Show us your 3D printed modifications

Thanks! Our little girl loves the one beside her seat for drinks/snacks and monkey storage.

These ones are highly customised to fit my van (wall thickness, insulation type, positioned for my rear seat type (Reimo variotech), my process was to cut the hole in the lining (gulp!) then measure the available space and design the bin for it. It would need some thought to see how that could be adapted for 'any' van. Then they take around 48 hours to print, the PLA costs about £10, how much would you pay for something like that?

One possibility is that I make a generic design, with a few easily modifiable dimensions, then put the files on thingiverse (or here) and anyone with a printer can print their own.

What do you think?
Sharing the file would be awesome, and I’m sure many would benefit too.

:thumbsup:

Sharing the file would be awesome, and I’m sure many would benefit too.

:thumbsup:
I’m on with making the dimensions into parameters, but I’m learning fusion 360 myself. Any experts on here?

Button blank replacement / adaptor to fit an off-the-shelf USB-A to USB-C snap-in cable. If you have an aftermarket head unit with CarPlay / Android Auto, this will give you USB-C in the dash for under a tenner. Note, I’m not selling parts, this is a how-to for you to do it.

Thread below.

Reporting back:
  • The USB-C one fits. Just.
  • The HDMI one won't work because it's 4mm wider and you can see below how close a fit the USB-C one is.
This amazing human over on Thingiverse, Vincent Whalley (Is he a forum member? Didn't come up in a search) has made a 3D model of the middle button blank from the T6. It needed some fairly hefty mod to make it work but it was an excellent starting point. The model is under creative commons license so I need to name him (done that) and include the original link here:

Here's a screen grab of the modifications I made, knocking the hole out, changing some of the geometry to make it sit right and stay in:

View attachment 184779

Then into PruscaSlicer for print prep:

View attachment 184778

Which gave me this sleeve that fits around the usb port, and connects into the top or bottom blank row in the van. This was a low-quality test prototype but it's helpful to see what is the USB connector (black) and what is the 3D print (grey):

View attachment 184777

Once it was proven to work and fit, I made and painted it. I regretted not having any black ABS filament, and will replace in the future.

View attachment 184782

And it fits well, doesn't move about and the cable can be yanked and seated with force and it doesn't move.

View attachment 184810

I did experiment with recessing it, but there was just so little material left, it would have broken if I'd tried to lever it out with the trim tool. Maybe it's worth another go one time. This is just a quick and rough test, hence the scraggy print.

View attachment 184780

The USB-C to USB-A cable is available below for £6. The print cost pennies. I now have a 200mm USB-C to Lightning cable on order from Amazon (£6 for 2) for a direct connect into my phone which is just above the button bank in a MagSafe holder / charger connected to a Brodit mount. The flying lead behind it is just the right length to connect into my smartphone USB-in on the head unit, and the second USB in goes to the normal T6 USB port.

Last edited:
Simple but effective way to keep the loose end of your USB cable dangling - two bound tubes with internal diameters and openings specifically dimensioned to put your cable into compression. The static side you want to stay fixed to the cable is twice as long (and therefore takes more force to separate) than the side you want to release more easily.

02F916A2-6C25-4302-9441-EA8DF50E2F90.png8B5E5083-7B6B-40CB-B298-E6D5AD3A446E.jpeg

This looks epic, did you design from scratch?
Thanks! And yes it's my design, in fusion 360. I have revised the design and changed to PETG now and they are for sale here;

The one in the pic you linked to was my prototype, it's also for sale cheap here;

I've had one in our van for 2 years now and it's become essential.

Just rename to .stl

T6 forum doesn’t accept files when .stl is the type
I've tried that, its .stl at the end but type of file is still .txt, and my only way of saving the download is as a txt file

txt.jpg

Try opening it in the application (file>open>etc) rather than double-clicking the file icon?

Back