Skyline Aurora Pop-Top opening on motorway?

Skyline doing themselves no favours here at all, I’ve gone for a Stealth B2 on my new van and thanks to this thread I’m glad I dd.

Skyline also blocked me on their Facebook page when I dared to ask them about a small percentage of theirs roofs opening at speed.
Hi @Insert Coin - interested that you have gone for another cam close option after the bad publicity of the skyline. I originally had a t5 which I had fitted with a basic skyline pop top with ratchet straps which gave excellent service over the 5 years I had the van. 3 years ago I bought a t6 to convert and one of my priorities was a low profile pop top to preserve the great looks!
I chose the stealth from lowlife as they then were as the design fulfilled all my requirements. Been on 2 years now and no problems with de latching. Their locks I was told were airframe fixings, the first quarter turn engages the latch, the second quater pulls it down about 8mm. I naively didn't enquire about load ratings or tuv approvals.
Do you have your van back yet and ere you happy with your choice?
Steve

@Steved55 I was going to go for a Horizon, but my new bus is being built by Van Haven and their preference for fitting pop tops is the Stealth B2.

I’ve got about another 4 weeks until it’s ready so not seen it in the flash yet.

I would say that this catch..
upsidedown.png
Is fitted upside down, the curved section of the bar at the end should be facing the bar it latches over.

Well yes in this instance it would if you left the bar in the same place, my point was that someone has undone that bar and flipped it, what if maybe it isn't designed to be used that way up.

These are the cams on my skyline aurora roof. The part of the cam that engages over the bar is concave rather than convex as in the images above. The form on mine makes more sense to me than the convex. It would twist more naturally onto the bar this way rather than snag or even roll under it and not engage at all. (I’ve had my roof open on the dual carriageway the day after I picked it up). I’ve had no bother since. I check the roof is pinched down and the cams are fully locked around routinely.

IMG_3435.png

IMG_3436.png

Last edited:
I saw a white van on the A303 on Monday with their skyline roof open about 8 inches at the front, I tried to tell them as we pulled along side but I think I just freaked them out and they didn’t stop. I later saw them pull into a lay-by so I guess they worked it out but I think I was more panicked than them!

If this was you I’m sorry if you thought you had a maniac following you

I found this thread parked up in a service station googling 'Skyline pop top opening on motorway'

It's a terrifying experience and obviously very dangerous.

It happened to me about a year ago, Skyline (who installed it) suggested user error (I strongly disagree as this is something I take very seriously) It's happened several times since. I have taken the van in and they tightened all fittings and it seemed fine for a 4000 mile Europe trip but it's now started happening again. On a 100 mile drive a fortnight ago it would happen as soon as I hit 70mph, I'd hear a crack as the driver side latch went but at least the pop top wasn't going up.... I drove to the nearest service station and tightened as many of the strut bolts as I could and it got me home.

Today it went up fully on the motorway, had to get onto the hard shoulder and sort out. My dog had an absolute melt down, it's a very loud noise when it goes.

When I spoke with Skyline last year, they suggested to me that this was unheard of so this thread makes for some very interesting and unsettling reading.

Mine opens but only on the right side. Not user error, totally fastened down so the roof is pulled tight. It happened on motorway. Luckily I heard it so pulled over immediately. I have now have to put a ratchet strap around the handle of the poptop to the handle at drivers side where you get in the cab. Coming back from Scotland at weekend it was terrible. Perhaps every 4 mins it would pop off the catch. I’ve really lost confidence in it. Definitely not user error., I pull the roof down from outside and feel the cam pulling it tight to roof. It’s also strange that is didn’t happen from the beginning when first fitted.It’s like the roof has moved back? I’m now trying to get a thicker bar cut and put inplace on the roof. No way would I now drive without my botch of the ratchet straps in place. Fuming after near 4K for the lwb version.
This is exactly my experience a week ago... as soon as I got up to 70mph I'd hear the driver's side catch go bang... and would have to grab the handle... luckily the other side didn't go... had to limp 100 miles home... horrendous considering the cost of these...

I found this thread parked up in a service station googling 'Skyline pop top opening on motorway'

Today it went up fully on the motorway, had to get onto the hard shoulder and sort out. My dog had an absolute melt down, it's a very loud noise when it goes.

When I spoke with Skyline last year, they suggested to me that this was unheard of so this thread makes for some very interesting and unsettling reading.
Are they run by the post office.

I had exactly the same thought last night, but chickened out posting.
Two ongoing issues that need sorting pronto.
indeed.
greed/profit being put ahead of peoples wellbeing. again.
it really is disgusting/depressing. and we're supposed to be a civilised country/species.

I am now in the same situation my roof popped up today on the way to work. I have a ratchet strap now that I will be putting on to get home. I've Never had any problems but this has pisses me off. I and going to a local installer tomorrow for them to have a look. This guy fits Skyline roofs so hopefully it can be sorted. I have phoned Skyline head office and they said take it to them as well.

So visited Skyline Midalands today with a pre arranged appointment (Aka Xtreme vans) for them to 'check' my original roof catches etc before it gets lots of use in the coming months. I went with not really knowing what they were going to check and do tbh, but as i was almost passing it would be daft not to. As mentioned before i have been pleased with the installation whch was done a few years back and it has been no problem at all. (Not done by them but by Retofitted in Bury St Edmunds who have been excellent)
No clear signage on arrival and no spanking workshop so overall first impressions were not so good....have i got the right place?? I had indeed.
To be fair they are expanding and building a new workshop next doors so i guess this will all change over the coimng months.
Anyway..they opened the roof and checked the catches and immediatly noticed one of the catches was not fully overlapping the bar on the roof. So they changed both cam latches and bars for the new improved version, without any fuss, or cost to myself. The new version of cam has a final 'clip' to ensure it is fully engagaed over the new wider roof bar, seems to pull the roof down nicely.
They did note that the old latches had been fitted incorrectly, part of the securing washer was fitted the wrong way but their explanation was not 100% clear.
The new cams are a slightly different design with a more visible neoprene sealing washer between the stationary and moving part, and the catch may be a tad longer and the whole thing is fastened to the roof with two large nuts and a shake proof washer in between.
The bars are wider and have elongated holes for more adjustment to and fro.
The finishing trim around the headlining on the inside where the key goes is also larger so you can see the key of the cam more clearly without feeling for it.
The guys here said if you have a lwb Aurora rood it helps to have roof bars along the sides to keep the roof rigid and from flexing/moving.
They've done a good job on the face of it and with no fuss whatsoever, turned it around pretty quickly while i waited but tbh im not really sure how much more confient i feel after my visit as now i have a 'new' system in place in lieu of something which to a layman wasnt actually broken. Maybe ill just be on a better standing if something 'does' happen! Damn...why did i say that doh!!!

IMG_0759.jpeg

IMG_0755.jpeg

IMG_0754.jpeg

IMG_0758.jpeg

IMG_0771.jpeg

IMG_0772.jpeg

IMG_0770.jpeg

Back