Sliding-Window Bug Screen

Am I correct these are plastic much like the factory supplied ones? Are they as "flimsy" though? My VW supplied ones feel like thick cardboard! Similarly, the VW supplied ones don't fill the gap all that well. There is a clear 1-2mm gap that insects can gain access thru let alone midgies!
They are quite sturdy and there are no gaps on OEM sliding windows. Not seem the factory ones so can't compare. I'm pleased with them.:thumbsup:

Why would the surround not be black??? o_O

Therefore 'blend' with the windows and be 'invisible'..... tut tut for 49 squids!

These are the ones I got with my Cali, so will on fit factory sliders I would think53BC536F-1A9F-4728-8ACB-5275D2827519.jpeg E47B1ACC-E87B-406A-BE43-3F7FD010C2CF.jpeg

Reactions: Rye
I have a couple of the Jerba side window midge screens and they work well - from memory they are £45 each but check their website. If you’re planning on travelling in Scotland be aware that a lot of mosquito netting mesh is not tight enough to prevent midges coming in.

I made some magnetic screens for the windows (attached outside) with midge mesh and they were a right fiddle to use - binned them. It might not be hard to attach Velcro around the edges of midge mesh sheet cut to size and just stick to carpet lining if you have it.

Received the window grill today, very well packed.
It’s well made, aluminium frame with stainless steel mesh, ?plastic fly grill and all matt black powder coated.
It’s a very snug fit and certainly not removable without brute force (hammer), that said I wouldn’t leave my van unattended with this fitted as it would probably void the insurance.
Note that the sliding window seal is not effective as the window is not in the fully closed position so not suitable if raining unless you rig a mini awning over the window :thumbsdown:
The grill is reversible so will fit either side window, I’d choose the sliding door as it reduces the possibility of getting the HPL furniture wet.
Weighs in at 1.2Kg.
Recommended.

View attachment 47377

View attachment 47378

View attachment 47379

View attachment 47380

View attachment 47381

View attachment 47382

View attachment 47383

View attachment 47384

I was heading for Scotland last year, and unable to find something a bit more secure to leave in place all day.

I made a prototype vent from 4mm marine ply, a handful of stainless 5mm nuts and bolts and a vent from eBay.
Might not win any prizes, but as secure as the sliding window catch.

Has anyone tried making something similar with a 12v extractor fan?

Also has anyone been able to source a perspex eyebrow to go over the sliding window to stop water running in when it's raining? Seems so obvious and would fit any van with a sliding window.

Thanks.

Vent - outer.jpg

Vent - inner.jpg

So looking for away of having the kombi windows open but not allowing Mr Gnat inside I looked around and although very nice £59 for a jerba one or god forbid the 100+ for Vw

I thought why not use a kids pop out sun screen so have ordered a large 1000x500mm one at £3.99 which is approx the size of the kombi window
note I do have vanshades blinds as well,to tuck behind

will post back when arrived with findings lol
what do others use ??
164B5AD8-C42E-4FC0-87EA-E5AF3EFB2321.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I`ve just ordered netting from Amazon and it includes tape to make a hem if required and will use magnets to secure. Cant justify the price of a `made` version, as some are way too costly for what they are.... netting is cheap as..

Back