Solar questions

Sim73

VIP Member
T6 Pro
I have bought two renology 175w panels to charge a 12v leisure battery.

I have a few newbie questions. Am I best to wire these in parallel and if so would the best option be the Victron 100/30? Do I need to fuse between this and the battery?

Do I need to leave an air gap between the van and the panels? The panels say that you can stick them straight down (which I would prefer), but I have read that this could compromise the panels.

Anything else I need to consider?

Thanks in advance as always!

Nice..

2*175w .. that's gonna take up some roof space.

Or you planning a mobile deployment too?

You could fit a fuse in the feed to be the solar controller, but it's not necessary. You need to be able to isolate the panels but the MC4 is normally suitable for that.

Series or parrellel .... Either or.... Depends on the Amps of the panel and size of your cable. The Victron 100/30 will acodate both options.

Every battery connection needs fusing.

Follow the manufacturer guidelines, if they stay stick then that's fine..... Flexible panel s normally get stuck to the roof. Rigid panels normally use brackets.

If you stick.... Get some vinyl wrap fitted, then stick to that.

fyi -

just looked up a Renogy 175w

the spec shows:

ISC@ 9.5A
VOC@ 23.9v

so parallel is > (9.5A+9.5A = 19A) (w=v*a) 23.9v 19A*23.9v = 454.1w

so series is > (23.9v + 23.9v = 47.8v) (w=v*a) 47.8v 9.5A*47.8v = 454.1w

++++++++++++++

1649830049355.png

DESCRIPTION​

Meet the Renogy 175W Flexible Solar Panel - the culmination of cutting-edge technology and precision. This ultra-lightweight panel can achieve up to an incredible 248-degree arc of flexibility thanks to advanced solar cell technology and lamination techniques. At 6.2 pounds, this panel weighs 70% less than its standard counterpart and is less than 5% as thick. This makes it easy to transport, install, and affixed to uneven surfaces. It's precisely this kind of adaptability that makes the Renogy 175W Flexible Solar Panel the ideal choice for airstreams, campers, and boats.

Mounting Recommendation: Modules must be mounted using silicone structural adhesive on the backside of the panel, grommets are only to be used for non-mobile applications. For detailed installation methods, please consult a local contractor for guidance.

Note: No other accessories are equipped with the single panel. Please email us or refer directly to product listings if you want to know more information about accessories.

If you have any questions regarding this product, please submit a case.

KEY FEATURES​

Extremely Flexible
  • With a flex range of up to 248 degrees, this panel is capable of meeting a wide range of applications where standard panels can be inconvenient to mount, such as on the curved roof of an airstream
Ultra Lightweight
  • Thanks to advanced polymer materials, this product weighs 70% less than conventional solar panels, making transportation and installation a breeze
Super Thin Lamination
  • Discreet and thin, the Renogy 175W Lightweight Panel is only a tenth of an inch thick. Approximately 95% thinner than its rigid counterpart, this panel is ideal for a stealthy solar setup
Highly Durable
  • Rigorously tested, the 175W panel is designed to withstand extreme wind of up to 2400Pa and snow loads of up to 5400Pa

+++

SPECIFICATIONS
Maximum Power at STC*: 175 WOperating Temperature: -40°F to 185°F (-40°C to 85°C)
Opitmum Operating Voltage: 19.5VOptimum Operating Current: 8.98A
Open-Circuit voltage (Voc): 23.9VShort-Circuit Current (Isc): 9.50A
Dimensions: 150.37 x 67.31 x 0.20 cms / 59.2 x 26.5 x 0.08 inchesWeight: 2.81 kgs/6.2 lbs
Overall thickness(with junction box): 22mm / 0.87In

+++

the Vic` 100/30

100/30 shows around 440W max --- (1a) If more PV power is connected, the controller will limit input power.)

so the controller will limit to 440W, (but this is all MAX theoretical.)

in reality id imagine you will get much less than the rated MAX powers . . . maybe say 80% of rated on a good uk sunny day.

plus power drops off as the panel gets hot . . . . which they do, get hot !

+++++++++++++++
1649830501280.png

+++++++++++

1649830429948.png

I have bought two renology 175w panels to charge a 12v leisure battery.

I have a few newbie questions. Am I best to wire these in parallel and if so would the best option be the Victron 100/30? Do I need to fuse between this and the battery?

Do I need to leave an air gap between the van and the panels? The panels say that you can stick them straight down (which I would prefer), but I have read that this could compromise the panels.

Anything else I need to consider?

Thanks in advance as always!
There are advantages and disadvantages with both series/parallel.

I have two 175W panels in series and run them through a Victron 100/30 and I consider this great. The MPPT starts to charge earlier and cuts charge later than it would if the panels were in parallel. Output is also better in the winter in low light conditions due to the higher voltage of the PV output.
Another advantage of serial connection is that volt drop is reduced and this increases efficiency allowing the use of smaller gauge cables between the panels and the controller.
BUT
If there is shading on either panel, the output is ruined for both panels when panels are in series.
This means that parallel is the better option when shading is likely.
So the answer is "take your pick depending on your circumstances"- Sorry to give you an irritating answer.

I'd go with series roof panels and avoid parking under a tree, just because I value the increased efficiency in the winter.
(If you only use your van in the height of summer and park under a tree for shade when possible, then go series.)

Or what I have done on my caravan-
2x 175W panels in series on roof with Victron 100/30.
Additional stand alone plug to Victron 100/20 with Anderson plug to allow connection of 200W remote panel in shady conditions.

The gap thing-
Solar panels do not like being too hot, but you need to safely fix these things to your van roof -neatly and avoiding potential wind noise. My semi-flexi panels are fully bonded to my van roof as aesthetics are important to me.

I am just in the process of installing 400W or solar to a pop top on a new camper and these are going to be fully bonded down with no gap.

In contrast my caravan panels are rigid panels which have an air gap due to the way they are fixed. They are bulky, unsightly, yet efficient.

Hope this helps.

Thank you so much. I am so grateful. Lots to read and understand. Brilliant

Back