Snow-Sock Vs Chains

Markymark

VIP Member
T6 Guru
A mate and I are going to take the camper to the Alps in March for some skiing.

Previously I’ve use chains on cars but quite fancy the idea of socks made by Autosocks as they are approved for use in France.

Has anyone got any experience of using them on their van in the snow?

Many thanks.

yes I echo DaveyB`s comment
used them at a 24 hour mountainbike race in scotland minus 16 c ice and powder snow on all the forest roads
the organiser would only let motors with chains or socks into the forest and they worked brilliantly .
though I need some new ones as lent them to a mate and he wore holes in them

I've carried Autosocks for a number of years, but never had to get them out the packet. Remember though, theyre only a get you out of bother product. They're not made for driving about all day on.

The socks are great, and although recognised as an alternative to chains, be careful and local police doesn’t see them as such. A couple of years back, in a 4 motion T6, the police didn’t let us up the 21 bends at Alpe D’Huez, with the socks - It was a clear chains only! To be fair we had snow tyres on and wouldn’t have needed them anyway, so had to stay local overnight until they cleared the roads - There had been 70cm of snow in 1 day!

We always take chains now, although have never needed them as stated above, with 4 motion and snow tyres.

Many thanks.

Interestingly Autosock provide a sticker in French and a sheet detailing the law showing they are legal but only if made by them as they have been tested and approved. However could get a stroppy policeman/woman who chooses to ignore that.

They won’t work in mud as they get clogged.

Have only ever needed chains in last bits up to resort. So only expect to use them if the mandatory signs are up (might be a dangerous assumption). But will check weather forecast the week before to see if would be needed for longer runs and then get chains.

We are being threatened, once again, with the “Beast from the East”. Living at the bottom of an uphill climb, I am less than confident of being able to get vanny up the hill should the snow arrive. I was browsing on Amazon and noticed quite a few different styles of devices. Some designs need cable tie style straps through the wheel and around the tyre but I doubt these would clear the ‘big callipers’! Or am I wrong?
Anyone already found the perfect fit?
On 215/60 r17

We are being threatened, once again, with the “Beast from the East”. Living at the bottom of an uphill climb, I am less than confident of being able to get vanny up the hill should the snow arrive. I was browsing on Amazon and noticed quite a few different styles of devices. Some designs need cable tie style straps through the wheel and around the tyre but I doubt these would clear the ‘big callipers’! Or am I wrong?
Anyone already found the perfect fit?
On 215/60 r17
RUD heavy duty snow chains & Rimprotect covers.

19326A8B-927B-4429-B250-1D1754E0402D.jpeg

703807C5-1097-41FC-A243-BEE82A8222B3.jpeg

DBA58BB9-8FF8-4C80-B60A-835C66FAA7A8.jpeg

We are being threatened, once again, with the “Beast from the East”.

Where have you seen that? I've just scanned through the news and only seeing snow in the depths of Europe where they normally get snow in the winter. I cannot find anything about the UK

Where have you seen that? I've just scanned through the news and only seeing snow in the depths of Europe where they normally get snow in the winter. I cannot find anything about the UK
Apparently there’s “up to” 5cm of snow heading here next week. If you live in the south, batten down the hatches, close the schools, buy up all the bread & milk. If you live in the north you might need your big coyt.

Apparently there’s “up to” 5cm of snow heading here next week. If you live in the south, batten down the hatches, close the schools, buy up all the bread & milk. If you live in the north you might need your big coyt.

Nowt on the BBC weather app for Leicestershire but dry sunny days, shorts and bikinis all next week. :thumbsup:

Back to the OP. In this country snow sock will suffice. Mistauto has quite a lot of choice.

Back