Security Tracker.

really? Any links to this info?

Its not something that could be posted on here, but the installation engineer who fitted ghost 2 told me.

it's not commonly known how to defeat ghost 1, but there is a way... As with most things... sure there will be a way around ghost 2 at some point in the future...

Either way it still adds an extra layer of security that will deter most car thieves.

Make up your own mind but to me it sounds like BS and it's still secure.

Auto watch ghost not so good

Good post, some idea further down as to how good the ghost system is....and that original poster was mis-informed... Also mentions the rs ford which was the car ghost1 was first defeated on...

This information is provided by an accredited Ghost installer and that's two accredited ghost installation engineers now that know of ghost 1 being defeated due to a software bug... Ghost 2 addressed this issue

Last edited:
Spoken with my Ghost installer and he knows nothing about Ghost 1 being cracked so sleep easy ;)

Just to add, Ghost2 will be Thatcham Approved after 1st March. That means all insurance companies will recognise it. Furthermore, it'll be possible to get the older examples upgraded (£100) to Thatcham Approval as well.

Hi,
Spoke to my new insurer today and they've now asked for a tracker to be fitted to my new van due to value. Has to be CAT5 minimum - whatever that means.
Any advice on the cheapest option please? I've fitted them on other cars before but only want bear minimum for my van to

Insurance approved trackers are normally fitted professionally and subscription based.

We have the MetaSat (VW approved/used etc)

£99 per year I think. 1st year included in installation charge.

Insurance approved trackers are normally fitted professionally and subscription based.

We have the MetaSat (VW approved/used etc)

£99 per year I think. 1st year included in installation charge.

Thanks. Much cheaper than my usual Smartrack one. I'll take a look... :)

I have the global telemetrics smartrak S7... they offer the lifetime subscription for 399 so no annual fee's and 199 fitted... ideal if you plan on keeping the vehicle a number of years...

S7 tracker

I have the global telemetrics smartrak S7... they offer the lifetime subscription for 399 so no annual fee's and 199 fitted... ideal if you plan on keeping the vehicle a number of years...

S7 tracker
Thanks. So is that the equivalent of a Cat 5?

Have you asked whether they’d accept a Ghost immobiliser?
Not yet. They seem more expensive than trackers though...or at least thats what it seems like on their site having had a quick look.

I have both ghost 2 and the S7 fitted.. i didn't get a discount with ghost fitted although the insurer (admiral) thought it was a good idea.. and it wasn't quite as well heard of then...

Having both fitted may be overkill but it's certainly peace of mind... the tracker was an insurance requirement though due to the insured value being north of 55K.

The S7 has replaced the Thatcham category 6.

The top end one is the S5 which replaced the Thatcham cat5... that has facial recognition and remote car disable functions but was a little dearer again and not a requirement of the insurer... in my case with ghost 2 already fitted I felt I had enough bases covered... the S7 system provides live tracking and comes with an app and telemetrics customer support backed up by police vehicle recovery... i have dealt with the customer support unit once and they were very efficient.. cant comment on vehicle recovery and hope to keep it that way...

Hope this helps.. Good luck...

I have both ghost 2 and the S7 fitted.. i didn't get a discount with ghost fitted although the insurer (admiral) thought it was a good idea.. and it wasn't quite as well heard of then...

Having both fitted may be overkill but it's certainly peace of mind... the tracker was an insurance requirement though due to the insured value being north of 55K.

The S7 has replaced the Thatcham category 6.

The top end one is the S5 which replaced the Thatcham cat5... that has facial recognition and remote car disable functions but was a little dearer again and not a requirement of the insurer... in my case with ghost 2 already fitted I felt I had enough bases covered... the S7 system provides live tracking and comes with an app and telemetrics customer support backed up by police vehicle recovery... i have dealt with the customer support unit once and they were very efficient.. cant comment on vehicle recovery and hope to keep it that way...

Hope this helps.. Good luck...
Thank you. It's strange because A Plan said 'it probably' has to be Cat 5 as a minimum??? Sounds like 5 is pretty high.
My motor will be around 55-60k after mods (predicted) so similar to yours by the sound of it

Don’t get influenced by the hype of Police tracking and recovery. Police forces are busy dealing with mental health, domestic violence and serious crime.
Your vehicle maybe recovered if it has been involved in a serious accident or serious crime otherwise you're on your own in the UK.

Back