Pauly

VCDS User
Admin
Cant believe it, heard plenty about T5 windows leaking and just assumed they would have fixed it by now but apparently not.
Over the last week every time it rains i have a nice trickle of water running from the front lower corner of my OSR slider down to a nice wet patch on the floor, thats to now one in the back and one below the driver door in the footwell

Vans booked in monday for a warranty/service so will see how it goes

Sorry to hear that fella.... no doubt will be fixed under warranty but regardless there are loads of fixes to this on the T5 forum (am I allowed to say that??!!). This is one of the reasons my conversion guy told me to start with a panel to convert rather than a Kombi as he hates VW windows and much prefers good aftermarket ones.

Can't believe they haven't fixed it by now.

Crickey! If I'd wanted this I'd have bought a Defender

Its not as comfy though.

Sorry to hear that fella.... no doubt will be fixed under warranty but regardless there are loads of fixes to this on the T5 forum (am I allowed to say that??!!). This is one of the reasons my conversion guy told me to start with a panel to convert rather than a Kombi as he hates VW windows and much prefers good aftermarket ones.

Can't believe they haven't fixed it by now.

Thats what I was told too.

No, not great is it, I'll be testing mine with the hose pipe when it arrives...What 'fixes' are out there?

The windows are a small part of the Kombi spec and I wouldn't rush to ditch the other benefits. It's a strange problem that has only affected a small number but often once they have got it it is difficult to get rid of.

I'd get the dealer to replace under warranty and if they fail again get them replaced again. If in the end they keep failing insist on a permanent solution even if that is plain glass.

Good luck @Pauly, hope you have more success than I have had so far on getting the front door leaks sorted, the dealers told me it was that the doors needed adjusting, guess what - they adjusted them, they still leak!

Last edited:
They told me the same and i have my doubts, i have carefully inspected the door/window etc etc
When inspecting the puddle i get there is no wet track of water running into it so on closer inspection i found bottom of door was wet - my thinking is that water is getting between glass and bottom rubber seal and going down inside the door and out the bottom thus forming on the step
My rubber seal seems to move away from the glass at the front 2-3 inches and thats where i think the water is getting in

It must be window related. They tried to say it was my Climair deflectors, but the leak was there before I fitted them and I had no issues with a previous set on my T5 for 6 years

I have bought new wind deflectors to replace my genuine VW ones but havent fitted them yet as thought it may give them an excuse or something to blame, going to hold on to them until problem is sorted

They told me the same and i have my doubts, i have carefully inspected the door/window etc etc
When inspecting the puddle i get there is no wet track of water running into it so on closer inspection i found bottom of door was wet - my thinking is that water is getting between glass and bottom rubber seal and going down inside the door and out the bottom thus forming on the step
My rubber seal seems to move away from the glass at the front 2-3 inches and thats where i think the water is getting in

It sounds about right @Pauly , I had exactly the same problem with my t5....

I had a T5 that suffered from the leaky windows (Both sides) I had two new replacements on warranty.
Now I have a new 6 and NO LEAKS so far, seems VW have a solution they have tightend up the clearances so much so that one side is difficult to open and close the other side is impossible to operate....
Went in today by appointment and VW sent a parts kit fix that includes a new sliding window.
Oh guess what they forgot to send the window !!!
To achieve a solution to a problem you must first recognise that you have a problem.
Wakey wakey VW you are spoiling the ship for a hapth of tar

No leaks on mine yet.....but then again, in 6 weeks of ownership I haven't found the need to open them. I'm going to pressure wash it next week so I'll see then. If they don't leak, I'll then make a point of operating them to see if that "provokes" a leak the next time it rains.

Mine dont leak.... then again they isnt any openable rear windows in the vel..

My front door and rear only seem to leak when parked sideways on an angle, both leaks are on the same side ?!?!

The windows are a small part of the Kombi spec and I wouldn't rush to ditch the other benefits. It's a strange problem that has only affected a small number but often once they have got it it is difficult to get rid of.

I'd get the dealer to replace under warranty and if they fail again get them replaced again. If in the end they keep failing insist on a permanent solution even if that is plain glass.
They reckon 1 in 800 cars manufactured will have slight issue that wasn't picked up at the factory, no different to any other car manufacturer. It is things that are hard to detect at quality control stage. My leak seems to have gone away?!?

Is the Kombi window leak always the same thing? Is it around the opening glass itself or the around the whole window unit?

The leak ocurrs at the window closure.
Due to the design of the closure it is essential to keep the seal clean, free from anything that might interfere with a good seal.
Regular wiping with washing liquid works.
In addition
One tip to help sealing is to smear a good quality Silcone grease SPARINGLY to the seal closure.

One of my side slider windows is showing signs of water dribbles this morning. Is there anything owners can have a go at first before letting the spanner monkeys climb all over my van :(

IMG_1329.JPG

Back