Snow-Sock Vs Chains

If there is a lack of wheel arch clearance and ground clearance it will almost certainly cause difficulties.
Don’t forget the national requirements for the countries you will visit getting to and leaving Switzerland, some European countries are stricter than others and specify the equipment to be carried plus minimum tyre tread depths. If you don’t follow the national law you may find the insurance company has a reason to reject a claim.
I’ve stayed in the Jungfrau area, Swiss public transport is the best way to get around.

Jumping in here.. So experts in snow out there, which tyre for snow? I was looking at a specific winter tyres with a view to going to the alps for NY

Thanks for all input so far, having just spent approx £1000 on new crossclimate tyres I’m not keen on getting another set of wheels & tyres for just this trip. I’m lowered approx 70mm so hopefully these euro socks will do the job they seem to be legal in France & Switzerland. I have been once but only in summer & roads to interlaken are mainly motorways at low level. The last 10 miles to lauterbrunnen is then uphill . I plan on using public transport for rest of holiday.
Anyone got experience with auto socks as they seem to be ideal on the off chance I might need them .

Fitting anything where you have to get your hands and wrists into the arch and behind the tyre will be problematic for your setup.
I had this very dilemma.
I went for front fit chains for low clearance.
Anything other than fresh snow then socks are less good. The amount of shredded ones I saw on the side of the road last Easter heading up to Tignes was staggering.

Like I say I've used them for the surprise snow between me and a cleared road in the morning.

They're fine on fresh packed snow, they will wear heavily on anything that is patchy snow, has rough ice from last night or where the authorities use road grit in the snow pack to improve traction. And by wear heavily I mean in a few miles. The season I used mine they were done for in about 5 journeys as I had to travel in cleared roads until I got to a layby to remove them.

To me they're like a jump pack or tow rope, there for emergencies but I wouldn't plan on using them if I could avoid it.

Gradients will be a real test, especially if you are front wheel drive only but heavy on the rear.

In my experience the Autosocks gave me an edge when I used them with the Pirelli Scorpion M+S the XC70 had on originally, but didn't really add much once I'd switched to CC+. The CC+ certainly did more for my traction than having AWD as well. I've not had the Caravelle in snow conditions yet as it's on the OE tyres so I did get a set of socks until the time I fit CC+

If you're really against chains then I'd certainly get some socks as they give you an option, but I think that if the conditions are too much for the CC+ then it will likely be for the socks too. You might want to have a backup plan if you find you can't make the last section.

Edited to remove the link to the thread this has now been merged with as it looked a little odd now.

Last edited:
Back