Clean up the areas on and around the seals and i think there are two drain holes underneath that need to be keep clear

Reactions: HHO
Take the lower slide cover off (the part below the slide) and have a look at the plastic parts of the drain channels. There are two drain outlets that 'should' run any water that gets into the slide channel to the outside of the van. Often the upper and lower parts are not correctly joined!

This is one of the dubious pleasures of owning a T5 or T6, VW have known about the fault since 2003 but not fixed it yet. I've had three T5s and they have all leaked and not been fixed by anything that the dealers have been able to do.

Rod

One of my side slider windows is showing signs of water dribbles this morning. Is there anything owners can have a go at first before letting the spanner monkeys climb all over my van :(

View attachment 2968
I have noticed the same now on my sliding door window. This too is one that opens but it appears to be coming from the bottom and nothing to do with the opening bit. I am going to do what I did with my old SC splitty and put some clear sealer round!

Leak update:
I've cleaned all window channels and seals, followed by applying a very thin application of silicone grease to the seals. Two days of rain later and a water test with the pressure washer - bone dry inside. I suspect preventative maintenance rather than a cure for this one.

Eek...had my Kombi for one week and have discovered a leak on the nearside slider window :(

Water damage on the top of the door card, and a puddle of water on the slider door step.

Guess what I'll be doing this weekend...

@rod_vw the dealers couldn't sort your leaking windows - have you managed to do so?

It was never fixed completely on any of my three T5s, I've not had the windows open much (if at all) on the T6 yet so not had the opportunity to see what happens to any water that comes past the seals. I must try it before I fit the right side out with camper fittings.

The dealers tell me that there are no changes in design between the T5 and T6.

Rod

My seal-clean and silicone grease is still doing the trick. Check regularly and bone dry ever since. I'll make that a regular job every few months.

@HHO I totally agree, the problem is that when water does pass the window seals the drainage system is unable to get it away to the outside of the van either because it's blocked or not correctly assembled.

Rod

@HHO @rod_vw so before I resort to a dealer trip (which may or may not resolve the issue and ultimately be wasted effort anyway) it is worth striping the slider mechanism, performing a thorough check and clean of the internal drainage system, a silicone re-grease and then ensuring correct and accurate reassembly. This might do the trick...?

I can't really imagine that the original VW design is inherently at fault (particularly when considering the amount of time it's been used on the T5 and now T6) apart from allowing the ingress of dirt, dust etc. that then blocks internal drainage channels. Mind you if water/dirt is getting that far in the first place, this suggests the OEM windows seals are not up to the job either :/

@MrT6 that was exactly my approach based on the info in this tread - and it has worked thus far. However, because you have water damage to your door card I'd get that replaced and suggest the dealer cleans and greases the seals before they embark on anything more invasive.

Mine are ok at the moment but have Seen in the thread the use of washing up liquid. Please don't put that on the rubbers as it will start to brake it down over time . Use a silicon grease or lubricant for rubber seals or orings you can get it from a plumbers merchants. You can get it in a spray can and is good for doors seals just wipe the seal off first.

Clean up the areas on and around the seals and i think there are two drain holes underneath that need to be keep clear
Bottom front corners. The drain holes are hidden there. I say drain holes not much of a hole at all. I had to unravel a push bike brake cable to get a piece of wire narrow enough to clean them out. Both mine leaked. I now clean the drain holes every time I wash the van.

Back