So I looked in the engine bay..and then the oil filler

Hi Guys new to the Forum
Found the fan running really hard after a short journey today.
Checked water levels fine. Dipped the oil and it was to the lower end of dip stick.
Went to top up and found the Mayo stuff on inside of filler pipe.
Will take it to main dealer on Tuesday when they open after Easter.
Hope not to serious as only done 1K in 2 weeks.
Thanks for your postings some sound serious some sound like nothing to worry about.

Hi Guys new to the Forum
Found the fan running really hard after a short journey today.
Checked water levels fine. Dipped the oil and it was to the lower end of dip stick.
Went to top up and found the Mayo stuff on inside of filler pipe.
Will take it to main dealer on Tuesday when they open after Easter.
Hope not to serious as only done 1K in 2 weeks.
Thanks for your postings some sound serious some sound like nothing to worry about.
I’ve experienced this too. I’ve been told by the dealer that it’s quite normal and is caused by condensation. As others have mentioned you only need worry if it appears on dipstick when checking the oil level. I think they said it’s common on engines with an EGR.

I’ve got a 2016 180 biturbo Euro 5, I do plenty of short journeys and have never found emusified oil.
If I did I would be straight on the phone to VW; once the oil is emulsified it is no longer a lubricant as the film strength is destroyed and the water content will create corrosion.

The mayo thing is very common, mine was the same when I bought it from new. I no longer have this issue, over time it seemed to just sort itself out. Keep an eye on your oil levels with a new engine. I was constantly topping up to begin with but after a 8 months it’s now fine. I still check fortnightly but I don’t often have to top up anymore.

I've had my 150 dsg from new six months ago. It's approaching 10,000miles and as i planned to change the oil and filter at 10k i thought i'd open the oil filler cap for the first time. When i saw the thick black sludge in the filler neck i was horrified!

I don't make any short journeys, the temp always gets to 90 when driving, no loss of fluids or oil so I'm surprised to see this.
The dealer assures me this is 'normal' but i'm not impressed, surely vw need to modify the engine so it breathes better.
Now I've read on here it's a common issue I'm not so concerned, i'll just have to clean out the filler neck often and maybe drive harder to see if itmakes any difference.
Having the oil and filter changed tomorrow☺

I've had my 150 dsg from new six months ago. It's approaching 10,000miles and as i planned to change the oil and filter at 10k i thought i'd open the oil filler cap for the first time. When i saw the thick black sludge in the filler neck i was horrified!

I don't make any short journeys, the temp always gets to 90 when driving, no loss of fluids or oil so I'm surprised to see this.
The dealer assures me this is 'normal' but i'm not impressed, surely vw need to modify the engine so it breathes better.
Now I've read on here it's a common issue I'm not so concerned, i'll just have to clean out the filler neck often and maybe drive harder to see if itmakes any difference.
Having the oil and filter changed tomorrow☺
I was cleaning and checking my oil filler cap and cleaning mayo every time but seems to have stopped now. Van now 12 months old mileage 2,565 but none short trips !

I'm amazed to see oil caps with that sludge .... it reminds me of the bad FIAT oil that was used in the 70s in cars here in Italy ... but with current products it does not have to happen ... even the history of condensation does not convince me .... have you tried with the engine on to remove the cap and check how much vent? .. if affirmative means that water comes from the head gas ...

I'm amazed to see oil caps with that sludge .... it reminds me of the bad FIAT oil that was used in the 70s in cars here in Italy ... but with current products it does not have to happen ... even the history of condensation does not convince me .... have you tried with the engine on to remove the cap and check how much vent? .. if affirmative means that water comes from the head gas ...
To be honest with you so was i. I got st8 on here to see if anyone else had same issue and found it was common. Not convinced but nothing we can do !

Just arrived home in a courtesy van from the dealership. My 102 is 2 yrs old and has 8500 on the clock, after numerous visits to sort out the an adblue fault and amber engine management light after 2000 miles. I now have mayo gunge on the dipstick. Tried to fob me off with an service oil change, but I stood my ground and explained, how could I check the oil level with the dipstick obscured by gunge. It's in for checks and tests now will keep you posted.

Does anybody have this problem with a Euro 5 engine? Reading though it appears to be all Euro 6 engines.

2017 102 T6 ,Mayo on mine dipstick was because some dipstick did not push the dipstick in properly. I onl . had the vehicle a month from maindealer. I went to check the level before.elong trip. I also found mayo under filler cap .dealer said it's normal , dipstick since ensuring it's pushed in fully is now clear of Hellman's mayo .I had a heart attack when I first discovered this.

Just checked my filler cap and its got mayo! its a 2018 Edition 150 I'll ring the dealer tomorrow and check it out, dip stick looks fine, I've got under 3,000 miles.

Just checked my filler cap and its got mayo! its a 2018 Edition 150 I'll ring the dealer tomorrow and check it out, dip stick looks fine, I've got under 3,000 miles.
Don’t bother just clean itout and get on with your day.

Your probably right but I'll ring them anyway then at least its logged with the dealer should there be any future issues.

Back