Thank you - I'm still on standard ride height OEM suspension so hopefully it will be all good

I've been on loads of different forums down the years and this one is the friendliest and most helpful by far (apart from the swinging one (joke))
You’re most welcome.
My 2nd ever forum, after joining the VW California Club one, for hints re camping.

As to another of your queries; I found my LWB T32 Kombi wallowed a lot on standard wheels, tyres and suspension, to the point of feeling disconnected from the road.
My prev ‘12 reg std Renault Trafic SWB HD handled loads better.
I think it was partly down to me not carrying a lot of weight, due to the T32 heavy duty suspension and the sidewalls of std van rated tyres.
It improved when so fitted my new wheels and tyres.
With the H&R -50mm load rated springs the handling is now great.
The ride however can be tooth-rattling, especially at lower speeds, as I kept my very low mileage standard shocks,
It definitely needs @CRS Performance to advise once my bank account has recovered from recent shock of OEM full LED headlights…

I tend to stay away from swings these days, as was getting funny looks, except when pushing my granddaughter!

So I went for the Land Rover 19" wheels I was offered, very pleased with the look but still getting used to the ride and handling after 4 years on the standard 17" wheels

Still on standard height suspension but definitely fills the arches much better

DSC_3657.JPG

DSC_3658.JPG

I like your attitude!
But then, there’s lowered, swamper (raised, OEM or even lowered)
Whatever floats your boat, submarine or balloon!
Needs to go abit lower, just need to persuade my other half that it would be money well spent, spoke to CRS performance a month or so ago about ride comfort etc and was suggested afew options over the phone. Sounds like an extremely knowledgable fella

Needs to go abit lower, just need to persuade my other half that it would be money well spent, spoke to CRS performance a month or so ago about ride comfort etc and was suggested afew options over the phone. Sounds like an extremely knowledgable fella
My thoughts exactly.
I normally run my T32 LWB Kombi virtually empty. On the OEM Devonport wheels and
Continental 215 60R 17C 109/107T tyres the ride felt very vague, especially on any bend and ‘crashy’ on uneven surfaces.
I had H&R -50mm HD springs fitted.
Wheel centres to wheel arch tops dropped 55-60mm front & 50-55mm rear. This gave me the lowered, but not slammed look I was after. Like a well loaded works van, but without the weight!
Handling is now great, but as I kept the almost new std shocks, the ride can jar teeth around town.
I have been mentioning to mine how the shocks are probably now suffering and will need replacing soon.
Still only 13k total miles tho!

So I went for the Land Rover 19" wheels I was offered, very pleased with the look but still getting used to the ride and handling after 4 years on the standard 17" wheels

Still on standard height suspension but definitely fills the arches much better

View attachment 195204

View attachment 195205

Am at a crossroads already with these and looking for some views

Took these out into the countryside and I think the 8.6% jump in circumference is too much for the transmission

Van feels a lot more planted but is less fun to drive, and on some steep 2nd gear climbs it was labouring whereas previously it wouldn't have been an issue

Should I swap the 255/50 to 255/45 so the increase is around 5% or will it still be a bit tooich of a grind for the transmission

Obviously a new set of rubber is going to be around £600 or should I go back to stock and look for different 19's with 45's on ?

Took these out into the countryside and I think the 8.6% jump in circumference is too much for the transmission

Van feels a lot more planted but is less fun to drive, and on some steep 2nd gear climbs it was labouring whereas previously it wouldn't have been an issue

Should I swap the 255/50 to 255/45 so the increase is around 5% or will it still be a bit tooich of a grind for the transmission

Obviously a new set of rubber is going to be around £600 or should I go back to stock and look for different 19's with 45's on ?
Hi @Strettyp.
Sorry to hear you’re having these issues.
Which engine/gearbox and OEM wheel/tyre sizes did yours come with?

My T32 is 150bhp, 7spd DSG and came with 17” Devonports with 215/60 R17 tyres.

I realise knowing more regards the maths doesn’t help solve your ‘feel’ for the drivability, but I use wheel-size to compare wheel/tyre calculations, as it also allows for the ET offset, which helps regarding tyre rubbing issues.

I have estimated the Range Rover wheels at 8.5” rim and offset as ET 45 as an example;
This shows the increase as 7% compared with the 17”OEM setup;

Rim & Tire Size Calculator. Custom Offsets

Use the calculator to find other options which may help?

As you like the wheels could you maybe consider using a reputable used tyre dealer and negotiate a swap for four good used ones to tide you over?
Andy

255/45/19 are the right size, 255/50/19 is still too big, mine are still available?

Hi @Daz60 and welcome to the forum.
Not that I’m a mega-poster, or very old hand, in the forum at least!
We have established the 255/45 r19 has a diameter/rolling radius very similar to that of the OEM 17” Devonports with 215/65 r17 tyres on Euro 6 T32 vans.
To assist others who may be looking for a similar setup to yours, would you happen to know the wheel rim width and offset/ET number, please?
Someone else could be along shortly to tell where this info is, but I’ve not noticed it.
Thanks
Andy

Hi @Daz60 and welcome to the forum.
Not that I’m a mega-poster, or very old hand, in the forum at least!
We have established the 255/45 r19 has a diameter/rolling radius very similar to that of the OEM 17” Devonports with 215/65 r17 tyres on Euro 6 T32 vans.
To assist others who may be looking for a similar setup to yours, would you happen to know the wheel rim width and offset/ET number, please?
Someone else could be along shortly to tell where this info is, but I’ve not noticed it.
Thanks
Andy
Sorry Andy, Genuine VW Amarok Cantera wheels 8j x 19H2 ET 43 5x120

20221018_130603.jpg

20221018_130554.jpg

20220925_153922.jpg

Hi @Daz60.
Thank you for the details and pics.
The ET43 on 9 x 8j with the 255/45 r19 tyres make them look to fill the arches, without standing proud of the bodywork. This will all be of help to others.
What a great colour.
Look really good in your van.
Thanks, Andy

Newly fitted today, drooped down to 19’s as these rims came up for sale.

Super rare (only 3 sets in europe) Radi8 R8S5 2 piece forged alloys, 9” all round with 12mm spacers in the rear.

Really pleased I got these, work much better than the black alloys.

IMG_7992.jpeg

IMG_7991.jpeg

IMG_7990.jpeg

I've finally bitten the bullet and decided to drop from 20's down to 19's.
Wheels should be here Friday ET40, 8.5J, just trying to work out the best tyre option, been looking at 255/40/19, but tempted to go to 45 as a bit of extra protection from the ninja kerbs that seem to jump out at me, the van is currently dropped by approx. 70mm front, 40mm rear.
Will the 40's look lost?
Current set up below (255/45/20), and the wheels will be up for sale soon. Nudge, nudge, wink, wink.

DSC_5145.JPG

Wheels should be here Friday ET40, 8.5J, just trying to work out the best tyre option, been looking at 255/40/19, but tempted to go to 45 as a bit of extra protection from the ninja kerbs that seem to jump out at me, the van is currently dropped by approx. 70mm front, 40mm rear.
Will the 40's look lost?
Current set up below (255/45/20), and the wheels will be up for sale soon. Nudge, nudge,
Will the 40's look lost?
Current set up below (255/45/20), and the wheels will be up for sale soon. Nudge, nudge, wink, wink.

View attachment 204382
I run 255/45r19. Find the ride comfy and not worried about the amount of pot holes around as much as I would be if they were lower! Also the speedo reads correct against gps.

image.jpg

Back