OEM VW sliding windows sticking

Bav

Explore, discover, enjoy, repeat...
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Has anyone had problems with the OEM VW sliding windows sticking?

Both N/S and O/S windows are a nightmare to open & close on my van, to the point where opening them has become a 2-person operation - one pushing the glass in from the outside, whilst the other grapples with the spring-loaded catches and attempts to wrench the glass backwards.

For me, the issue is the catches themselves rather than a track lubrication issue - the catches are very difficult to squeeze together and, once squeezed together, they won't spring back into their original positions.

Given the dirty state my converter handed me back my van, I wouldn't be surprised if there's some conversion crap the mechanisms, but it seems odd that both windows have the same issue to the same extent.

Anyone able to offer a solution?

Can't offer a solution sorry but my 16 plate is the same. I open mine for the dog to put his head out the window and I too use 2 hands. I thought it was just typical VW. I had the full windows out and lightly stayed the spring mechanisms but that doesn't seem to help too much!!

Reactions: Bav
Thanks for the response @JDC. How long have you had your van and has it been like that since you got it? My van is brand new - it went to the converter directly from the dealer- so it doesn't seem to be an age-related/deterioration issue.

I'm just wondering if I need to shout at my converter or at VW because the windows aren't fit for purpose IMO. :rolleyes:

Only had the van since August but only started opening the window in this nice weather for the dog. I just don't trust the clips enough to open the windows on there own.

Is it T6 or T6.1?

I know on the T6 you can disassemble the whole mechanism and take out the sliding glass. I would do that and clean and lubricate all the moving parts. Its pretty easy to do. if you do a search on leaking windows there is a thread on how to guide.

Reactions: JDC
Is it T6 or T6.1?

I know on the T6 you can disassemble the whole mechanism and take out the sliding glass. I would do that and clean and lubricate all the moving parts. Its pretty easy to do. if you do a search on leaking windows there is a thread on how to guide.
It's a 6-week old T6.1.

I appreciate the info David, but that's not really what I would want to be doing with a new van tbh. Perhaps I should provide the dealer with a link to that thread? :whistle:

Has anyone had problems with the OEM VW sliding windows sticking?

Both N/S and O/S windows are a nightmare to open & close on my van, to the point where opening them has become a 2-person operation - one pushing the glass in from the outside, whilst the other grapples with the spring-loaded catches and attempts to wrench the glass backwards.

For me, the issue is the catches themselves rather than a track lubrication issue - the catches are very difficult to squeeze together and, once squeezed together, they won't spring back into their original positions.

Given the dirty state my converter handed me back my van, I wouldn't be surprised if there's some conversion crap the mechanisms, but it seems odd that both windows have the same issue to the same extent.

Anyone able to offer a solution?
Was it difficult to operate before the conversion?
If the converter has removed the sliding windows to carpet line (neatest way) it’s possible that the window could have been re-installed with some stress causing twisting and tight operation.
I’d be going back to VW as that’s what the warranty is for, if the windows have been removed by the converter VW don’t need to know about it.

Reactions: Bav
Was it difficult to operate before the conversion?
If the converter has removed the sliding windows to carpet line (neatest way) it’s possible that the window could have been re-installed with some stress causing twisting and tight operation.
I’d be going back to VW as that’s what the warranty is for, if the windows have been removed by the converter VW don’t need to know about it.
I'll ask if they were removed during conversion.

No idea how they operated pre-conversion as delivery was direct to converter - I was present, but had no opportunity to try anything out.

Back