a trailer long distances and if I get a flat it would be a problem if the rolling radius isn't close. I would also like to fit bigger brakes so the 16" spare has to go.

I currently have 255/45/19 tyres fitted - Load rated 104 - for T32

My spare is the wrong size and i need to change it to 215/65/17 to get the closest rolling radius.

Does anyone know if this size will fit in the existing spare wheel space without any modification..?

Also does the spare wheel need to be T32 load rated for MOT purposes..?

Obviously if it ever got fitted it would only be to limp to a garage to get the primary tyre repaired/ replaced... and the van will never be at its full load carrying capacity.

Advice appreciated

I’m no expert but I would have thought that unless you have a 4motion the load rating would be more important than the radius. When it comes to MOTs I don’t think they would know or look as long as the tread is ok, this is the first vehicle I’ve had for a while that’s actually had a spare. All my recent cars have had repair kits (which I’ve had to replace as they have a BBE date!) but never used.

I don’t think it’s a legal requirement that the spare is checked so you cannot fail if you have a bad or indeed no spare at all.

As above I’m not an expert so worth googling to verify.

Thanks, Yes forgot to mention it is a 4Mo, and the rolling radius is the main thing which at 215/65/17 will be fine.... within 2mm of the 255/45/19

Load rating for the spare is a concern, but if it doesn't apply for MOT purposes then I'm happy to have a slightly lower rated tyre under there..

So will the 215/65/17 fit in the spare wheel space without modification..?

I don’t know the technical answer, but from memory of my traffic police days, a spare wheel is still being used, even if not fitted. So it must comply with regulations requiring it to be fit for purpose ( ie the right loading as if it was on the hub)m
But there is no legal requirement to have a spare wheel..

From the gov website

2.12 Tyres and wheels
These will be inspected to check for:

• condition
  • security
  • tyre size and type
  • tread depth
Spare wheels and tyres are not inspected.

Vehicles first used on or after 1 January 2012 will be checked to make sure the tyre pressure monitoring system (TPMS) MIL is working.

@Oldrat, I thought that would be the answer too, if you have it it has to be legit but looking at the answers from a google search it seems it’s not part of the MOT at all. Anyone wanna buy a spare?:rofl:

It depends on what legislation you are looking at..
A) MOT- there is no requirement to have a spare and the spare is not part of the test.

B) If you read the relevant tyre specific regs then you’ll note that for a tyre to comply with the 8 types of possible defects, it needs to be on
a road’” (Reg 27 construction and use regs) this is not the case with a spare.

C) However there is another piece of legislation (Sec 22 RTA) that states that a vehicle must be in a fit condition for use on a road- is its condition, it’s position and it’s circumstances .
this is a catch all offence which covers a trailer door blowing open and hitting a passing car to a car with a rusty edge on the wing by the head lamp- the sharp edges a danger to pedestrians in a minor accident. And anything non specifically covered by legislation.

In the Met, used to (sucessfullly) prosecute drivers for using a detective spare tyre.
It’s sole purpose was to be a spare to be used in case of an event, hence it had a purpose and therefore a use.

It is part of the vehicle, bolted on from new in its own space and has an OEM carrier for it.

Thanks, Yes forgot to mention it is a 4Mo, and the rolling radius is the main thing which at 215/65/17 will be fine.... within 2mm of the 255/45/19

Load rating for the spare is a concern, but if it doesn't apply for MOT purposes then I'm happy to have a slightly lower rated tyre under there..

So will the 215/65/17 fit in the spare wheel space without modification..?
Sorry, I can’t answer this, been reading a few threads and it seems wide wheels could be an issue. But I guess you know all this already as I saw you either started the threads or replied to them. I guess one of the other guys on those would know whether the overall size could be an issue. I did get a locking kit from Pauly though and there was a long bolt option for large wheels (width I guess though so again no help! :speechless:)

If I were you I’d fit the same size spare. We do a modification to the spare wheel carrier to carry up to a 20” where necessary on a 4Motion.

Many cars come out of the factory with a different sized 'space saver' rim diameter than what is fitted to the car (for example, 17" alloys, 16" space saver, but with same rolling radius) , so i would assume the same rules apply?

if you present your car for an MOT with the 'different size' spare fitted it will fail...but if your using it just to get the old tyre repaired/replaced id say your probably doing more than some would by getting the rolling radius matched.

If I were you I’d fit the same size spare. We do a modification to the spare wheel carrier to carry up to a 20” where necessary on a 4Motion.

Hi Oli

I had considered this but couldn't get a 19" Steel Wheel as a spare..
I was swayed to go with a 17" wheel with the correct tyre size (215/65) to match the rolling radius of my main 19" wheels.

Back