Skyline Pop-Top leaking; am i expecting too much?

VinylArchie

T6 Pro
So having spent the best part of £4000 on my Skyline pop top earlier this year I'm less than impressed to be having water coming through the zips (presume that's how its getting in). On our first long distance trip to the Outer Hebrides I did have water come through to drip on the passenger seat after putting the roof down whilst it was wet. To a certain extent I was in denial that this happened and kind of hoped it was an isolated incident. Thought it must be something to do with the way I folded the roof down? Since then it has happened again and now im finding water has been getting in through the front with the roof down on my daily drive. Im guessing that no zip no matter the quality is 100% waterproof but surely why I am experiencing is not acceptable? Have to say if I was to choose again I would not pick skyline. The fabric on the inside is covered with lettering and coding which looks pretty naff and also it never really seems to look like the fabric is under any tension. You might say it looks a bit scruffy next to others. Obviously I need to get in touch with the manufacturer but im pretty upset about the situation and I wanted to see what other people consider to be acceptable with pop tops regarding water ingress. Honestly thought having selected a pretty expensive roof I wouldn't get any water in.

Hi @VinylArchie, we have a Skyline Aurora and have been really pleased with it. Surprised your leaks whilst it is down!! Surely down the fitment rather than the product itself, although if it leaks through the zip that a sound s more like a manufacturing fault/faulty zip? Maybe the seal at the front of the pop top where the fabric is sealed to the van body? Or where the pop top fasteners pierce the roof under the sun visors?
Ours did come with some lettering on the inside which is barely noticeable so decided I could live with that.
When in Devon earlier this year it really hammered down for hours with the roof elevated and at the very back where it has been stitched got very slightly damp but hardly anything really considering.
I think if I know the weather is going to be really really bad with driving rain I would never elevate the roof so the tallest part of the roof is facing in to the weather...maybe asking for trouble.
Give the fitters a chance to rectify it first before you name and shame, after all, we're all human!

I'm curious as to how the water (enough to drip) would be getting into through the zip. The zips arent waterproof but they have a pretty generous storm flap to keep water away from them.

If it's leaking when it's down how are you folding/rolling the fabric as the roof comes down?

The rear hinge utilizes the rear roof rack bolt hole and would have rubber washers and possibly sealant to help. Now I doubt this is the case for you as it's a long way between the bolt and the front passenger seat but anything is possible.

What about the state of the sealant where the canvas meets the roof?

Hi @VinylArchie, we have a Skyline Aurora and have been really pleased with it. Surprised your leaks whilst it is down!! Surely down the fitment rather than the product itself, although if it leaks through the zip that a sound s more like a manufacturing fault/faulty zip? Maybe the seal at the front of the pop top where the fabric is sealed to the van body? Or where the pop top fasteners pierce the roof under the sun visors?
Ours did come with some lettering on the inside which is barely noticeable so decided I could live with that.
When in Devon earlier this year it really hammered down for hours with the roof elevated and at the very back where it has been stitched got very slightly damp but hardly anything really considering.
I think if I know the weather is going to be really really bad with driving rain I would never elevate the roof so the tallest part of the roof is facing in to the weather...maybe asking for trouble.
Give the fitters a chance to rectify it first before you name and shame, after all, we're all human!
Originally I posted about this on the Skyline owners FB group. Didn't realise this was actually run by Skyline. Guess I was a bit pissed that they took my post down and didn't even bother to send me a message saying give them a bell. I wasn't nasty about them, just asking for others experiences.

I'm curious as to how the water (enough to drip) would be getting into through the zip. The zips arent waterproof but they have a pretty generous storm flap to keep water away from them.

If it's leaking when it's down how are you folding/rolling the fabric as the roof comes down?

The rear hinge utilizes the rear roof rack bolt hole and would have rubber washers and possibly sealant to help. Now I doubt this is the case for you as it's a long way between the bolt and the front passenger seat but anything is possible.

What about the state of the sealant where the canvas meets the roof?
All looks fine. I was told to try and neatly fold across the face of the pop top from window. Im trying to give it a dry then will fold it back down and see how it gets on.

I had exactly the same problem. Driving back from a weekend break, water dripped down on to me every time I breaked for turned. There was no wet on the carpet around the pop top so I think it’s condensation. I now leave the flaps half down to get airflow and so far so good:/

That’s annoying, did the fitter spot it or did it get handed over to you like that?

How on earth did that slip through the mesh/net?! More than annoying for you @Sackmycook, I would of thought...didn't they check it as it looks pretty obvious.:(

Shamefully, I never checked close up. I don't doubt that they honestly didn't spot it either.
Pain in the arse ferrying it back.up there again though

My new SkyLine standard poptop canvas has a quality control issue (see photos). They have agreed that the mesh has not been sewn in sufficiently on one of the side windows so a new canvas is on order and fitting TBA.....

View attachment 156702

View attachment 156703
This is exactly the same issue mine has. I also didn’t notice it right away. I now have a 4 hour drive there to get a new canvas fitted. My brackets are leaking too, the 2 at the front that hold the roof down. When roof is up in the rain it’s coming through

This is exactly the same issue mine has. I also didn’t notice it right away. I now have a 4 hour drive there to get a new canvas fitted. My brackets are leaking too, the 2 at the front that hold the roof down. When roof is up in the rain it’s coming through
I'm minded not to bother getting my canvas replaced as, like you say, it's a 3 hour round trip and they need it for 2 days. Just waiting for Michael to call back and offer some compensation.

I'm minded not to bother getting my canvas replaced as, like you say, it's a 3 hour round trip and they need it for 2 days. Just waiting for Michael to call back and offer some compensation.
your regret it the way the mesh has come out it only looks like it will get worse think of how your going to fix it,then the edge of the mesh has frayed so is to short once you accept compo thats it and if it gets that bad your wish you had a new canvas

Reactions: Bav
your regret it the way the mesh has come out it only looks like it will get worse think of how your going to fix it,then the edge of the mesh has frayed so is to short once you accept compo thats it and if it gets that bad your wish you had a new canvas
Appreciate your view, I've considered everything. It's very stable at the points that it is sew in and I think I could do a decent near invisible repair with fishing line. The time and effort of returning is just too much. Its sad to hear someone else has the same issue

I suspect that I would initially be happy with a DIY repair but every time I thought about it or noticed a slight imperfection, it would pee me off and I would regret not spending the time and effort getting it sorted properly. It's also letting a so called reputable company like Skyline get away with it. In the words of the immortal Jim Royle: 'didn't spot it either, my 4rse'.

It’s ridiculous, 2 days, hell. I’m not rant back to book a date, but all I can do is in oct half term, I’m a teacher so can’t just take the days off. Gutted as literally it’s just been fitted this month. 2 days will be accommodation on the cost of fuel, plus I suspect I’ll have to get a taxi into Bristol or wherever I’m going to try and stay as I don’t know, but I doubt it’s in the middle of Bristol. So I’ll be doing this with my 3 year old.

Back