Snow-Sock Vs Chains

For our other car we have a set of Michelin Easy Grip composite snow chains. Lightweight but really practical, even Mrs Loz can fit them and not wreck the wheels or the bodywork :)
Amazon... Size W12
upload_2019-1-11_9-27-41.png

Last edited:
Many thanks for the feedback. Never mind the BBC - the seaweed on my shed wall is swinging clockwise. That means its a commin. Seaweed never lies.

Hi,
Has anyone got any recommendations for snow chains/ sock things, going to be driving to the Alps this winter also up to Scotland.

Thought about winter tyres, and will probably get some, but snow chains are a requirement for France , didnt know if there is a particular good set

Screenshot_20191017-193939.jpg I've got a set of these although I've never had to use them so far. Not sure if they're a legal requirement in France (although on the ascent to Val Thorens there are plenty of lay bys for the fitting of snow chains). I do know in Switzerland if you block a road and you haven't got winter tyres and or chains the Police can fine the driver. I'm off to Val Thorens again Feb 20 so perhaps they'll get used then.

I bought a set of Ruuds (sp?) last year & also fitted some Pirelli cargo all season mountain rated tyres. We did 5 weeks in the Alps in some challenging conditions, never needed the chains. We have 4motion though.
You can get rim protectors off eBay to save your alloys
D9F5C460-463E-48A4-A243-37C935AC8108.jpeg 66C5500D-FF82-4EA9-B206-447EA6519F62.jpeg

Last edited:
Did see an ad for some sock things, but can't for the life of me remember where, they looked good as you could use them on normal roads for a short period, and they were legally accepted,

To be fair any of the snow chains shown are fine, but has been said - Winter tyres first - We go 2-3 times a year, albeit ours is four motion and never have to put chains on - Although they are in the van for the law requirement.

I have used these in anger and carry them all the time in my VW Passat because they don’t weigh much and fit in the spare wheel. They work great are relatively easy to put on and off and won’t damage your wheels.
AutoSock Brings You Home. The original winter traction aid since 1998.
Have taken them to Austria on many occasions to comply with local requirements and also have all weather tyres with the all important snowflake symbol. Although I have never been stopped and had to prove I had ‘snow chains’
Actually in Austria I think the legal requirement is winter tyres and prosecution if you get stuck and block the road therefore making chains not compulsory but a bloody good idea.

Actually I have been meaning to buy a set for the 4Motion so thanks for the reminder, winter is coming as they say. Anyone think I need four socks for a 4Motion or will front only do the trick?

Last edited:
I have used these in anger and carry them all the time in my VW Passat because they don’t weigh much and fit in the spare wheel. They work great are relatively easy to put on and off and won’t damage your wheels.
AutoSock Brings You Home. The original winter traction aid since 1998.
Have taken them to Austria on many occasions to comply with local requirements and also have all weather tyres with the all important snowflake symbol. Although I have never been stopped and had to prove I had ‘snow chains’
Actually in Austria I think the legal requirement is winter tyres and prosecution if you get stuck and block the road therefore making chains not compulsory but a bloody good idea.

Actually I have been meaning to buy a set for the 4Motion so thanks for the reminder, winter is coming as they say. Anyone think I need four socks for a 4Motion or will front only do the trick?

you should only put chains/socks on the front wheels, even on a 4motion.

Got stuck trying to get up the slope into the aire at La Plagne last year. Popped on the autosocks which took less than 2 minutes. Whizzed into the parking. Very impressed with how well they worked. So was my slightly sceptical and not easily impressed mate

Have now invested in Michelin Agilis CC tyres.

Hi all,

We are off to Jungfrau Switzerland in December.
Hopefully someone could help with what I might need to take ref either snow chains or I think I like the look of auto socks .
It’s fitted cross climate 2 suv tyres with 3peak symbol.
Thanks for any advice ,wheels are 265/40/20 I didn’t like the idea of chains also damaging the alloys .

This is a summary of Swiss requirements:

You have a good choice of All Season tyre (one that I've used in the Beast from the East in Scotland on the XC70) but it's not the same as a true snow tyre or chains.

Autosocks work really for the surprise snow that you need to get a mile or two to a cleared road as they are small to keep in the vehicle and simple to deploy.

They're not the same as sustained driving with chains though and they will wear like crazy on any road surface that is patchy or has grit on it to improve traction.

Perhaps consider a cheap set of steels or bashed up Davenport's with some snow tyres on for the trip?

For the record I've run Cross Climate's since they were available and had snow socks before then, I really like them but I'd only expect those to cope with a UK winter not one in the Alps.

Hi all,

We are off to Jungfrau Switzerland in December.
Hopefully someone could help with what I might need to take ref either snow chains or I think I like the look of auto socks .
It’s fitted cross climate 2 suv tyres with 3peak symbol.
Thanks for any advice ,wheels are 265/40/20 I didn’t like the idea of chains also damaging the alloys .
I think you would have clearance issues fitting chains to those tyres.

I use my original Devonports with winter tyres but always carry chains as well. I must say that my chains are only just big enough for the 215/17 tyres (although they technically fit) and I have had problems fitting them in anger (which was actually in the Lakes, not the Alps!). I always have a “practice” fitting session on a loose wheel at the beginning of each winter as it really helps should you have to fit them on a cold, freezing roadside in the dark! I even did that when I lived in Munich. I have once been in a queue in heavy snow in Austria and the police have come down the line telling everyone to fit chains, which I managed so quickly that the woman in the car behind me asked me to fit hers!
So far, I have two trips to Austria planned this next season.

Back